Model Cars Magazine Forum

71-72 Buick GS/GSx

The bumper you are asking about is the optional N-25 bumper.  I used to have a mold for that.  I will see if I can find it.  Not sure if it will make a decent copy though.  Not sure about the tailight differences in years.  My first car was a 72 GS.  I can make the 70 taillights in clear for you.  I have some super cool marker lights I can send as well.  Yo would need to sand the detail off of the bodies surface and carefully remove the marker light area and slip the tinted ones in that I make.  Get a Model Car Garage PE set and your build will pop with detail.

Greg

The MCG photo etch set will allow you to paint the red in the emblems like on the real car.  The only thing will be painting the red stripe in the proper color and tone that is under the doors at the lower body line.  I don't think it's the same red as the emblems but it might be.  The bumper was pretty cool but I think they tended to warp the taillights do to extreme heat.  It's a shame they didn't offer the GSX in a convertible version.

Greg

Hi Greg,

All this sounds great! What would be the best to stay in communication about paying you for those mentioned items? I'm somewhat old-school that I'd send you an amount via money order before you started to make me anything, if your up for that. By the way, I also had a 72 GS with the 455 that we put in a m-22 rock crusher 4 speed. Had a 69 Charger auto with a 383 and just had to get that GS from my bowling buddy. My girlfriend (now my wife of 34 years) still says I should have kept the Charger. She never could push in that clutch in the GS. But hey-when your 18, you don't think about those things. Then to make things worse I sold it for a Merkur XR4TI! If I only knew now what I did then is all I can say. Nice talking with you!

Paul, I will go one worse for you. I traded my 70 GTO 400 4 speed for an 84 Mercury Lynx.

I have made a set of bumpers for a project I an working on. One of the 1971 GS Stage 1 Convertible zone cars. I have been a Buick GS fanatic for years. I had a 70 GS Stage1 when I was in high school. Currently have a 71 Buick Sportwagon. That I intend on taking to the 40th Anniversary GS Nationals in May.

I have several GS models in progress:

1970 GS Stage 1 ( what my car would have looked off the showroom floor

1970 GSX prototype                  1970 GS Stage 2 Reynolds Buick racecar

1970 GSX Motion car                  1971 GS Stage 1 Conv zone car.

1972 GS  Suncoupe                      1970 GS pro-touring

1966 GS Pro-touring                      70-72 Sportwagon

plans for also doing the GSX prototype car show touring side kick,  1970 GS Stage 1 custom flame red with all white interior/clear glass.

Tim

12 hours ago, Tim H said:

Paul, I will go one worse for you. I traded my 70 GTO 400 4 speed for an 84 Mercury Lynx.

I have made a set of bumpers for a project I an working on. One of the 1971 GS Stage 1 Convertible zone cars. I have been a Buick GS fanatic for years. I had a 70 GS Stage1 when I was in high school. Currently have a 71 Buick Sportwagon. That I intend on taking to the 40th Anniversary GS Nationals in May.

plans for also doing the GSX prototype car show touring side kick,  1970 GS Stage 1 custom flame red with all white interior/clear glass.

Tim

Wow!

That's an impressive list of builds.  I am curious about your plans for front and rear bumpers for the 70, 71, and 72 builds.  Are you going to scratch build these items?

Greg,  the 71-72 style Buick Skylark/GS bumpers were made from heavily modifying the kit bumpers.

Most of my builds have been in progress for a while. I'll pull out one work on it for a bit then put it away. Then work on something else. That list is only the Buick GS' I have about half dozen or more in progress.

Tim

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 6:34 PM, Tim H said:

Tim

1972 GS  Suncoupe....that is a sweet car, what did you use for bumper/grill?

On 2/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, pjacobs said:

Hi Greg,

All this sounds great! What would be the best to stay in communication about paying you for those mentioned items? I'm somewhat old-school that I'd send you an amount via money order before you started to make me anything, if your up for that. By the way, I also had a 72 GS with the 455 that we put in a m-22 rock crusher 4 speed. Had a 69 Charger auto with a 383 and just had to get that GS from my bowling buddy. My girlfriend (now my wife of 34 years) still says I should have kept the Charger. She never could push in that clutch in the GS. But hey-when your 18, you don't think about those things. Then to make things worse I sold it for a Merkur XR4TI! If I only knew now what I did then is all I can say. Nice talking with you!

I traded my 1971 Mach 1 351 4 speed for a 1973 Buick Regal to save on insurance I saved  $16.00 a month . I just now kicked myself again !