Model Cars Magazine Forum

Save the speedwagon

Cpt Tuttle

On my 12th birthday, I got a Speedwagon as a gift from my father, and I thought it was really cool and started building it immediately.
The last time I saw it though it was in a pretty sad shape after my,  ehrm, not very good skills back then, plus 20+ years of abuse.

I have thought about getting another kit for years, but that would feel quite soulless compared to my old Speedwagon build. I must say that I am not a huge fan of it anymore, maybe the design didn't stand up to the test of time forever, or maybe I have started loving more stock looking bodies as I matured.

So when a built object came from a friend, I decided to try saving the old Speedwagon.DSC02067.JPG.d052b94289d87a94d73241843ff4c32b.JPG

Yellow car is the one I got in my mailbox, really clean build that is put together with minimal amounts of glue.

Blue car is my 12 year old self's pride and joy, built too fast with horrible amounts of glue everywhere. The sane thing would be to build up the yellow car again. But I will never turn 12 again and there will only be one like this, so I am prying it apart and will use as many parts as saveable.Will keep most of its soul that way, and the yellow one ill be a good parts donor I guess.

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I would have built the yellow one as an adult today and kept the blue one as a reminder of how much you've progressed. 

I wish I had kept my early builds, just so I could have a window back in time.

I understand what you mean, if it had been able to hold up a little bit better I would have kept it in the condition it was. But in current condition it is only a reminder of the disappointment with the model that started to fall apart, and I tried to repair it with the results of smeared glue everywhere, mostly.  And with seats rattling around in the interior tub the body had to come off anyway, so.....

• 2 weeks later...

DSC02069.JPG.4f48bcc8af1838594e7321f091d7d8af.JPG
Some of the parts collected in the bath. The frame was ruined by gallons of glue so I use the frame from the yellow car, also the fenders since I apparantly thought that I needed another gallon of glue to fasten the headlight bar to the old ones. It probably would have been better to use the yellow body too but the spirit of the build is in the body IMO, it's no restoration anymore if using a different body, so I save the blue one. The firewall is from the yellow one since I couldn't make it come loose in one piece, probably another gallon of glue there. The yellow one had no hood and the blue one was ruined by....yup, you're guessing right, glue. So I have gotten a hood from another builder. Most of the interior are still from the blue one, except for dash and steering column, since for some reason I had glued the steering column and wheel upside down on my old dash...

DSC02072.JPG.a16e2dc018cd1c91e32919a642fdb1b0.JPG
Got some paint on the body and fenders.

DSC02074.JPG.12bcb9ea9e0a766a25214c7cb9391a6e.JPG
Interior is much better looking this time, I think that I can only have painted it with one coat of too thin paint last time, it was white plastic shining through everywhere.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:44 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I would have built the yellow one as an adult today and kept the blue one as a reminder of how much you've progressed. 

I wish I had kept my early builds, just so I could have a window back in time.

WORD

• 1 month later...