Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/10 Koenigsegg Agera RS - 3d printed

Johannes.Gunnarson

Hi!

A couple of months ago I made a post about my project - buildning a fully 3d printed 1/10 Koenigsegg Agera RS. Now it is finished, so I thought I would make another post ?

The car is mostly made out of PLA plastic. The total weight of just the raw material is around 700g, wich equates to about 30$ in cost. Then you have paint, screws etc. In total it has definietly cost me less than 100$. 

It is designed by a very talented person I met on a 3d printer event here in Sweden, and is assembled just like the real car with the monocoque in the middle with all of the panels attached to it. There is even room to make it driveable, with battery, servos, motors and everything.

The majority of the work has gone into the painting. 3d printed parts are quite rough, so many, many, many layers of spray filler was needed. And a lot of sanding. The paint job is then done with cheap rattle cans. The paint job could of course have been better with better equipment.

DSC_3959.thumb.jpg.11396f502a50b84ef535f99f4a33d79e.jpg

Here is a picture of how panels could look directly from the printer:

_20190526_124332.thumb.JPG.50737509ef22944cdbe3cf35aaea0d1d.JPG

There are still things to be improved on. Some parts still have their 3d-printed look for example. But I think it looks pretty good already. I would love to hear what you think! ?

DSC_0242.thumb.jpg.10b54be40b4d881f1f44fd34903ecee9.jpgDSC_0257.thumb.jpg.ecb99554c23eb48c415961b462eb2f89.jpgDSC_0260.thumb.jpg.5329d89c49ca38a6d8a29da5f8ca2f35.jpgDSC_0248_(1).jpg.b542440add4e68a0fbe20f454f782206.jpgDSC_0253.jpg.26fbb68d5bc0a7a7ba4954884b341239.jpgDSC_0261.jpg.8e2bc7d13f93ed2390a0015dfefb645a.jpg

If you want to see my whole build process in more detail, see this link (the designers forum): http://depronized.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89

Edited by Johannes.Gunnarson

Great work! Looks stunning when painted, I know just how rough that surface must have been! Nice with a total custom “Kit”  of such a incredible car! You haven’t researched in Sweden for printing in better quality with resin? Have been thinking of some 1:24 parts but need better quality than pla printers usually can make. Kul att se fler svenskar på forumet!

Edited by Mattilacken

20 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

Great work! Looks stunning when painted, I know just how rough that surface must have been! Nice with a total custom “Kit”  of such a incredible car! You haven’t researched in Sweden for printing in better quality with resin? Have been thinking of some 1:24 parts but need better quality than pla printers usually can make. Kul att se fler svenskar på forumet!

Thank you! I am very much into 3d printing, but I haven't really had the need for a resin printer yet. But it would indeed make a lot of sense to use a resin printer for smaller more detailed parts. Resin and resin smell is also toxic, so you would need a specific space or room for the printer to be in. Men kanske i framtiden!

7 hours ago, Johannes.Gunnarson said:

If you want to see my whole build process in more detail, see this link (the designers forum): http://depronized.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89

Checked it out and found it very interesting. Thanks for posting the link. I play with DLP, polyjet, SLA and filament printing.  My favorite printer is my Ultimaker 2+ with .25 nozzle and PLA. Solus DLP is my favorite UV resin printer for very small detail parts. Formlabs Form 2 does my larger detailed parts.  But I only make parts.  Never a completed model. Enjoy the CAD work mostly.

Your model being completed is inspirational and beautifully done.

6 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Looks like you did a GREAT job getting rid of those layer markings!!!   At 1/10 scale, i bet its got a killer detailed engine bay!!!, any photos of it??

Thank you! 

The designer of this model had to choose between a detailed interior or making it fully drivable. And since this has space for generic rc motor, dampers, bearings, batteries, speed controller and servos the front and rear compartment aren't that detailed. So nothing to see really. You can see most of it in the first photo above ?

• 3 weeks later...