Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth - "Resto-Rod" - Interior pictures added

Ramfins59

Here's an AMT 1941 Plymouth that I've wanted to build for a long time.  I was in a Street Rod mood, so I decided to build it as a restored car with some mechanical upgrades and dress-up parts.  The color is Tamiya British Green.  The whitewall tires are from Steve Zimmerman.  The straight-six flathead engine has a pre-wired distributor from MAD, heater hoses, fuel & vacuum lines, photo-etched bolt heads, a dipstick, and an aluminum air cleaner & bee-hive oil filter.  I added a brake master cylinder & line to the firewall along with battery terminals & cables.

Unfortunately, I neglected to take pictures of the interior before I assembled the car?, but, it is painted Tamiya gray-green with green embossing powder for carpeting.  I added resin door handles & window cranks plus some chrome trim to the door panels.  The dashboard is painted body color with BMF detailing.

This was a fun break from working on 1950's cars, but now it's back to the 1957 Desoto which was giving me assembly issues.  Thanks for looking in on this... Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.

HPIM5421.JPG

HPIM5422.JPG

HPIM5423.JPG

HPIM5424.JPG

HPIM5425.JPG

HPIM5427.JPG

HPIM5426.JPG

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Pretty cool! I like that you kept the flatty 6!

Thanks Tom.  I actually built the engine several years ago...  My daughter, Jamie, moved in with us back in '08 and shortly thereafter she had a 1:1 '59 Dodge 4 door Sedan flatbedded to our house here in PA that she bought when she lived back on Long Island.  She gave it to me as a "surprise"...  It didn't run, dead battery, no brakes and was a real "rustbucket" all around..... The cleanest and best part of the car was the interior.   I guess she thought I needed a "project" since I used to own and drive a '59 Dodge 2 door Hardtop.  Well, the car just needed waaaay too much work for me to even attempt, both physically & financially so I talked her into selling the car to someone locally to get her money back.  While the car was sitting at the side of our driveway, one day I took my digital camera outside and shot pics of the engine from every angle.  The car had a straight-six flathead engine...!!!  (I think the '59 Dodge was one of the last cars to come with a flathead engine)  Knowing that I had the '41 Plymouth kit with the flathead engine, and a couple of Johan '59 Dodge promos, I was going to try to make a model with the straight-six flatty.  Using all the photos that I took as reference, I built the engine as detailed as I was able, to use in a model....... Well, I never used it in a '59 Dodge model but it wound up back home here in the '41 Plymouth.  Long story, but that's the way it happened. 

Ha!  I thought I knew you well, but I didn't know the story about the second '59 Dodge!  All in all a very thoughtful daughter, even though it didn't work out all that well.  

I have a stash of '41 Plymouths bought cheap for the flathead 6 engines.  Like you I've had visions of creating some 1950s Mopars (my cousin George had a '59 Belvedere with a flatty), but haven't gotten there yet.  I did use one in my '34 Ford rod, just to be different.  For my engine detailing, I found a rebuilt engine that was for sale on eBay with great photos! 

Tom V contacted me today about NNL East, so I'm hoping to see you and your latest builds in a few months!

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Well done! I like all the added detail in the engine bay.

One question. Did you leave the windshield center post out as part of the customization?

David G.

Thanks David.  I must have "overlooked" that part in the kit... I think it looks OK without it though.

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Good looking build.  How is the kit overall?  I recently picked one up.

Thanks Jim.  It's a pretty good kit considering its age.  There is some flash but not too horrible.  The instructions only show diagrams for parts placement and don't call out part names.  It goes together pretty well, and the straight-six flathead engine is a great addition to have.

• Ramfins59 changed the title to 1941 Plymouth - "Resto-Rod" - Interior pictures added

Chrysler used their flat head six longer than anyone because it was a simple and dependable engine. I can attest; in the late 80s I owned a 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coupe with a flat head six, and that car ran quiet, idled smooth, and started in cold weather as good as any car I've owned since. Surprised everyone who opened the hood!

6 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Chrysler used their flat head six longer than anyone because it was a simple and dependable engine. I can attest; in the late 80s I owned a 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coupe with a flat head six, and that car ran quiet, idled smooth, and started in cold weather as good as any car I've owned since. Surprised everyone who opened the hood!

The Plymouth engine is dependable and great as long as you keep it stock but any performance mods and it will fly to pieces. :P
I like the build, but I must ask one thing, I have always thought that the AMT 41 has a very nose high, almost gasser-like stance. Were they like this from the factory? I have never seen one IRL since 1940-42 american cars are very rare in Europe, but I don't remember our 1946 sitting like that....