Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Kit Development Update from Round 2

I whole heartedly agree on the Coke themed 68 Coronet.  I wouldn't mind; I'd be happy to see it come out with Coca Cola decals and marked box.  Would be a very successful addition to some of the other models coming out with the Coke theme.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:07 AM, Mr mopar said:

They found some new money to do a new Freightliner Cabover  and few other big rigs ......... 

As much as an Argosy cabover would be interesting to see in kit form, I would much rather see a kit of something like a Freightliner Cascadia or Kenworth W990 or other modern equipment on the roads today than a dated 20 year old cabover. 

On 1/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, wrenchr said:

Has round 2 made any new kits or even new bodies in the past? From what I can tell they clean up molds/tools and tool some small new parts and reissue the snot out of it Coca Cola and everything else. If they have tooled new kits what are they? Or even an all new body? Don't get me wrong this has allowed me to buy kits I would not have spent the money on old issues in the past but it seems like they are exhausting what they can reissue that has not been touched in a long time.  I'm not bashing them just saying.   

Automotive, cars and trucks / big rigs is what I'm talking about. :) 

The reissue a few years ago of the Kenworth W925 was one that Round 2 made a new tool for the cab and I believe the hood also. The reason it was thought that kit was never going to see the light of day again was after the last reissue of the Moving On truck in the late 80s, the mold for the cab (and again, I believe also the hood) was basically destroyed to be modified into the Kenworth T600A. 

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

"But it still won't happen."

Never say never.  We all know what will happen. FIFY ?

1: Mod/user will post notice of coming info. Actually could be good. 

2: In less than a page, people will complain about company releasing news; revive the previous lengthy thread for the need for kit x to easily be retooled; demonstrate the total lack of understanding of where modern kit makers are making most profit (Sci-fi boomer), mock the admittedly silly branding tie ins (because non-builders buy them and builders get cheap reissue), and only thing that hasn't happened yet is tearing apart an unseen kit. Lather, rinse, repeat, close thread, try again.

3: The I'll wait and get one with 40% coupon or closeout buyers makes companies clamor for THAT scavenger business. Don't forget the guy that stands up in restaurant and tells us what a lousy choice kit Y is and he'll never buy one. We'll all alert the media.    

4: Currently strangling a thread a week. Not always as funny as the im-?, but really close. 

5: Really hope for cool stuff. 

38 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

How to I watch this is there something special to do ,can I go to the link or what ?

As far as I know, go to that link on YouTube at 4PM Eastern Standard Time, which since you are in BC and should be 3 hours behind the US east coast should be 1PM your time in the Pacific time zone.

I missed the first ~40 minutes , having logued-on to my YouTube at 13:45 PST  ( one may "rewind" the stream to the beginning to see the three automotive kits ) .

The Supernatural Impala looks quite nice !

The full-front-bumper 1970 1/2 Camaro is lovely .

The 1972 Vega P/S = Oh. My. God. !! 

It's nice to see something like this where a company is trying to interact with their customers. The teases at future products were intriguing, and while it was again nice to see production/test shots of the Impala, Camaro & Vega none of those three are things anyone here didn't already know about.

If there's one take away from it that I hope people get, it's the level of complexity of tooling new parts onto old models. As he mentioned they're on the 2nd retool of the Camaro front core. Lotta folks seem to think Round2 can just snap their fingers and insta-make parts for all of these old non-CAD data based kits from the past.

8 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's nice to see something like this where a company is trying to interact with their customers...

f there's one take away from it that I hope people get, it's the level of complexity of tooling new parts onto old models. Lotta folks seem to think Round2 can just snap their fingers and insta-make parts for all of these old non-CAD data based kits from the past.

This. 

MR Mopar

"two Big rigs sounds good ..... to bad Jamie did not say what they are ....... come on Kenworth mixer ? could we get that 68' coronet r/t  ?"

I was the on the blog for the whole hour.  Numerous times I posted about the 68 Coronet R/T; stating it's a very requested kit, which was supposed to be a released back in 2008.

Edited by GMP440

Unless they were actively archiving the Live Chat it instant disappeared into the ether as soon as the live stream ended. It was there to make people feel like they were part of something, but they were also clearly all but ignoring it during the stream up to the last 10 minutes. 

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Unless they were actively archiving the Live Chat it instant disappeared into the ether as soon as the live stream ended. It was there to make people feel like they were part of something, but they were also clearly all but ignoring it during the stream up to the last 10 minutes. 

its still there as of 1 hour after your reply , I missed the live stream and just skimmed thru it.

Edited by martinfan5

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

two Big rigs sounds good ..... to bad Jamie did not say what they are ....... come on Kenworth mixer ? could we get that 68' coronet r/t  ?

He said they are working on another muscle car but never said what.. Maybe it's 68 coronet but i guess we will have to wait and see..

I watched part of the webcast last night. Just search for Round 2 on YouTube and you’ll find it. 

I liked that they had a round table discussion. The commentary was generally good. They clearly aren’t comfortable in front of the camera, but I wasn’t expecting a polished production. 

There’s clearly more going on at that company than we generally acknowledge here, and that was good to see as well. I hope they do these regularly.