Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm running out of room.

Get rid of the hornet's nest and you could get 3 or 4 more builds in there lol ( just kidding, that's actually pretty cool,  wish I had one too). I have an old display case that came out of our family's print shop when we closed the doors years ago. I just can't get to it right now because I have soooooo many new kits stacked in front of it ( not kidding ). I really need to stop buying and get to building more, there's just too much neat stuff being released now.

Jeff 

I have two large book shelve units with adjustable shelves for display of built models. I use the bottom shelve  to store reference materials such as original sales brochures and books. The weight at the bottom of the book case assures stability of the book case. I have 30 built models in each book case and I think I'm going to have to buy another book case or if I can find some additional shelves to add to the case that might help. All of my builds over twenty years old are wrapped and boxed for storage. 

Get the unbuilt kits off the tables and store them under the tables. Even better create some bare wall space and build some shelving with cheap bookcase units or wall brackets and shelves. I went all out a couple of years back and replaced a cheaply built set of multiple shelves  with an 8' x 12' wood and glass display case in a small spare room. I have room now to built and display  till I run out of unbuilt kits or I die (pretty sure the latter will come first).

I have an oak china cabinet in he living portion of the house and that is full also. Though some in that cabinet are models I bought from garage sales that were old and built. Suppose I would weed them out. The basement is shared by the better half and I've encroached into their territory. She's holding strong to her territory. LOL And this one shares the space also. 

image0.jpeg

ben.jpg

Edited by ewetwo

Someone else showing off some rare Chevy truck kits. ?  I'll take those off your hands, that would solve 5% of your "problem". ?

I made a built-in display case in my office, filled up long ago, so have old models in various places collecting dust.  Should cruise Facebook Marketplace for cases......  The Stash is another story.

I have two China cabinets, a beat up older one in the model room and a larger one in my office / den.   I am planning on adding extra shelves, in a standard China cabinet there is space between each shelf to add one. Pretty much can double the capacity.

Edited by Tom Geiger

All my unbuilt kits save for maybe 8 or so of them are packed away in storage. Still trying to figure out how to start building again in my tiny apartment (hoping to buy a house this year).

Here some built kits I have in a little display case in the apartment......

MVSDt14.jpg

Most of the boxed kits are going to be put up for sale because either I have duplicates of or interest in building them. And Lord knows I don’t need any more kits being 65 years old. My store room is packed. Lol

Edited by ewetwo

I’ve actually run out of room in my display case for built-ups. I’m planning to build a new display case for the end of our hallway. It’ll be deep enough for most of the models in my stash, but there are a few that will have to be hung from the ceiling. I haven’t yet convinced my wife that an imperial Star Destroyer should be part of our living room decor, but I did get buy in on a Disney Nautilus. 

21 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have two China cabinets, a beat up older one in the model room and a larger one in my office / den.   I am planning on adding extra shelves, in a standard China cabinet there is space between each shelf to add one. Pretty much can double the capacity.

Extra shelves really help.

I'm using a 15'x12' spare bedroom for a hobby room. I have shelves mounted to all four walls for the stash. I found a glass display case a few years ago. It is 6 feet long and has glass shelves. I need to add some more glass shelves to it. I also have a 4 foot case like it, but it's in storage. I'm also using a wood and glass barrister bookcase for display, but I'm hesitant about adding shelves to it. Needless to say, I barely have room to maneuver in there!

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I’ve actually run out of room in my display case for built-ups. I’m planning to build a new display case for the end of our hallway. It’ll be deep enough for most of the models in my stash, but there are a few that will have to be hung from the ceiling. I haven’t yet convinced my wife that an imperial Star Destroyer should be part of our living room decor, but I did get buy in on a Disney Nautilus. 

Too funny Dave. LOL

On 1/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, gtx6970 said:

I have 3 of these wall mounted. All full.

Based on the builders/unbuilts I have remaining. I figure I'll need 2 more,,,,,,ok maybe 3 but who's counting

https://shop.carneyplastics.com/NASCAR-Diecast-Model-Car-Display-Case-21-Car-124-P446.aspx

21-24compfront2photostamp.jpg

I have 4 wall cases with room for 2 more if I get to build that long.  MS has taken a toll on me. I have 2 corner shelves full and almost a book shelf full. All in AMT cases.  I don’t have many unbuilt anymore.