Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 996 old n new

stitchdup

This is the c1 trans kit for the tamiya 996. I am building it as the rothmans version that is one of the big hitters in the euro stance scene, but I have dont a couple of little changes. I decided against bbs wheels and instead went for some ucsp 1552 dkubus rims in 19" staggered fitment. Dont worry about the pic with the wheels sticking out, that was just to test fit and they weren't pushed in tight, just loosely in place so they could be removed. I also altered the paint a little to simplify the masking. I will be using the decals from the tamiya 956 kit. Other than a lot of lowering the rest of the kit is pretty much stock. All thats left to paint is the black on the glass and wiper panel but I'll probably brush them with citadel mephisto black as it has a nice rubber look when it gets a little wax.  Still a couple of pieces to go on the chassis but its nearly there. I've included a pic to show how much wider than the stock kit it is

DSC05707.JPG

DSC05708.JPG

DSC05709.JPG

DSC05817.JPG

DSC05716.JPG

DSC05717.JPG

DSC05720.JPG

DSC05721.JPG

DSC05725.JPG

DSC05722.JPG

DSC05816.JPG

5 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Never saw a Porsche like this before, but it looks like a very tasteful custom job!...Love it!!!....where did you get those cool wheels from?!

They're from ucsp mate, thay say 19 but i think that must be in 1/25 as my aoshima wheels are all bigger

6 minutes ago, afx said:

Very nice.  The C1 kit is close to the 996 GT3R.  Wish we could get a trans-kit for this.

Image result for porsche 996 GT3R

I've got these rear fenders like these left over from the trans kit if they are any help mate, the trans kit came with 2 options. Got a mint body and bumper too

hqdefault.jpg

It took 5 hours but the decals are on. The 968 kit i took them from was pretty old so some took a lot of jigsawing back together to get on. The blue decals were ok but the white ones put up a good fight but I got reasonably close. They were also too big but respacing and some careful trimming got them reduced enough to fit the doors. I also got the interior finished off and added the chrome to the wheels. You cant see too well in the pics but the centres and baskets of the wheels are gold.

DSC05822.JPG

DSC05819.JPG

DSC05820.JPG

DSC05821.JPG

29 minutes ago, matthijsgrit said:

Did the wheels come staggered or did you make em staggered? And what tires did you use?

They came staggered and with the tyres. Compared to aoshima wheels they seem a little smaller but the quality is very good. There are a lot of other on their site and ebay pages too

12 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Well that didn't go as planned. Fitting the glass has also raised the rear a lot more than the thickness of the glass so does anyone have a suggestion for getting it down a bit?

DSC05831.JPG

DSC05830.JPG

WOW, BUD!!!!, what happened to your wheel????!!!! they were looking Fantastic!!!! -so is the rest of your build!!!

9 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

WOW, BUD!!!!, what happened to your wheel????!!!! they were looking Fantastic!!!! -so is the rest of your build!!!

My own fault, it was a little tight and I pushed the rim instead of the centre. I'm not too upset now, Dimitry from ucsp offered me another single wheel and since I am going to buy more of his wheels anyway he is giving me it free with them. Until them its on one stock wheel as i want it finished for friday for my club comp.

18 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

My own fault, it was a little tight and I pushed the rim instead of the centre. I'm not too upset now, Dimitry from ucsp offered me another single wheel and since I am going to buy more of his wheels anyway he is giving me it free with them. Until them its on one stock wheel as i want it finished for friday for my club comp.

Thats very cool of him!!, i recently visited his site/store for the first time....i am impressed, and i will deffinitely be ordering a bunch from him -including that Porsche 944 Shooting Brake body!!!.....good luck with your competition, bud!!!

51 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Well that didn't go as planned. Fitting the glass has also raised the rear a lot more than the thickness of the glass so does anyone have a suggestion for getting it down a bit?

Is it possible to trim the bottom edge of the glass?  I suspect it is bumping against the interior.  Very sorry about the wheel - ouch!

7 minutes ago, afx said:

Is it possible to trim the bottom edge of the glass?  I suspect it is bumping against the interior.  Very sorry about the wheel - ouch!

That may work too!...or try using a thinner clear styrene to make your own. I've done it before on one of my Fujimi 911's...worked a treat!

6 minutes ago, afx said:

I dont think it is mate, theres only about 1mm actually under the body top and bottom and near nothing at the sides so I'd be concerned about the glass coming out. I might just fit the stock tyres so the arches are filled more but that will raise it more. I'll probably just have to live with it.