Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Vicky. ??

NYLIBUD

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Sharp car! You could get a set of Mustang wheels from a salvage yard and they would bolt right on..... probably dress it up quite nice...

Good idea.I was thinking about trying to find a set of black Marauder wheels.But I kind of like the sleeper look too..As far as a cut off switch,I don’t think it has one.It does have a cut off switch under the steering column.I hit it once by accident ,and the car cut off while it was sitting.Then I found the switch, hit it again, and the car turned back on.I guess it’s a safety button for police to cut off their cars when they want to leave their keys in the ignition.Idk,not sure.And the other good thing about these cars, besides being built extra tough by Ford ,is that they drive like a smooth Caddy.If your thinking about getting one, buy it, there great cars.I wanted a Marauder,but I couldn’t find a decent one in my price range.So the Vic was the next best thing.You can beat the hell out of them, and they keep on going.

23 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Good idea.I was thinking about trying to find a set of black Marauder wheels.But I kind of like the sleeper look too..As far as a cut off switch,I don’t think it has one.It does have a cut off switch under the steering column.I hit it once by accident ,and the car cut off while it was sitting.Then I found the switch, hit it again, and the car turned back on.I guess it’s a safety button for police to cut off their cars when they want to leave their keys in the ignition.Idk,not sure.And the other good thing about these cars, besides being built extra tough by Ford ,is that they drive like a smooth Caddy.If your thinking about getting one, buy it, there great cars.I wanted a Marauder,but I couldn’t find a decent one in my price range.So the Vic was the next best thing.You can beat the hell out of them, and they keep on going.

Ron, I was talking about at certain speeds the computer or the engine will not go any faster. A regular Charger it’s 140. I told my wife in my opinion Ford had the best driving cars. My 77-78 Thunderbird and the Crown Vics.....

13 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Got Vicky up to 150.....She’s a former 2009 PA detective unmarked car, with a full police package.All blacked out..Never went that fast in  my life, in any car I’ve ever owned.Gotta say,Fun,and scary.???.  Yee ha....

C522FCCE-AE4E-400F-8647-ECC3B76125A1.jpeg

0599F231-D485-49EB-A1D7-EC78B305AEF4.jpeg

627685E8-13E5-4649-9A77-0AE68067168F.jpeg

1D25E494-32CA-44B9-9DC8-A5BA6F8657A0.jpeg

119B525B-94CC-458B-B825-4725DF507251.jpeg

I always enjoy seeing your rig, and it's always so clean looking. That shut off button would be a great anti theft devise.

1 hour ago, slusher said:

Ron, I was talking about at certain speeds the computer or the engine will not go any faster. A regular Charger it’s 140. I told my wife in my opinion Ford had the best driving cars. My 77-78 Thunderbird and the Crown Vics.....

Most cars we buy today have a chip in the computer that acts as a fuel shut off. This is usually based on the speed rating of the OEM tires and I'm sure that there are speeds the manufacture might use with overall safety in mind. My '95 Chevy C1500 x-cab was set to 110 mph. I'm not telling how I found out. We had our '10 Charger RT with AWD up to about 120 mph in a very deserted section of highway in an unnamed state. The car was still pulling like a freight train but the wife of the couple in the back seat was starting to wine a bit so we returned to the posted speed limit.  

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

Wow. I have to say. I got to 100 mph in my 1953 Buick Super V8 and to 110 mph in my 1964 Ford Galaxie. I'm sure your car handled it better than mine did. 

My first car was a '55 Chevy with a 265 V8 and a four barrell carb. That car would cruise at 105 for an hour at a time with no problem. It was lowered almost 6" all around so it cornered really well which was a good thing 'cause there was no interstate then.

On 1/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, espo said:

I always enjoy seeing your rig, and it's always so clean looking. That shut off button would be a great anti theft devise.

Most cars we buy today have a chip in the computer that acts as a fuel shut off. This is usually based on the speed rating of the OEM tires and I'm sure that there are speeds the manufacture might use with overall safety in mind. My '95 Chevy C1500 x-cab was set to 110 mph. I'm not telling how I found out. We had our '10 Charger RT with AWD up to about 120 mph in a very deserted section of highway in an unnamed state. The car was still pulling like a freight train but the wife of the couple in the back seat was starting to wine a bit so we returned to the posted speed limit.  

