Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Coronet.

WOW!     I can go into a hobby shop near me and see not one, not two...but multiple versions of Mustangs, Camaro's and  Ford coupes....all sorts of years and options, I can watch the Youtube videos and see that the manufacturer is bringing a  brand new tool of a 4 door Chevy with the S22 dual interior light and V56 8 track/45 record player (YES.....SARCASM) and the people go nuts...but hey, ask for new MOPAR model and everyone is lighting torches and starting a riot!!   Sure....I can buy a resin copy for $45-50 US, taxes and shipping...then go purchase a suitable donor for another $30 Canadian and start building...easy peesy, and Joe Bob over there can choose from the 47 choices on the shelf!

I want MORE new tooling of older MOPAR cars and trucks, I want to see the same for AMC and all the other orphans that never see the light of day…..and if I don't want to read about another new tool of the more popular models offered....I don't click on the thread!  Simple!!  ;)

I don't build much...too busy restoring older B-body interior plastic pieces for the dash....I find the best choice for this is to melt down virgin/unopened Johan AMC products....I can fix cracks as well as weld parts back together....it is all for the greater good of keeping them MOPARS on the road!!!   :) 

I will weight in... I don't mind if someone posts that they want a '68 Coronet,  a '68 or '69 Impala or any other subject because if you go back and look at those Scale Auto Enthusiast polls of days past,  most of their top ten requests made it to kits!   So yes, the manufacturers do listen.

What I don't like is when people call the manufacturers names, or make insinuations that they must be stupid (or worse!) because they don't drop everything to produce that one kit, so that poster can buy ONE copy.   I've had the privilege of meeting a number of today's manufacturing leaders and can say they are all knowledgeable, passionate and work hard to do what they can do in today's limited market. They have my respect. I take offense when people who don't know the true sense of the market or the people involved and go off on them!  It's just ignorant!

Edited by Tom Geiger

WOW! all this over a 68 Coronet?I know there are lots of things that trigger a tantrum,but just reading about them?In a strange way this kind of thread is what i enjoy the most about this place,the snarky responses,the arguing and name calling,Hey,if you stepped in a pile or got a syringe stuck in your shoe on the way to work i get it.Last i checked this was a modeling forum and if someone wants to post about their desires for a certain model this could be the place to do it and more power to you,if reading such a thread works you up............Dont read it.

The point is NOT what you/we want. We all want many things. 

The point is WHERE and HOW you ask. 

That's all really. 

Go to a party at someone's house you don't know very well(kinda like a real-time board).

Then start shouting I WANT NUGGETS in the middle of the party. 

You might get your nuggets. But not because of that, at that time. 

And I doubt you'll be hitting a party soon. 

Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, keyser said:

The point is NOT what you/we want. We all want many things. 

The point is WHERE and HOW you ask. 

That's all really. 

Go to a party at someone's house you don't know very well(kinda like a real-time board).

Then start shouting I WANT NUGGETS in the middle of the party. 

You might get your nuggets. But not because of that, at that time. 

And I doubt you'll be hitting a party soon. 

Just a thought. 

Um....... A forum is exactly the place to mention wants. If you don't want the subject don't read the thread.

21 hours ago, alexis said:

I hope never to read the words "68 Coronet" again.

I am so tired of the constant stream of guff about this car.  It may come as a surprise to some members of this board, but in 1968, there were at least 4 Domestic major manufacturers of full size cars. General Motors, Ford Motor Company, American Motors & Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth. (aka MOPAR) Each of these companies offered to the American Consumer a great numbers of choices of cars and trucks to choose from.  Strangely, the Coronet was one of many.  Thus while desirable, it had much competition

Therefore, enough about this one car. I want a 68 AMC Ambassador. I have never mentioned this 'want' until now. Why? Because it is a waste of bandwidth.

I swear, I'm gonna start hunting '68 MOPAR Gluebombs and kits of all kinds on the secondary market, and burn the danged things just to make them scarce! Argh! Enough is Enough.  Round2 will (or will Not) tool up parts for this kit, When (or IF) they deem it a good use of their limited Tooling Dollars.

Want one sooner? Buy Round2! Buy Revell! Buy Moebuis! Put YOUR money into this project, and stop carping about it online!

MCW offers a '66 Ambassador , the '68 MY .. no .  I have a copy of that ''66 Dave Casted  , I highly recommend it .. Thanx 

Edited by dimaxion

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Um....... A forum is exactly the place to mention wants. If you don't want the subject don't read the thread.

Not in the middle of another thread. PERIOD. Many click on the thread to find out about 2020 releases. That is buried by blahblah68blahAMTstinksblah.

Start a new thread. I want to read the subject I clicked on. Not thread hijacks. Over and over and over. OP tired of it to the point of starting THIS thread. Why can't people start a thread instead of killing other threads. 

So, based on what's happening, We only need ONE thread? Or do we guess what topic is in a thread titled 2020 Releases or whatever. Why do we have titles? 

Many DON'T CARE about a whatever if it ain't an AMT 2020 release. 

Try going to a big car board, or HAMB, or whatever and pull that. You'll regret it. Mods here are very tolerant volunteers. 

STICK to the topic so we DON'T have to wade thru stuff unrelated to post. 

Why is that so hard? Why don't people do that? 

