Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started working on an AMT 53 Ford Pickup about a week ago, have seen a lot of nice builds and always wanted to get one going.  Doing all the basics right now, soaked the body and main parts in some dawn and water, scrubbed the stuff down, scribed out the doors, vent and windshield.  Removed the door handles, locks and filling in the gas filling area.  Also smoothed out the running boards, have them glazed with some Evercoat at the moment.  Looking at the chassis and stance at the moment, started assembling the engine.  My goal is build a nice 60's style cruiser out of this.  I've also been posting a bit more on my Instagram, if anyone is there feel free to drop in at qstick99

Q33KUzJ.jpg

Q6jvAcf.jpg

kyd8wZH.jpg

b9yB1VU.jpg

Have fun.  Spent some time (early 70's) in a 53 1:1 dually ( 22.5 split rims) that was a wrecker.  Ex Army truck, still olive drab interior.  Bought as surplus.  Road very hard and was geared low.  Top speed 50 mph with the ohv straight six.  Would tow a 64 Caddy like it wasn't there 

Like to build a replica with its Weld Built wrecker body.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, Joe Thomas said:

Have fun.  Spent some time (early 70's) in a 53 1:1 dually ( 22.5 split rims) that was a wrecker.  Ex Army truck, still olive drab interior.  Bought as surplus.  Road very hard and was geared low.  Top speed 50 mph with the ohv straight six.  Would tow a 64 Caddy like it wasn't there 

Like to build a replica with its Weld Built wrecker body.

That sounds like some truck right there and I can only imagine the ride would be a bit ruff!   Bet it was very unique rolling down the road though! 

15 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Working on a 53 also, but it's a resin crew cab 

Planning to fab a custom frame and drop in the weeds , your project sounds great

Nice, sounds like it will be a great project, if you have a thread on it I'll be checking it out for sure!  I need to do some looking at this frame and suspension as well, get it down a little as well!  

• 2 months later...

What's good, wish I had more progress to report, but on this project, happy with smoothed floor boards, should block down nicely for some Kandy soon!  Hit them with plastic wood then finished with evercoat 

http://imgur.com/gallery/9PScgHz

http://imgur.com/gallery/HMvCTQQ

20200420_232735.jpg

20200420_235233.jpg

20200420_235242.jpg

20200420_235218.jpg

Edited by speedy5963

• 4 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 2:41 PM, Roadrunner said:

Nice. I started the same truck a couple of years back, I intend to do 'er up as a Halloween truck (orange and black) and really need to get back to it.

Nice!  I'm looking to jump back on this project as well, all the years I've seen this around, have a few but never dove into one, now I have ideas for more :)