Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 Boss 302 Mustang diecast kit modded.

Geno

Picked this up at the local Hobby Lobby today. It's crappy out today, rain and snow so it gave me something to tinker with. Detailed the interior including flocking the floorboards, detail painted the buckles for the seatbelts and the shifter, also painted the headliner black. Took the tail lights out and darkened them up from the backside, they weren't much darker than the body paint, also painted the headlight stems white. Detailed the engine compartment a bit and drilled the tailpipes out and aluminized the mufflers and tips. Put the tires on my portable drill and sanded the treads and added my own personalized plate, nothing too crazy but it did improve it quite a bit. It is a nice looking model overall and fits in with my newer Mustang models. Plus it looks great with my GT500.

20200125_165418.jpg

20200125_172802.jpg

20200125_172956.jpg

20200125_173226.jpg

20200125_174132.jpg

20200125_183943.jpg

20200125_184045.jpg

Edited by Geno

Your Snake-Fu skills are very strong, grasshopper! Well done! B)

I have one of these I did similar Fu on but you went a step further with the engine and interior work. 

Isn't it fun to do a project of this sort in an afternoon or two and get it on your shelf? There's no better model car value in time or money than a quick, simple improvement project on a $10 Rite Aid Welly, a $20 Walmart M2, or a 40% off Hobby Lobby diecast. Model on! B)

2 hours ago, Geno said:

Thanks guys, Rich, it sure is. It's satisfying to do in just a few short hours and have a nice model on the shelf.?

Yep.  If you can get something in a color that works for you, it saves a lot of the chances of screwing something up and goes so quick to detail a diecast.  

After modeling for 40ish years, I don't get quite as excited about planning and painting and such.  Waiting for planets to align and the moon to be in it's proper place for the paint to go on smoothly is just not as exciting as it used to be.  

9 hours ago, Geno said:

Thanks guys, Rich, it sure is. It's satisfying to do in just a few short hours and have a nice model on the shelf.?

I have to agree... Although, there's nothing like the feeling of getting a 2 month build completed, I quite enjoy the relaxation I get from just fiddling with a few things on a die cast; and getting it done and displayed in only 2 hours.... That's just pure FUN!!! No real headaches, and the subjects are more vast than the plastics.... I've only been collecting for a few years, but I have found I like die casts WAY better and MUCH cheaper!!!! ? Big time game changer....

Edited by kilrathy10

18 hours ago, randyc said:

Yep.  If you can get something in a color that works for you, it saves a lot of the chances of screwing something up and goes so quick to detail a diecast.  

After modeling for 40ish years, I don't get quite as excited about planning and painting and such.  Waiting for planets to align and the moon to be in it's proper place for the paint to go on smoothly is just not as exciting as it used to be.  

Amen Buddy lol, I have some painting to do but it's just too cold right now.?☹️

Yep on temps to paint.   I was down in building last evening - 48 ish in building, but I was hot anyway, so it felt reasoanble.  I managed to polish up a couple and start another one.  See thread on car condition I'm about to start.