Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Mustang Wagon

Reuhkapelti2

I know, '67 Shelby  is an icon among muscle cars. That can't stop me from making some changes to it's appearance or drive train, as good looking classic as it really is. 

AMT Shelby GT350 has been sitting in the box for many years. Usually I have a pretty clear image in my head, what to do to the model I'm starting to work with, but this time I have just a fade of idea. 

First I started by cutting the nose and gluing some plastic too to it. Let's see how it goes later. I found some fine wheels too, but sadly only three of them. 

IMG_20200124_214244.jpg

IMG_20200124_220537.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

I agree, those wheels are awesome. After my furious search I managed to find the missing fourth wheel. Sometime in the past it had lost some of the lip, so I filed another wheel to match it and put them in front. The rear wheels will that way have more lip and a bit wider tires too. 

Where those wheels came to my parts box, I have no clue. Maybe I bought them from a show room sales table. 

But what on earth did happen to the the roof of this poor Mustang? And why is there a mysterious long roof lying behind that abused body shell? 

IMG_20200126_213316.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Thanks everybody. I think a little duck tail could work fine and a straight rear window, with curves in the lower corners. The side windows will have that original curve in the bottom edge. Otherwise it looks too much like a shoebox. 

IMG_20200127_202202.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

Thanks again everyone. 

Some progress here. I got the narrow moldings done above and around the windows. Then I started to modify the interior to look more like a wagon style. 

Is is just me, but does the wheels look a bit too big for this body? This is not ment to be a pro street wagon? 

IMG_20200129_185456.jpg

IMG_20200129_185522.jpg

1 hour ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Okay now the front wheel lips are painted silver. Earlier they were still black due to the filing I did. 

Same wheels, same tires. Still look too big? 

IMG_20200130_153018.jpg

Having the top of the tire hidden behind the fender does tend to make the tires look a little big but I can't decide if they just 'look' too big or 'are' too big.  On a somewhat related note I'm not sure if it's the little piece of the exhaust system (?) that's peeking out below the body but to me it looks like it's sagging in the backend and could be raised up slightly.

Thanks for your comment, Ray. Much appreciated! The wheels are too deep or the body is too low for sure, there are no axles yet at all. And no exhaust either, the sagging part is the floor panel showing underneath the body shell. 

I will raise the whole body up, when I get the axles installed. 

Today I started wondering about the engine/ transmission. I've had this old Ford Cammer 427 stashed for years. It's been bought somewhere already glued and roughly painted. The valve covers were assembled wrong (opposite) sides, but I got them loose and re glued left/right. The engine is not very accurate at all, but it could do the thing. 

The air cleaner is not neccessary the one I'll use. 

`67 Ford Mustang Wagon 427 Cammer, how cool is that? 

IMG_20200130_173418.jpg