Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Pantera

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone! the last thing i wanted to do was to start yet another build, but due to the fact that my Testors cans of lacquer -new ones, are leaking at the base, i need to paint this body before this kolor goes off as well....Heres a kolor look i'm going for....

download.jpg

p3_2k-1024x683.jpg

p1_2k-1024x683.jpg

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, everyone! the last thing i wanted to do was to start yet another build, but due to the fact that my Testors cans of lacquer -new ones, are leaking at the base, i need to paint this body before this kolor goes off as well....Heres a kolor look i'm going for....

NEW? Testors lacquers leaking? Like the the Root Beer Brown Metallic?

14 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

NEW? Testors lacquers leaking? Like the the Root Beer Brown Metallic?

New as in unused, lol....sofar i lost a couple blues, and a Plumb Crazy -ALL unused. I dont use this paint, but i really liked the Root Beer, so i got some specifically for this build.

Lets start this off!!

-Photo 1; Here are the areas to be removed.

-Photo 2; In order to open the lower vent, the attachment points need to be moved out just a tad. Dont know why they couldnt have molded them there to begin with, knowing what we all like to do with them.

-Photo 3; After opening the top grill, i did a test-fit, and noticed that the body had a ledge that needs to go away...

-Photo 4; ....no more ledge, and the fascia can now be glued in place. Sorry about the lousy photos.

DSCF9431.JPG

DSCF9432.JPG

DSCF9435.JPG

DSCF9436.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

14 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

New as in unused, lol....sofar i lost a couple blues, and a Plumb Crazy -ALL unused. I dont use this paint, but i really liked the Root Beer, so i got some specifically for this build.

Root Beer is a beautiful color, but a bit redder and a bit browner than the Pantera in your pics. You might like their Bronze better if you're trying to match it. Though both are pretty sparkly. 

Root Beer: 

66Chevelle118.jpg.53f05ad5d1b8f4498b8c408ac2748203.jpg

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Root Beer is a beautiful color, but a bit redder and a bit browner than the Pantera in your pics. You might like their Bronze better if you're trying to match it. Though both are pretty sparkly. 

Root Beer: 

66Chevelle118.jpg.53f05ad5d1b8f4498b8c408ac2748203.jpg

I've seen this kolor in so many different lighting conditions, i coulda swore they looked similar at some point, lol......thanks for the idea!, i do have another kolor from Duplicolor that i prefer, that may work if i shoot it over a black primer. By the way; that Chevy looks GREAT!!!....any more photos of it?....you can post'em here -i'd love to check them out!!!

17 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

By the way; that Chevy looks GREAT!!!....any more photos of it?....you can post'em here -i'd love to check them out!!!

Thanks, and oh my yes I have buttloads of pics of the wretched old Monogram backbirth as I Snake-whipped it to the finish line of the Bring Out Your Dead Build, Round 5 (finished New Years Day this year). I'll eventually do a Under Glass thread on it, but in the meantime, there are a couple other pics of it in the BOYD thread here in the Workbench, two completed pics on page 40 and maybe a few in-progress photos in the pages before that. B)

Not long ago I shot a project using a Testor can that had leaked. I didn't have any problem. It looks like a certain amount of product leaks out, and then it hardens and seals itself, and then it's bidness as usual. I didn't notice any reduction in pressure, either. 

Not sayin' this is NORMAL, just sayin' that's what happened for me in this case. 

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks, and oh my yes I have buttloads of pics of the wretched old Monogram backbirth as I Snake-whipped it to the finish line of the Bring Out Your Dead Build, Round 5 (finished New Years Day this year). I'll eventually do a Under Glass thread on it, but in the meantime, there are a couple other pics of it in the BOYD thread here in the Workbench, two completed pics on page 40 and maybe a few in-progress photos in the pages before that. B)

Thanks!...i will have to check it out!

5 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dann.....most of my Testors Laquers have leaked as well.   Seems to be a common problem. If I plan on using them I will de-cant them and airbrush. Are you planning on doing the same?

Nah.....i'm planning on binning them..

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Not long ago I shot a project using a Testor can that had leaked. I didn't have any problem. It looks like a certain amount of product leaks out, and then it hardens and seals itself, and then it's bidness as usual. I didn't notice any reduction in pressure, either. 

Not sayin' this is NORMAL, just sayin' that's what happened for me in this case. 

Thanks for the info, bud!

More of an update here, everyone!

*Sorry about the jumbled-up photos again.

-Photo 1; While taking this chassis in, and out of the body, i discovered that this process was a paint chipping disaster waiting to happen. It has to be one of the tightest fits i've ever encountered, so, since its a VERY basic chassis, i was gonna make things easier by eliminating enough of the fender wells to clear the body easily.  Also; notice that i just removed the front contact pins instead of relocating them -they arent needed.

-Photo 2; The front mesh is opened, and next will be the new framework for it. Since i didnt want the thin vent on the very bottom, i glued thin styrene over it.

-Photo 3; Rear vent is open, and ready for new framework. I know the right vertical looks crooked, but its an illusion.

-Photo 4; I used CA glue to fill-in the bonnet vents....the pencil lead filled it in as well, lol. These vents are VERY deceivingly deep.

-Photo 5; This is the chin spoiler i made...it will be attached after the vents framework is finished.

-Photo 6; Chassis pre-assembly

-Photo 7; All my stencils ready to go!

DSCF9445.JPG

DSCF9440.JPG

DSCF9441.JPG

DSCF9442.JPG

DSCF9446.JPG

DSCF9443.JPG

DSCF9439.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Before i can paint the body, i also need to make sure the wheels/tyres fit...

-Photo 1-5; This is the stance i was looking for. I had to trim-out the rear wheel wells, and i will be adding new flares with Milliput.

-Photo 6; This is the inspiration.

-Photo 7; The tyres are from a Fujimi Porsche 917, and the added rings are from a spare set of Fujimi wheels.

DSCF9447.JPG

DSCF9448.JPG

DSCF9449.JPG

DSCF9450.JPG

DSCF9451.JPG

1973-de-tomaso-pantera.jpg

DSCF9452.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Time to do the new fender flares to cover those huge tyres!

-Photo 1-3; I like to use thin strips of styrene glued to the body...sticking out as close as possible to the edge shape, and width. It gives something very solid to push the putty into.

-Photo 4; Another reason i use the styrene strip, is that it will be a reminder to stop shaping. Once the plastic is sanded away, then you stop, and you have the tyre-body gap you planned for.

-Photo 5; I like to draw the shape i'm looking for, and when i start seeing the pencil through the putty, it lets me know that i'm on track.

-Photo 6; I rolled out the putty with a taper at each end, put the thicker middle section at the top of the arch, and began pressing it into shape with a scrap piece of styrene...used my fingers dipped in water to smooth it out....trim any excess with a blade...smooth again, and there you have it!...a sweet, easy to finish fender flare!!

-Photo 7; Here i'm pointing at a tiny bit of excess putty, to help during the final shaping process, so you dont have to add more.

DSCF9456.JPG

DSCF9457.JPG

DSCF9458.JPG

DSCF9459.JPG

DSCF9460.JPG

DSCF9461.JPG

DSCF9462.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier