Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Volkswagen misprint box

? Well, that's embarrassing!  I'll bet some clueless, non-model-building eBay sellers are already hawking it as a "RARE!!! Collectible Misprint Box," starting bid $99.99 or Buy It Now for $One Kajillion Dollars.

For VW collectors or occasional military builders in here, Rye Field Models recently released a new 1/35 scale "German Staff Car Type 82E."  No mention of Volkswagen anywhere, of course.  Before this kit, the only WWII-era VWs were done by the Czech company CMK.  They were OK but pretty clunky.  

vw_rfm.jpg

3 hours ago, highway said:

This has been happening for years, this is an early to mid 80s release, which is the right one?

There's a sedan kit in the box, even if it does say "coupe."  At least I never heard of anybody getting a '40 coupe in that box.  Though it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. 

18 hours ago, Mike999 said:

There's a sedan kit in the box, even if it does say "coupe."  At least I never heard of anybody getting a '40 coupe in that box.  Though it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. 

Yes, but to the point of the thread and box misprints, the box is still misprinted with "COUPE" while showing the sedan on the box art. I never said that the kit itself was wrong inside, in my comment with the box art pics where I was asking which was the right one, I was talking about the correct box, not the kit inside. I was trying to see exactly how many might actually be able to tell a coupe from a sedan. 

3 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

On a slightly related note, I’ve been wanting to build a Beetle - is this kit decent compared to the Tamiya one?  Anything terrible about this one that should make me spend the extra on the Tamiya kit instead?

The tamiya is my preference but thats mainly due to the transkits i have being for them. I believe the revell are sedan and convert from slightly later years than the tamiya but they are both decent kits. Also the tamiya kits are cheaper than the revell ones on this side of the pond somehow. Its really down to what year you want to build. If your not too worried about having an engine theres also the gunze oval and italeri 70s versions. The curbsides are basic but nice enough for the price but I'm in the uk so again they're cheaper here.

corbo11

How 'bout this one?  The guy who used to repair our cars was a VW nut.  To the point that he had two resto projects going on inside the shop, so they would work on customer cars outdoors in all kinds of weather!   This was one of his.  He as since closed up shop and retired.

16 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

corbo11

How 'bout this one?  The guy who used to repair our cars was a VW nut.  To the point that he had two resto projects going on inside the shop, so they would work on customer cars outdoors in all kinds of weather!   This was one of his.  He as since closed up shop and retired.

I haven't seen a wizard kit in years, and thats the first van version i've seen. All the rest were convertibles

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

This was one of his.  He as since closed up shop and retired.

Vision problems are a killer. Ugh. 

Hysterical multilingual history of an unrelated car. If only it was about a 2020 Vette on a VW kit, it'd satisfy all thread needs. 

BTW, we really need a Hebmuller cabrio and a splitty. Stock or Cal-look. 

Edited by DukeE

5 minutes ago, DukeE said:

Vision problems are a killer. Ugh. 

Hysterical multilingual history of an unrelated car. If only it was about a 2020 Vette on a VW kit, it'd satisfy all thread needs. 

BTW, we really need a Hebmuller cabrio and a splitty. Stock or Cal-look. 

They are out there in resin, I have both in the stash from bestmodelcarparts on ebay and they are very nice

If you really want to get technical it was a hold over from and the last of the fat fendered  design of cars from the 40's!

Just because it is a VW does not change that!

I remember the old guys whining at a local car show when the Bugs were put in the same corral as their old Fords and Chevys!LOL

3 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

If you really want to get technical it was a hold over from and the last of the fat fendered  design of cars from the 40's!

Just because it is a VW does not change that!

I remember the old guys whining at a local car show when the Bugs were put in the same corral as their old Fords and Chevys!LOL

the final design was done in 1938 so the box wasn't that far off,

5 hours ago, CabDriver said:

On a slightly related note, I’ve been wanting to build a Beetle - is this kit decent compared to the Tamiya one?  Anything terrible about this one that should make me spend the extra on the Tamiya kit instead?

There's not much difference in price.  Hobby Lobby has the "Calif. Wheels" '68 VW Bug for $29.99, but the 40% off coupon will knock that down to $17.99.  The Tamiya '66 Bug is available from online vendors for about $24 and sometimes goes on sale.  

But the Tamiya doesn't have the modern suspension and detailed small block mentioned in the tri-lingual info. Here I thought the 40's small ford was the GPW. Nope, the fat-fendered 37 Ford VW. Ford WAS an anti-semite, so there's that. ?

Tricky Volkswagen in the title turns into a Bug = Fat-fendered rod thread. Learn something every day :)

Many years ago (late 80's early 90's), Ertl used to print info about the kit on the bottom of the box. One of my purchases back then was an AMT '32 Ford kit, but the bottom of the box had the info on the '69 Hurst Olds kit. That's slightly different because I can see a separate box top and bottom that are supposed to go together getting mixed before packaging. I want to say on a recent trip to a hobby shop I saw a Datsun truck with the name spelled "Datstun" on the box. Humans are only human after all!