Thanks Espo.Yea I try to keep the car as clean as I can for a 11 year old un marked police car.But the mileage and idle time are pretty low for a 2009.I liked the blackout look.I just thought it looked sinister..And like I said, its still got awesome torque, and power.   

On 1/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, MarvinGardens said:

I have 3 questions for ya':

1) What tire size?

2) What rear gear?

3) What mods does the car have done?

1)Not sure,(factory)Wide

2) No clue.
3)Just a KnN Cold air intake.A Throttle body spacer, and a set of Flow masters.Thats all, but the car was built fast, and powerful from Ford to begin with.And a chin spoiler.And rear trunk spoiler.

Edited by NYLIBUD

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Thanks Espo.Yea I try to keep the car as clean as I can for a 11 year old un marked police car.But the mileage and idle time are pretty low for a 2009.I liked the blackout look.I just thought it looked sinister..And like I said, its still got awesome torque, and power.   

I just was reading some of my EMail from last week and  a Road & Track edition they sent me on 1/19 had a video and a short story about a guy with a CV like yours that he put a 5-speed in. The sound track especially is great to listen to. Don't know if you get R&T or can get into their site but you might want to try. The driver knows how to handle a manual transmission. 

Then, with no offense, I can tell you with absolute certainty you did not make 150mph with the car. You may have hit 150Kph.

235/55-17 tires, with either the 3.27 or 3.55 gears, coupled with the 4R70E gear set ratios, will NOT support 150mph with the STOCK tune. K&N, TB Spacer (a joke in its own category), and Flows will not add that much horsepower to the 250 the car came with. If you have the 3.27 or 3.55 gears (the only two options available in 2009), the computer limits top speed to 129mph and 124mph respectively.

Now before you go bumpin' gums about how I am wrong, I want you to consider this right here:

I own a 2008 P71 (same functional car as the 2009 P7B), and before my mods I could only hit 121mph before the car started pulling timing and fuel and stopped pulling at 129mph. Now, after the gears, JMod, long-tube headers, lots of suspension work, and a Martys tune, I am able to eclipse 135mph, where the cars aerodynamics work against it. Even the P71/P7B suspension is downright SCARY when the car starts to float. my next serious mods are to vent the trapped underhood air, add the chin deflector, and dial in the rebound on my coil-overs to see if I can safely break the 140mph mark.

18 hours ago, MarvinGardens said:

Then, with no offense, I can tell you with absolute certainty you did not make 150mph with the car. You may have hit 150Kph.

235/55-17 tires, with either the 3.27 or 3.55 gears, coupled with the 4R70E gear set ratios, will NOT support 150mph with the STOCK tune. K&N, TB Spacer (a joke in its own category), and Flows will not add that much horsepower to the 250 the car came with. If you have the 3.27 or 3.55 gears (the only two options available in 2009), the computer limits top speed to 129mph and 124mph respectively.

Now before you go bumpin' gums about how I am wrong, I want you to consider this right here:

I own a 2008 P71 (same functional car as the 2009 P7B), and before my mods I could only hit 121mph before the car started pulling timing and fuel and stopped pulling at 129mph. Now, after the gears, JMod, long-tube headers, lots of suspension work, and a Martys tune, I am able to eclipse 135mph, where the cars aerodynamics work against it. Even the P71/P7B suspension is downright SCARY when the car starts to float. my next serious mods are to vent the trapped underhood air, add the chin deflector, and dial in the rebound on my coil-overs to see if I can safely break the 140mph mark.

Sure bud whatever u say.I do agree with u that the the throttle body spacer is pretty much a waste.I do have a chin spoiler, ???but don’t tell me how fast my car is.Were u in it with me?No,so thanks.

I mod these cars, and probably know a little bit more about them and their abilities than most folks.

I will repeat, without a tune, you WILL NOT see 150mph. It is a common FACT.  So, unless you have unequivocal proof, it did not happen as the cars computer WILL NOT let it happen.

I have mine tuned, and am still setting it up to go 150+. If time off were abundant, I'd come up your way and run you, with GoPros on both cars. Then, absolute proof would exist.

