Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar color match

1 minute ago, Old Nasty said:

Greetings. 

I'd like to match the blue Mopar engine color from the '60's.  I want to build a replica of my 1:1 '68 Barracuda that has this color on the block & heads.  Any suggestions?    

Chrysler Engine Turquoise . It's available in rattle cans (though you may have to order it if your source is your local auto parts store) . 

Which engine are you painting ? 318 , 340 , or 383 ? If so , the 318 and 340 were red ; the 383 would be turquoise .

On another site devoted to A bodies only I learned that blocks made in the USA were red & the ones made in Canada were blue.  Mine is a 340.  I was thinking more on the lines of a model paint that doesn't require special prep to the surface.

Edited by Old Nasty

I've been using aerosol engine colours on primered polystyrene for 25+ years . No extraordinary prep necessary what-so-ever . FWIW , I've never seen a blue 340 prior to the 1969 model year ( some early examples were red ; later examples were orange )  then again from May 1971-1973 (different shade of blue than the 1969-1970 blue) .  

Here are two examples : disregard the cap's colour on the Dupli-Color can . 

chrysler-turquoise-oem.jpg.0e99f48a322e9cb4543dc0620a9d2541.jpgchrysler-turquoise-summit.jpg.084dc71ebbffa08ef29323e9c4c904f3.jpg

Krylon has a color called Bahama Sea that is very close, and you can use it on bare plastic, if you want to. Primer is not needed. I've done it over gray primer, white primer, and bare white plastic, and the color comes out  the same every time. It might not be an exact match, but it is really close, and for about 4 or 5 bucks for a can that will do a lot of engines, it's close enough for me.

18 hours ago, RichCostello said:

Krylon has a color called Bahama Sea that is very close, and you can use it on bare plastic, if you want to. Primer is not needed. I've done it over gray primer, white primer, and bare white plastic, and the color comes out  the same every time. It might not be an exact match, but it is really close, and for about 4 or 5 bucks for a can that will do a lot of engines, it's close enough for me.

Where did you find Bahama sea Rich?  Hobby Lobby?

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Where did you find Bahama sea Rich?  Hobby Lobby?

I don't remember, I've had it for a long time. I think I've seen it at HL, and other places. Walmart might have it, but the last time I was at Walmart, they had all of the Krylon paints marked down to $2.00 for the XL size cans. I think they might be clearing them out to discontinue them.

12 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I don't remember, I've had it for a long time. I think I've seen it at HL, and other places. Walmart might have it, but the last time I was at Walmart, they had all of the Krylon paints marked down to $2.00 for the XL size cans. I think they might be clearing them out to discontinue them.

Thanks RIch, I will check Hobby Lobby...