Model Cars Magazine Forum

2004 Corvette Z06 Le Mans Commemorative edition, Revell, 1/25

Matt Bacon

Got this one under way...

body-ready-for-decals.jpg

body-ready-for-decals-2.jpg

I thought I'd post this because you can clearly see the difference between the Zero basecoat matt, and how the colour changes and gets richer and deeper when you hit it with clearcoat. I've put a light coat of clear where the "go-faster stripe" decals need to go on...

shiny-body-1.jpg

shiny-body-2.jpg

And this is what you get with the clearcoat on. The panel/shut lines are emphasised with the new Citadel "Contast Colours"  Leviadon Blue

Engine/transmission is under construction...

best,

M.

14 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

shiny-body-2.jpg

And this is what you get with the clearcoat on. The panel/shut lines are emphasised with the new Citadel "Contast Colours"  Leviadon Blue

You sure know how to apply your 2k clear in a nice way. To be honest though, to me it looks like the decals didn't take it too well. Most of the white areas do have an "uneven" look about them. It might be that the surface itself is smooth, but maybe the one below the decals wasn't?

The decals either didn’t like the setting solution I used, or the combination of setting solution and 2K solvent ;-( I was kinda hoping the clearcoat would help, but the “Diamond” 2K is so darn transparent, it magnifies the effect... I’m going to live with it, though... you can’t see it so easily in normal light on a shelf, so I’m going to chalk it up to experience...

beat,

M.

This is not _all_ I've been working on the last week or so, but the rest is mostly shades of black on the chassis and interior! The engine and transmission in this kit are top-notch.Nearly as good as the best Tamiya (the LFA) in terms of detail and engineering, but let down slightly by the slightly soft moulding and "soapy" plastic...

engine_trans_6.jpg

engine_trans_2.jpg

engine_trans_1.jpg

engine_trans_5.jpg

engine_trans_4.jpg

best,

M.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of painting parts various shades of black, but at last some visible progress to report:

engine-bay-1.jpg

engine-bay-2.jpg

Still some decals to put on, but I think this is about the most accurate and best detailed OOB rendition of a modern engine I've seen in a Revell kit, from either side of the Pond...

front-suspension.jpg

Front suspension, for reference in case anyone else is doing one. Unlike the kit, the instructions are FAR from "accurate and well-detailed", and it took a while to figure out how all this goes together. The drawings are terrible...

underside.jpg

Drops in place very nicely...

with-radiator.jpg

The radiator is trickier to get in, without any positive location of the radiator in the chassis or onto the shroud (snorkel, apparently) over the top. In the end, I glues the radiator vertically onto the rear edge of the shroud, and fixed the lower hose to the radiator and the upper one to the engine To get it in place, I tucked the forward lower edge of the snorkel into the chassis frame at the front, and rotated it down until the snorkel hose met the engine and the lower hose could be wiggled into its socket on the engine front. Not fun...

test-fit-in-body-1.jpg

A quick test in the body looks convincing, though...

dash.jpg

Dreadful picture, but a few labels and spots of colour liven up a very grey dash...

cockpit-1.jpg

fifty-shades.jpg

Tamiya Black, NATO Black, Rubber Black, Semi Gloss Black, Citadel Abaddon Black and Black Templar Contrast...not quite fifty shades, but a lot, to create a black cockpit made from different materials.

body-plus-dash-mockup.jpg

Still fits inside the body...

cabin-test.jpg

And looks reasonably convincing through the window...

best,

M.