Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best scale engines??

Who do you recommend for the best scale engines? Does anyone sell quality  Ford 427, 426 Hemi and the Ford 289 engines.  Like a engine kit 1/24 1/25 scale. Drag and street engines?  For example if I want to put a Ford 427 drag engine in a 66 mustang. Where can i go to get a engine only without buying a complete kit?

Edited by 2zwudz

28 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

I guess you didn't see the thread pinned at the top of this very page titled "crate motor roundup".  

It doesn’t mention a word about the question that I asked in that post. It has no info in it just arguing ???

Edited by 2zwudz

2 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Your question is vague or quite broad depending on how its read.  Are you asking what are the best versions of each of the referenced engines?  What about scale?  1/25?  What application?  Street?  Race? 

You beat me to it. Would be real helpful to know how you want to use these engines--stock, hot rodded, full race? What cars are you using them in? What years? Exact application will greatly affect the answer of what's "best." 

3 hours ago, 2zwudz said:

For example if I want to put a Ford 427 drag engine in a 66 mustang. Where can i go to get a engine only without buying a complete kit?

Revell reissued their nice Parts Pack 427 wedge engine a decade or more ago, but they're still available at reasonable prices on eBay and such. I don't know of any "separately available" SOHC 427s. 

I made a 426 Hemi from what I found to be the best starting point in the Revell '68 Dodge Dart Hemi 2'n1 Model Kit Special Edition. I have the base engine listed on eBay, search for Resin Hemi "426" Engine. I have more I'm working on but so far that is whats ready.

Why is there so many people posting that how do I search post? This is a message board, without questions it wouldn't be here.
Sorry about the oversized picture, but everything but the fan belt an carbs are resin I offer.

This is the thread you want, I had this bookmarked since it wasn't a sticky thread. They would save a lot of drama if they replaced that crate motor roundup thread with this one.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/81741-engine-sources/

IMG_1100.JPG

Edited by ScottH454

23 minutes ago, ScottH454 said:

I made a 426 Hemi from what I found to be the best starting point in the Revell '68 Dodge Dart Hemi 2'n1 Model Kit Special Edition. I have the base engine listed on eBay, search for Resin Hemi "426" Engine. I have more I'm working on but so far that is whats ready.

Why is there so many people posting that how do I search post? This is a message board, without questions it wouldn't be here.

IMG_1100.JPG

Good question!! ???

Edited by 2zwudz

On 1/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, afx said:

Lots of parts sellers including full engines on eBay but, (gulp) you will have to search for them. :)

Depending on the kit source, it may be better to just buy a whole kit. The 427 in the Revell 1964 Fairlane is a pretty decent engine and that kit has been released many times.
Again, though, you will need to spend some time researching options and prices...which may or may not be your thing.

Posting in the wanted section could also turn up options as many builders on here have a ton of old parts just laying around.

It’s also helpful to have a good description in your post’s title, with specifics, if there are any.

Maybe BNL resins, and perhaps shapeways.

There are quite a few good engines to be had in kit form... especially if you aquire aftermarket carbs/intakes/headers etc...

For example... AMT GTX has a pretty decent Hemi, and also wedge motor (externally the same)... 413, 426, 440 etc...

Revell has a pretty darn good big block Chevy...

Look at some of the builds on this forum and find engines that you like, then PM the builder directly and inquire about what they used and where they sourced their parts. I find that's alot better option than making a quasi vague post that could and has yielded questionable results.

Fireball makes some pretty darn good carbs...etc. they have some of the best non 3d printed holleys I've ever seen.

Best advice I've got for you... ymmv.

14 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Maybe BNL resins, and perhaps shapeways.

There are quite a few good engines to be had in kit form... especially if you aquire aftermarket carbs/intakes/headers etc...

For example... AMT GTX has a pretty decent Hemi, and also wedge motor (externally the same)... 413, 426, 440 etc...

Revell has a pretty darn good big block Chevy...

Look at some of the builds on this forum and find engines that you like, then PM the builder directly and inquire about what they used and where they sourced their parts. I find that's alot better option than making a quasi vague post that could and has yielded questionable results.

Fireball makes some pretty darn good carbs...etc. they have some of the best non 3d printed holleys I've ever seen.

Best advice I've got for you... ymmv.

Thank you!!!

On 1/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, 2zwudz said:

Who do you recommend for the best scale engines? Does anyone sell quality  Ford 427, 426 Hemi and the Ford 289 engines.  Like a engine kit 1/24 1/25 scale. Drag and street engines?  For example if I want to put a Ford 427 drag engine in a 66 mustang. Where can i go to get a engine only without buying a complete kit?

As for the 427 Ford, that is a long complicated answer that has been batted around extensively. I don't have the main thread handy.

As for the rest, in most cases an after market engine, resin or 3D printed will be more expensive than buying a kit. I have never regretted, buying parts kits. Especially if I can get them cheaply at a swap meet or a junkyard lot on Ebay. There's always a use for spare parts. 

I recommend asking this question on a case by case basis. If you asked, "What kit has the best street hemi?", you apt to get more direct answers.