Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL West 2020 Report

Bernard Kron

There is some combination of words or characters that the forum software doesn't like. You can try posting one paragraph or one sentence at a time until you find the offender, then work around it. I've had to do this from time to time. 

Below I’ve posted a few pics from this year’s NNL West which took place last Saturday, 01/24/2020. Between a substandard camera I’ve sworn not to use again and a premature battery drain, I landed up taking only a few pictures, many of them of questionable quality, for which I apologize. Additional photos can be found here: NNL West 2020 Photos

NNL West 2020 was an interesting show with the usual vast selection of beautifully built models, making the photo debacle especially frustrating.NNL West 2020 was an interesting show with the usual vast selection of beautifully built models, making the photo debacle especially frustrating. The number of models actually declined somewhat, but was still enormous at close to 1,000. But, as I said, the quality was ever present.

Edited by Bernard Kron

...The other influence was almost certainly the model car show in Pasadena attached to the Grand National Roadster Show the following day, which kept some of the SoCal regulars away.
But the positive aspects far overshadowed the car-count decline. For example the vendor tables were completely sold out, something I can’t recall happening in several years. And there were many new vendors and vendors who had been new last year and were back once again. Even more importantly, the atmosphere was vibrant and dynamic with the aisles crowded with modelers and visitors engaged in animated conversation throughout the day, without the usual decline after lunch. And vendors appeared to be doing very well, too.

I hope to finally get back to the level of photographs I used to be able to provide when I go back next year. In the meantime thanks to all my modeling friends, new and old, who made this year's NNL West so enjoyable.
B.

IMG-5259.jpg
IMG-5256.jpg
IMG-5248.jpg
IMG-5231.jpg
IMG-5219.jpg
IMG-5216.jpg
IMG-5210.jpg
IMG-5209.jpg
IMG-5206.jpg
IMG-5196.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

23 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

There is some combination of words or characters that the forum software doesn't like. You can try posting one paragraph or one sentence at a time until you find the offender, then work around it. I've had to do this from time to time. 

I copied and pasted each sentence from my originally intended post. I eventually got to it all. The reason it's in 2 parts is because the paste function timed out and I had to start a second post. Unfortunately I'll never know what the offending text string was because it all (eventually) got posted.

Thanks Snake!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks for the report Bernard. A friend was at the GNRS and said there were no models on Friday and only 2 on Saturday. When the GNRS was still in San Francisco there would be a big number of models on Sunday because you got in free if you brought a model and there would be model picks by full scale luminaries. [At least when I attended in 1999]. Hopefully there was a good turn out this year although like you say maybe resulting in fewer NNL West entries.