Model Cars Magazine Forum

Filling Pinholes in Resin?

I bought a pretty decent resin '65 Chevelle body. Finish is overall excellent, but it has some annoying pinholes in the worst place possible--right on the raised thin trim strip on the trunk lid. You can see at least three of them in this pic (and there are other smaller ones that don't show well in the pic).

Filling them would be challenge enough, but it looks like sanding down any such filler would be darn near impossible to do without messing up the trim or any of the surrounding area. And then the thing has to be chromed, either by Silver Sharpie, Molotow, or foil. 

I think I'm looking for some kind of liquid filler that will fill the holes flush in one shot with no sanding/workdown required. Anyone have any ideas? :unsure:

65ChevelleResin04.jpg.baf778ceeccf1555c68ab6625d3941a2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Filling them would be challenge enough....

I think I'm looking for some kind of liquid filler that will fill the holes flush in one shot with no sanding/workdown required. Anyone have any ideas? :unsure:

Snake have you considered one of those ultra violet glue pins?....(laser bond...I think? )   ...can manipulate its shape or placement..."until "  you hit it with the light.

With something like that I would drill into the hole then take stryene rod of the matching size inserted into hole with gap fill super glue. Then your not so much trying to sand the shape but might be able to cut or scrape your lines in.Heck you could even shave the whole line down an buy the right size styrene strip to replace it. I am a caster so what I have the ability to do is take my leftover resin after pouring an use a toothpick to dab resin into the hole.

Magic Sculpt or Apoxie two-part epoxy putties work. Both are water soluble and can be smoothed flush with a wet finger, eliminating the need for any sanding. I use the former on resin armor parts with delicate details and have never needed to resort to sanding/filing to remove excess.

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If we could find a product with these properties some folks around here would truly be thankful.?

If you're going to foil it doesn't it need to be near perfect? Guess you could sand the trim off smooth and replace with a strip of styrene, though 

thats not the answer we're looking for. Oh, the joys of model building ?.

Thanks for all the ideas, friends! I've considered them all. 

Several of them would work great with slightly larger holes, or with styrene. I don't think I have the skill to pull them off on this particular job, though. 

At the moment I'm thinking of sharpening a toothpick to a pin point and trying to work some Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue into the holes. It's water-soluble and easily worked (and removed) until it dries. I might be able to get it very close to filling the holes, and if it shrinks a little--well, if I go with foil for the chrome (I use cheap kitchen foil, not BMF), the imperfectly filled pinholes might look like common dents in the trim. Which wouldn't be out of character on a Day 2 or '70s street cruiser vibe. 

We'll see what happens. :unsure:

A tiny drop of CA on the tip of a straight pin and either a micro-chisel or a bit of sandpaper glued to a toothpick might save you there.

BTW, did you get that '64 Chevelle body that had the hogged-out rear wheel openings that was on the Bay recently?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

BTW, did you get that '64 Chevelle body that had the hogged-out rear wheel openings that was on the Bay recently?

Naw, haven't been looking for '64s, just '65s, and I scored a couple. This resin one is marked R&R 1994 inside the trunk. No shrinkage, warpage, or deformity and it's 25 years old. 

There are two or three places offering resin '64 Chevelles if I ever want one, but no one I know is currently offering a '65.