Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights Petty Charger

gks1964

Has anybody here completed one of these kits?

I opened one of them out of the stash today and didn't care for much of what I saw! The detail seems lacking, the engine and frame look very unrealistic to me. The body seems fixable, but I think the rest of the parts need replaced. Wanted some opinions, possible parts sources for and just general thoughts on this kit. This is what I intended to build.

Thanks.

Gerald

DaleSrcar1975.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt T. said:

In a video posted to the Salvinos JR Facebook page this past Saturday, he states a tentative release for the Charger kit as “end of summer“.

Think it's time to put the Polar Lights kit away and wait. I have the Yesterday's decal sheet and want to use them on the best possible donor kit!

Thanks' Gerald

On 1/27/2020 at 6:05 PM, gks1964 said:

Bill,

That came out nice1 Did you rework the engine or replace it ?

Gerald

It's been a while.  I think I used the MPC engine to represent a 426 wedge. It represents  a  car before the transition point in 72-73 when they were forced to go to small blocks because of the rules. 

2 hours ago, Steamboat said:

It's been a while.  I think I used the MPC engine to represent a 426 wedge. It represents  a  car before the transition point in 72-73 when they were forced to go to small blocks because of the rules. 

That’s a real nice build. Looks like you thinned the rollbars a lot

18 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

That’s a real nice build. Looks like you thinned the rollbars a lot

Yep, they are pretty stout in that kit. I found that the cages from the PL Mercury and Talladega can be substituted for the Dodge cage with only a little fitting and has a much closer to scale appearance.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...