21 hours ago, Plowboy said:

There's nothing wrong with talking about the '68 Coronet. But, it's annoying when threads gets hijacked on the subject. There are countless threads on here about the '68 Coronet. Talk about them there. People who care will discuss. People who don't won't have to read about it.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about is the "2020 Kit Development Update From Round2" thread in this very section. Before the second half of the first page, the '68 Coronet is mentioned which has nothing to do with the original subject. There's almost more posts about the Coronet than the original subject. Thread hijacked. That is what's annoying!  It's like someone butting in in the middle of a conversation to talk about what they want to talk about. Want to talk about a '68 Coronet? Start a thread or find one of many already here. 

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about is the "2020 Kit Development Update From Round2" thread in this very section. Before the second half of the first page, the '68 Coronet is mentioned which has nothing to do with the original subject. There's almost more posts about the Coronet than the original subject. Thread hijacked. That is what's annoying!  It's like someone butting in in the middle of a conversation to talk about what they want to talk about. Want to talk about a '68 Coronet? Start a thread or find one of many already here. 

Exactly. Yes its important we communicate what we want. Given the limits on tooling dollars we need to communicate more than one will buy one. We have a better chance if a new car can be leveraged off an existing tool. If it needs to be a total new tooling then there needs to be multiple variations made off that tooling to pay those costs. A more focused thread discussing those options by those who want a new subject is much more useful it attaining the designed car whatever it will be. A handful saying I will buy it really isn't that helpful to the cause.

10 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Given the limits on tooling dollars we need to communicate more than one will buy one. We have a better chance if a new car can be leveraged off an existing tool.

A handful saying I will buy it really isn't that helpful to the cause.

During the video Jamie mentioned that it's not always easy to add parts or build a new variation off an old pre-CADD tool.   Modelers seem to equate it like a kit bash and will mention using parts from three different kits, with no regard to what tool they are on and the ability to mate them into a production tool.  And when they do, it's not always perfect.  Remember back when they found the 1970 Coronet body and mated it with the then current '68 Roadrunner chassis.. people screamed bloody murder because the instructions included having to cut down the glass shot to fit!  

And that handful saying what they'll buy...  once a resin caster told me a story.  He proposed a new kit on the boards.  From his count people pledged to buy over 100 copies!  When he actually came out with the kit... he sold 10 copies!   Easy to post on the Internet "I will buy a case of that car!"  but difficult to pony up the money when the time actually comes!

13 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

And that handful saying what they'll buy...  once a resin caster told me a story.  He proposed a new kit on the boards.  From his count people pledged to buy over 100 copies!  When he actually came out with the kit... he sold 10 copies!   Easy to post on the Internet "I will buy a case of that car!"  but difficult to pony up the money when the time actually comes!

That doesn't just happen with resin.  Maybe some industry insiders can verify this, or not.  I heard it from some sort-of insiders, like distributors and hobby-shop owners.

A kit that everybody said they wanted for years finally came out in the 1990's:  the Galaxie Ltd. '46-48 Chevy Aerosedan. And it was a fantastic kit. Which figured, since the owner of Galaxie was Gary Schmidt, the creator and original publisher of That Other Magazine.

So people bought cases of that kit and they flew off the shelves, right?  Not according to what I heard: it took TEN YEARS to finally sell out the original run of those Aerosedan kits.  

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

And the world is going to end because someone mentions a another model in a different thread. Whatever. Get your priorities right people.

Our priorities are straight. World won't end. Just like mocking newly dead people, it isn't normal. Make. A. New. Thread. As in Hey, let's talk about Whatever.

Go into a meeting at work and start talking about model cars, or whatever.  It's in wrong place, and it is not going to get anyone a kit. 

Also, calling a company stupid/whatever has never made them listen. 

I didn't start the post. But I agree with it. The interruptions happen in tons of threads, making them unreadable. 

It's a board. Talk about whatever. It has thread titles. Make a new one, it's like typing a post and adding a title. 

Rudeness and entitlement to do whatever, whenever doesn't work. Pretty sure that's in Terms of Service in this board, as it is in every other board I'm on. 

Whatever.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:55 PM, Snake45 said:

I hereby declare that "'68 Coronet" is now officially the "Free Bird!" of this forum. :lol::lol:

Does that make the '32 Ford the 'Stairway to Heaven'?

BTW What are we on about in this thread?image.jpeg.49b62cc7c12f26afbf05aa170dbd6178.jpeg

On 2/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, Spruslayer said:

WOW! all this over a 68 Coronet?I know there are lots of things that trigger a tantrum,but just reading about them?In a strange way this kind of thread is what i enjoy the most about this place,the snarky responses,the arguing and name calling,Hey,if you stepped in a pile or got a syringe stuck in your shoe on the way to work i get it.Last i checked this was a modeling forum and if someone wants to post about their desires for a certain model this could be the place to do it and more power to you,if reading such a thread works you up............Dont read it.

I totally agree, sir! 

I'm as free as a board now...(Thanks, Snake!)

12 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Talk to me when you want to do an Auburn Speedster.

I have two of the Auburn speedster's Both the Pyro (molded in red) and the Lindberg. The Auburn as bad as it is  has been reissued where as the '68 and 69 Impala's haven't . Franklin mint also made a Auburn Speedster, But I don't recall any die cast being made of either the 68 or 69 Impala in 1/25 or 1/24 scale. Beside there are alot of others that haven't been reissued since they were out Originally. (IE) 66-69 Bonneville, 58 Ford Galaxie 500,59 &60 Edsel, just to name a few....