It's folks like you who give credible builders and tuners a bad image.

Edited by MarvinGardens

45 minutes ago, MarvinGardens said:

I mod these cars, and probably know a little bit more about them and their abilities than most folks.

I will repeat, without a tune, you WILL NOT see 150mph. It is a common FACT.  So, unless you have unequivocal proof, it did not happen as the cars computer WILL NOT let it happen.

I have mine tuned, and am still setting it up to go 150+. If time off were abundant, I'd come up your way and run you, with GoPros on both cars. Then, absolute proof would exist.

It's folks like you who give credible builders and tuners a bad image.

Hey Marv,,first,relax,I’m not putting any tuners down.Ok,I’ll make u happy,I got the car to 140,ok,that sound better.The speedo was pinned past the 140 mark.So I called it 150.Does 140 sound better, and make u happy?Good.?

Do yourself, and the car, two favors. 

1) PLEASE get that 4R70 JModded and add extra cooling capacity.

2) Get it tuned.

These two things, above all else, will make the car safer and more fun to drive. If you are still on stock suspension, I would highly recommend the METCO Watts bars and either Heinous or METCO rear control arms. Your bushings are likely worn and in need of replacement; these arms help alleviate the loose feeling from the rear of the car. Also, look into the ADDCO rear sway bar kit. It will flatten the car out and make it feel more stable on the onramps.

3 hours ago, MarvinGardens said:

Do yourself, and the car, two favors. 

1) PLEASE get that 4R70 JModded and add extra cooling capacity.

2) Get it tuned.

These two things, above all else, will make the car safer and more fun to drive. If you are still on stock suspension, I would highly recommend the METCO Watts bars and either Heinous or METCO rear control arms. Your bushings are likely worn and in need of replacement; these arms help alleviate the loose feeling from the rear of the car. Also, look into the ADDCO rear sway bar kit. It will flatten the car out and make it feel more stable on the onramps.

Ron mentioned that his car was an ex-police car and it has a police package (not just a pedestrian car).  I'm pretty sure that it has a a beefed up suspension, and the engine control module has been modded to allow speeds faster than a stock CV.

When cars (or bikes etc) run at speed trials such as at Bonneville, they use proper timing equipment. They don't rely on the speedometer. Speedos are notoriously inaccurate. Just saying.

Still sounds like the Vicky was running pretty fast enough on public roads. It's a nice car.

If you took the time to read my initial reply, Peter, you would see that mine is ALSO a Police Interceptor (P71, where his is a P7B. The designation changed from P71 to P7B in 2009) and there is NO difference in computer tune, or engine configuration between Civvie and Police P7 cars. The difference lies in the auxiliary oil cooling, clutched High-output alternator, 3/4" raise in the suspension with heavier spring/shocks, larger front sway bar (but smaller bar than the HPP cars), a slightly higher idle speed, and  3.27 or 3.55 rear gears (versus civvie 2.73 or MAYBE 3.27 in the HPP cars). Did you also miss the part about the PCM having a higher speed cut-out (and what those cut-outs are) from the first post?  Please, know what you are talking about before replying. Not meant to be cruel, but it makes it less likely you look ignorant.

Even a calibrated speedometer doesn't mean 100% accurate, as they have to be re-calibrated every year, 6 months if there is any questionable readings. Post-2005 cars have a digital speed pick-up in the transmission (versus the old worm-gear set-up) and speeds can be adjusted through the PCM using specialized equipment. I am able to load speed signals via my handheld, but that only takes into consideration the gear changes. In order to properly calibrate for tire size, I would have to load the car on the dyno, run the car with the equipment hooked up, look at and interpret the PIPS signal, and make adjustments (then load those adjustments as a file into the cars PCM). Besides modifying these cars, I also worked on them for a living. Not to sound like a know-it-all, but in this instance I just MIGHT know something.

Ron, do you know how many miles are on your car? 

Edited by MarvinGardens
Can't spell to save my skin.

Hey Marv, I’m finished with this conversation.Your right,and I’m wrong.You sound like a great tuner.Ok,are we finished,good?This is becoming a boring topic.But thanks for all your advice though.Oh and Webestang 64, nice car.Looks like you take great care of it.