Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kobe Bryant killed

ranma

Very sad news. He was a class act all the way. 
I was just saying to the wife the other day, that I don’t want to ever fly again. There is some sort of airplane problem almost every night in the news. These corporations have more incompetent people employed, and, are more worried about turning a profit, than the safety of their passages/ customers. Not saying this is the case with Kobe Bryant, but just saying. 

9 hours ago, High octane said:

That is very sad news and very tragic as well, however millions of people fly the skies everyday and very few are killed compared to automobile deaths each day.

Very true but that's not national news.  Sine helicopters are not regular transportation for most people you tend to hear about the crashes more since they are usually fatal.

I watch a show on Sunday nights called Air Disasters. Stories about real planes that crashed and how the NTSB goes in and finds out what caused the plane crash. They show the worst plane crashes from around the world. It's a pretty good show, but after watching it for 10 seasons, you could never get me on a plane or anything else that leaves the ground.

Really to bad about Kobe, his daughter and the other people that were on that helicopter. May they all rest in peace.

I hate flying.I haven’t been on a plane in about 5 years.Some people don’t care ,and have no problem flying.Were there any survivors?And there was another helicopter crash,I believe just last week.Does anyone know if this was just a sight seeing flight?RIP to all that died.

Always sad when anyone dies in such a way no matter how famous they were or not. I feel sad for the families of all aboard the Helicopter. I'm hearing now the weather conditions were so bad the  LAPD had grounded their own Helicopter because of fog and low visibility. They were being guided by someone in the control tower. Sure hate to think everyone lost their lives trying to get somewhere when it wasn't safe to even be in the air. The flight information was on the TV this morning and they were quoting the LAPD about the flying conditions.        

Edited by espo

4 hours ago, espo said:

Always sad when anyone dies in such a way no matter how famous they were or not. I feel sad for the families of all aboard the Helicopter. I'm hearing now the weather conditions were so bad the  LAPD had grounded their own Helicopter because of fog and low visibility. They were being guided by someone in the control tower. Sure hate to think everyone lost their lives trying to get somewhere when it wasn't safe to even be in the air. The flight information was on the TV this morning and they were quoting the LAPD about the flying conditions.        

I agree. They said the pilot received clearance to fly just before takeoff. I'd hate to be the one that gave the go ahead.

The Chopper was equipped for and pilot rated for instrument but I would not have left the ground in the conditions described especially with a passenger list including that many an some being kids.

No place anyone has to be is that important as to put ones child in peril!

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families who lost loved ones.

19 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

This sounds a LOT like the Hendrick Motorsports crash outside Martinsville VA.  Extreme fog and location confusion. Sad for all. 

Just like flying over water, or sand you cannot let yourself take your eye off the altimeter because if you look at the ground you will get disoriented and lose altitude every time! (experience)

He received a warning from the tower that he was too low and increased his altitude but then seemed to have dropped 300 feet again prior to crashing.

Bottom line, he should not have been in the air given conditions at the time.

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Why in a helicopter can you not slow or hover???  Why was he continuing to fly at over 180 mph???  

1) He was flying quite slow, and sure as hell wasn't flying at over 180MPH, 'cause that bird won't even go that fast. Top speed is 178. And don't believe what the mainstream media, largely ignorant of just about everything, tells you.  SEE EYEWITNESS VIDEO LINKED BELOW

2) You can certainly hover...BUT...the altimeter is calibrated to sea level, using atmospheric pressure for its reference. Flying into mountainous terrain, the altimeter does NOT adjust to tell you how high you are over the ground. That's why a fair number of pilots fly their little planes into the sides of mountains. And that is why this flight, and most like it, operate under VFR, Visual Flight Rules. VFR includes things like absolute minimums for "ceiling" (how high the bottom of the clouds is) and general horizontal visibility.

3) When hovering in a whiteout, you have zero reference for much of your spatial orientation. Yes, you have an altimeter, but as I explained above, it does not compensate for rising terrain. You also have an instrument called an "artificial horizon" that tells you if your nose is up or down, and if your wings (rotors in this case) are level. BUT...there are no instruments that tell you if you're sliding backwards, or off to one side.

4) Without extremely sophisticated ground-mapping radar, there's just no way to tell where the hell you are in whiteout conditions.

5) It will be at least 6 months before the NTSB make even their interim investigation results public. Until then though, countless media morons and non-flying armchair experts will be all over this event with their stupid comments and theories.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My info came from KTLA which I hoped would not be to inaccurate.  They did show a large debris field which is why I accepted their high speed claim. 

I will say the worst fog I have ever been in was in So Cal growing up.  It was so thick we could not see the hood of our car....like driving in milk.  We walked home and Dad went back later and got the car after it lifted. 

11 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I hate flying.I haven’t been on a plane in about 5 years.Some people don’t care ,and have no problem flying.Were there any survivors?And there was another helicopter crash,I believe just last week.Does anyone know if this was just a sight seeing flight?RIP to all that died.

Kobe was going to coach his daughter’s Basketball team with another girl and friends. The news I watched reported people heard the engine cutting out but the crash was in the middle of nowhere. He was a great dad and player. 7 people lost their lives..

It's really kinda sad the amount of misunderstandings, confusion, ignorance, and outright lies going on around this tragedy, but that's SOP for the internet and mainstream media.

There's even a 30-second video of a helo crash in the middle-east that's labeled as the Kobe Bryant incident.

Please, out of respect for those involved, wait for the findings of the NTSB and FAA. 

I think Bill makes some very good points on the flight and crash of the Helicopter in which everyone was riding. Later yesterday noon after I posted my initial thought there was an internet post that showed the Radar locations and the Audio with the tower. The Piolet seemed to be in constant contact with the Control Tower and was even at one point directed to wait to cross flight paths from a local Air Port. The Control Tower is even heard asking for clearance for Helicopter to proceed since they had been holding their position for several minuets. They got the clearance and the Helicopter can be seen on the Radar screen moving with the guidance of the Tower. The audio has the Tower telling the Piolet that they were handing them off to another Control Tower, and the Piolet can be heard talking to the other Tower and the Tower Controller responding with instructions. In just a few moments the Controller is heard trying to contact the Piolet who was making the maneuver requested by the Tower and at that time the Tower could not get a response from the Helicopter and another moment and the helicopter disappears from the Radar Screen. As Bill mentioned the many challenges that a Piolet faces just flying let alone under the conditions at the time. The entire event is tragic for everyone involved.       

51 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I agree with BilI that let the investigation determine what caused this tragedy.  Unfounded speculation only makes things harder on the families involved. At this point all possible information from eyewitnesses , the wreckage itself need to be gathered and analyzed without preconceptions. 

X2

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's really kinda sad the amount of misunderstandings, confusion, ignorance, and outright lies going on around this tragedy, but that's SOP for the internet and mainstream media.

There's even a 30-second video of a helo crash in the middle-east that's labeled as the Kobe Bryant incident.

Please, out of respect for those involved, wait for the findings of the NTSB and FAA. 

Much of the rumors ans speculation are due to 'know it alls' that want their 'five minutes'.

But again this morning watching KTLA they bring on a guy that claims many years of independent investigations and lays out the crash in his opinion. Maybe some blame needs to go to the media??? The guy was logical, seems intelligent and knowledgeable and showed site footage......so I understand why an average person would take it as gospel.  It's not just the guy on the street making things up.