Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Willys coupe gasser (AMT, Round 2)

Roadrunner

Thanks to Joe's persistent killer car models here (thanks a bunch, Joe), as well as many others,  I've decided to break out my own '40 Willys (coupe) kit, and do 'er up as a gasser model. The gassers were always some of my favorites at any race event, and the '33, '40 & '41 Willys coupes were always my favorites of that lot, so here goes nothing.

U9STKd.jpg

Perhaps the biggest challenge for me here, will be to find some 4:1 dump headers similar to these on this '33 Willys. I have almost nothing in the way of gasser parts, so may need to source them from somewhere. I know I'll be getting rid of the ugly "mailbox" kit intake too, for one thing.

poqgme.jpg

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

It's supposed to be an Oldsmobile engine of some sort, but I'm not really sure what size it's supposed to be.

Most likely, it's supposed to be 394-based. That was the last factory displacement for the first generation Olds OHV V8.

Introduced in 1949, the engines came in 303-324-371 flavors also. Only built through 1964.

12 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

its says olds engine but looks more like a pontiac engine to me.

Probably because you're used to looking at post-1964 Olds engines. The first-generation postwar Olds OHV V8 engines are superficially visually similar to the Pontiacs and Cadillacs of like vintage.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Probably because you're used to looking at post-1964 Olds engines. The first-generation postwar Olds OHV V8 engines are superficially visually similar to the Pontiacs and Cadillacs of like vintage.

i am familiar with those but that kit engine looks closer to a pontiac than olds engine to me. 

49 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i am familiar with those but that kit engine looks closer to a pontiac than olds engine to me. 

The biggest and most obvious difference between the Poncho and Olds is the heavy cast iron flywheel housing extension on the rear of the Olds block.

image.jpeg.1b77bea646b50f8aeb791c2b9541a121.jpeg

Pontiacs don't have it.

image.jpeg.20a2c4ff91f16eff5a9496e5c6109069.jpeg        The kit represents an Oldsmobile.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

11 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The biggest and most obvious differences between the Poncho and Olds is the heavy cast iron flywheel housing extension on the rear of the Olds block.

image.jpeg.1b77bea646b50f8aeb791c2b9541a121.jpeg

Pontiacs don't have it.

image.jpeg.20a2c4ff91f16eff5a9496e5c6109069.jpeg        The kit represents an Oldsmobile.

Does the kit engine have that? im not sure id have to look when i get home today because im not sure.

5 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

This is the kit i have at home but i believe its the same kit isn't it?

All the AMT fat-fendered Willys drag cars share the same engine, including the first version, that came in a double kit with a custom '32 Ford. I have 'em all.

image.jpeg.18c33e22ca695b2159bb0bb7b8ff4db4.jpeg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Will be watching this! I started one of these a couple years ago and I need to parole it from the Shelf of Doom and drag it across the finish line. I LOVE the look of the green one on the old box and am gonna try to paint mine as close to that as possible, though I probably won't be using the box art decals. Not sure what I'm doing about the engine yet, either, but I won't be using the mailbox scoop either. 

15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Perhaps the biggest challenge for me here, will be to find some 4:1 dump headers similar to these on this '33 Willys. I have almost nothing in the way of gasser parts, so may need to source them from somewhere. I know I'll be getting rid of the ugly "mailbox" kit intake too, for one thing.

poqgme.jpg

These would be fairly simple to replicate using solder and styrene tubing.  Here are the ones I built for a SCRambler Gasser I have in the works, and the ones I made for my Willys pickup (this was my first attempt and sort of got out of hand).

SCrambler 036.JPG

Li'l Nasty 039.jpg

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I just pulled the kit to double double check. Yes, it has that. Yes, it is an Olds. No question.

Yep, same here.

7 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

This is the kit i have at home but i believe its the same kit isn't it?

I believe it's exactly the same, yes (perhaps different decals and tires though).

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Will be watching this! I started one of these a couple years ago and I need to parole it from the Shelf of Doom and drag it across the finish line. I LOVE the look of the green one on the old box and am gonna try to paint mine as close to that as possible, though I probably won't be using the box art decals. Not sure what I'm doing about the engine yet, either, but I won't be using the mailbox scoop either. 

Do it!

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

These would be fairly simple to replicate using solder and styrene tubing.  Here are the ones I built for a SCRambler Gasser I have in the works, and the ones I made for my Willys pickup (this was my first attempt and sort of got out of hand).

Way too much work for me. A pal here is sending me some photos of possible replacements, so we'll see how that goes.

Possible replacements for the kit-provided slicks, are these excellent AMT M&H Racemaster “Jumbo” slicks, also pad printed. For some reason I don't seem to have a photo of my own set, though I'm fairly sure that I actually did buy them, so I just snatched an image from the web.

VAOeaq.jpg