Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to buy model car kits???

10 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

How far are you from Wheaton, IL?  There's a good place (at least used to be) when the hobby show is at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.

I’m a few hours away. Do they still swap meets up there?

Edited by 2zwudz

Model Roundup provides excellent service , from packaging to shipping --- flawless . 

If I don't wish to travel to the local Hobby Lobby or Hobbytown ( you can keep that traffic , Temecula ! I can't afford to lose more hair !) , then I'll peruse eBay . Oftentimes , the 'Free Shipping' is ostensibly factored-into the overall final price , and I'm okay with that within reason .

In spite of my final statement ; I prefer supporting "brick & mortar" stores as much as I can ( Burbank's House of Hobbies : I'll see you tomorrow ! ) , but even then , unfortunately , their selection of styrene is usually thin . I did buy a copy of the excellent Revell 1968 Chevelle SS-396 at Hobbytown on-impulse --- my primary objective was purchasing Tamiya Panel Line Accent ( one light grey , one black ) --- but their selection was meager-at-best .

So , yeah , eBay , Model Roundup are both great mail order options .

I go every other week on Thursdays to Hobbly Lobby, Ollie's, Michael's and about every 4th time Hobbytown.

I call it "making my rounds"... lol my wife hates it.

So, depending on what's in stock, or what kinda of price is on the box... I come home with a few kits at a max of about $14 each after utilizing each stores respective coupons.

As far as online... occasionally amazon, plazaJapan, and Ebay.

I haven't seen Freetime Hobbies mentioned, but they're another great online vendor.  They usually ship very quickly and sometimes have free shipping deals. 

They're still having their moving sale, which I posted about last week.  It has some good deals on car kits and detail sets.

Freetime also has a retail store in Blue Ridge, GA (that's in Fannin County, up in the mountains).  Because they do so much online business, the store is only open 1 Friday per month.  AFAIK, they haven't said where they're moving to but I'm guessing it won't be far away.  Get on their e-mail list and they'll notify you when the store is open to visitors.  

https://freetimehobbies.com/