Model Cars Magazine Forum

What wagon is Round 2 alluding to? Which Station Wagon would you like to see a model kit of?

On 2/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, Bucky said:

I know, I know, I know.......they're gonna re-issue the '65 Lincoln station wagon kit! (With Coca Cola decals.)

That's my guess, too.  Suggestion to Round 2:  along with the Coke decals, throw in some decals for fictional hotels and resorts (no licensing fees!).  And maybe some luggage, either resin or plastic from the old Sixties Lincoln convertible kits with the "touring" option.

The custom wagon version of that Lincoln is pretty close to the custom Cadillac wagons used by the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs.  They were called the "Broadmoor Skyview,"  built by Hess & Eisenhardt. Only 6 were built in 1955 and 2 in '56. Notice the skylights in the roof, sort of like the glass roof of the Lincoln kit. 

A few Cadillac wagons were also built for private parties in the 1950's. Burt Lancaster owned a '56. So it's not much of a stretch to build that Lincoln wagon as a custom-built studio vehicle, for hauling around stars and execs.  OK, so throw in the old "Drag Strip Accessories" sprue with the TV camera, too...

1955-cadillac-skyview-1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

On 2/7/2020 at 8:01 AM, Mike999 said:

The Depot Hack was the original "station wagon."  Used to haul people and luggage to and from the train station.  Heller is re-issuing its French version of a later, European depot hack, the Citroen C4 Hotel Taxi.  We might be able to cross-kit that with a Monogram 1/24 scale '30 Ford, for an American version.

Thanks for the heads up on the Helller Hotel Taxi re-issue. I secured one of the first issue with the intent to do what you described, but have been avoiding cutting it up because it was rare. Knowing I could get another would make it easier to cut up the one I have :) 

2 hours ago, ranma said:

Well since everyone else wants to speculate, And since Round 2 reissued the 1/16 '55 Nomad. Maybe this will be the wagon ???

1 AMT-T-843-2.jpg

Man I sure hope so! I'd LOVE to have one and the eBay prices can be outta sight! I do hope if this is in the works, they use a MUCH sturdier box than the ones in the past.

A number of times I've seen these on the 'Bay, the model is damaged due to the weak box.

41 minutes ago, mk11 said:

DSCF4305.JPG

... and maybe, while we're dreaming, a mid sixties mopar wagon   :P

DSCF4006.JPG

I have seen where Gofer Racing is offering decal sheets with fictitious company names. They might be a good place to look for a company or resort name for a future build. I like how the owner of the Chevrolet wagon added the fox wood trim to the doors on this. 

On 2/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, espo said:

The '59 El Camino would only need a body cast as a 2 door wagon or even a 4 door wagon. The Tail Gate is already there. Just add a roof and a couple of different interior panels. The chassis, while somewhat plain by todays standards, already has the correct Fuel Tank  and other basic features.   

Now this is a compelling idea. I LIKE where this is going.

Not sure how well the Revell 66 Chevelle wagon actually sold to retail, but my guess is that R2 is likely looking at an existing tool that can be fixed cheaply and they can recover their costs in the pre-sell. That said, look for a Nova wagon as there are some who would build it as a drag car and others who might build it stock or slightly modified. With the recent Grumpy's Toy version, they have a nice small block and bench seat already to go, so maybe toss in a few extras and SHAZAM!