Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quarter mile Cuda’s Sox and Martin 70 & 71

dragmodels44

I decided for the last 2 models I will build I wanted to do both the  70 & 71 SnM Cuda’s. I know these have been done many times and the ones posted are outstanding. With that being said I wanted to have both done as accurately as possible, using reference photo’s from the Sox and Martin book, articles of some built and pics of ones posted. The 70 is the Revell kit and the 71 is the Johan kit.  I am doing them side by side, so everything is double but will show the differences between both years.  Here’s where I’m at now. Every step of the way has required refixing, refining and touch up because I won’t let any imperfection slip by, at least I’ll try.  I’m going to plum them with fuel and ignition wires. I’m going to add photo etched parts for some added detail. The bodies took 60 hrs alone! Thanks for looking.

36625C40-0AF1-465A-B6E8-0E423C64D2F4.jpeg

CD364497-C082-4104-9B4F-A2FAFD0AD7F3.jpeg

Very, VERY nice! I'll be following along as I plan to do exactly the same thing someday, except I'll be using the JoHan '71 body for both, as I think it's overall much more accurate than the Revell, though I'll be using the Revell detail parts to convert it to a '70. 

Don't forget to paint the engines Ford Engine Blue! B)

I'll be following.  I did a '71 Barracuda conversion (no fender gills) on the Revell kit.  From what I have read Sox Martin grafted the '71 grille, valance and tailights onto one of there '70 Cuda to update it. Paint looks great.

Edited by afx

I have some bad news for you, if you use the roll bar as it is on the Jo-Han 71 'Cuda you woun't be able to use the side windows as the main hoop will interfere as it's slightly wider on top than the roof...ask me how I know that. :huh::rolleyes:
So if you want to use the side windows on you model you have to shorten the upper bar some and angle the uprights slightly inward...then it will fit allright.
I noticed this when I was to put the interior in the body with all glass installed so it was a bit too late to fix it, the interior was finished with the seats and I also had added a 4 point racing harness wich is wrapped around  the bar behind the drivers seat, so I had to skip the side windows as it was too much work to fix the problem...but I for sure will on my next build.

Otherwise, you're doing a good job and I can't wait to see the result.

Nice builds. I love the paint scheme(s). I vividly remember watching Sox & Martin race at Cornhusker raceway in NE when I was a kid (my dad was a drag racer). He was up against a dark red 69 Chevelle. The Chevelle driver red lit. I even remember which lanes they were in.

Hi Joe, yeah it’s crazy! But, I wanted to keep track of the time for these two. Here’s the engines plumbed and wired...as much as I wanted to. Building the fuel systems and wiring was the effort of 17 hrs. I even wired the firing orders correctly. ( I think )The fuel system is not 100% correct as the fuel line for the back carb should have a T Fitting with a hose running under the hi rise then connecting to the front 4 way t fitting. That being said, I was still happy with the outcome. Thanks for looking!

B2EF8098-C1F4-4C03-B4F7-983628F207D0.jpeg

AF8ACAC0-03D6-41D3-B04E-74563FB987D6.jpeg