Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Hobby shop in San Diego?

Hate to say this but there are no standout hobby shops.  It seems that the major shop, Discount Hobby warehouse is closing its main store. 

The only one I am familar with in SoCal is Pegasus in Montclair.  https://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/index.html?osCsid=12h1l3qudptvmp28m0b5jdl850  Worth the trip, but on a good day it is still over an hour and a half or more from San Diego. 

There is also Brookhurst Hobbies https://brookhursthobbies.com/, in beautiful Garden Grove,  but it is also an hour and a half minimum and you get the joy of experiencing the 405.  No worse traffic in California.  

If you have only one to go to, Pegasus is my choice. Sorry I don't have any better answers for you. Perhaps someone else will be better able to help you out. 

Discount Hobbies on Clairemont is the best in the area. I understand that the owner wants to redevelop that property, but that's a few years off. They have at least couple of years on their lease, and the owner is required to give them a year's notice before cancelling it. They have an extensive selection of paints and finishing supplies. They also carry a good selection of Evergreen styrene.

There's also have a location in Escondido. They're reasonably well stocked, but they don't have quite the selection of paint the Clairemont store has. 

To the east is HobbyTown in Santee. They don't have a deep selection of kits, but the kits they have are good. They do have a good stock of paints and finishing supplies. I don't recall seeing any Evergreen plastic there, but I wasn't looking for it either.