Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 50 Chevy patina truck

Well I'm very glad to get one in the done column. It's been a year or more since the last. This one I built straight through, in four months. That's some sort of record for me.

ANyway, this is of course the AMT '50 Chevy 3100. To get the look I was after, the cab was channeled just a smidge (removed the mounting bosses and trimmed the fenderwells) and the front suspension was lowered the same smidge by sanding down the mounting points. The bed was channeled to get the bed down level with the bottom of the cab, like the 1:1 example, which would raise the tops of the rear fenders on the bedside. I don't really do a lot of replicas of anything, but there was so much I liked about the 1:1 truck that I just had too. I regret not using the sky blue as my base color. I'm lacking a deep contrast in the build that I think the blue would have brought. I moved the rear axle backward about 5 scale inches to enhance the rake a bit and give it a longer look. I was going to add the bedside support like on the 1:1, to replicate a 3/4 ton bed, but by the time I rememebered it, it was already painted. ?

The engine is an AMT 409 from the '57 Chevy kit, with a couple of strombergs replacing the sidedrafts. I thought quite hard about buying an aftermarket turbo diesel which would really fit the theme of the build better, but in the end I just couldn't justify spending the $30 when there were good engines in the stash already. The wheels are eight lugs from the Monogram Poison Pinto kit and the tires from the Monogram 4x4 Ford. The bed, running boards are scratch built and yes, the exhaust is running out the opening in the running board. Likely not a smart idea in reality, but happily this is just plastic. The seat cover pattern was printed on thin fabric. The rear fenders are hand formed from aluminum sheet.

I had a blast with this one. As always, comments, critiques and discussion are welcome and appreciated. I only improve as a builder if someone points out what I could have done better. Thanks. A big thanks to my local club members, Chip, Lee and Rob who provided parts to make this happen.

49089838398_9428614cba_c.jpg

49481410912_84b2e30da6_c.jpg

49481414462_b12307629a_c.jpg

49481439712_6de7984133_c.jpg

49104297826_5e9a672be4_c.jpg

49480706938_dbcca7bf48_c.jpg

49480707688_18e71b615c_c.jpg

49481194061_74e80ee7ba_c.jpg

49481403867_deee06ca16_c.jpg

49480747348_2a55e43667_c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Nice work on concept and weathering. An interesting take on a familiar kit.

I can't take credit on the concept. That photo really grabbed me as being so cool and different. A real beast of a vehicle without going full Mad Max.

As for "an interesting take", man that's my goal on every build. ?

Great looking build Rob! I like the idea and your execution. 

Can you explain more about the printing of the seat pattern on thin fabric? How would I do this and what would I use? My wife is pretty computer savvy and is getting into quilting. It would be a no brainer to have her print some stuff up for me, if I have what is available to do it. PM me, if you need to.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Great looking build Rob! I like the idea and your execution. 

Can you explain more about the printing of the seat pattern on thin fabric? How would I do this and what would I use? My wife is pretty computer savvy and is getting into quilting. It would be a no brainer to have her print some stuff up for me, if I have what is available to do it. PM me, if you need to.

Later-

Thanks Tom. The material I used is a lint free cloth like you might find in a high end factory with a clean room. They are expensive and I have very little left.

https://www.amazon.com/Lint-Free-Cloth-9x9-100-PK/dp/B00K33BWFG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lint+free+cloth+9x9&qid=1581101402&s=industrial&sr=1-4

However, I'm told that printable swatches are available in the quilting section of most craft stores. Should be a breeze for you. I adhere it to the seat with some double sided tape,

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

That's really kick-butt looking!  You captured the spirit of the real truck really well!  I've built this kit 3 times, so of course I like the subject.

Too bad I finally got around to making door handles, would have contributed a pair.

Thanks Kurt. That would have been nice.

25 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Thanks Tom. The material I used is a lint free cloth like you might find in a high end factory with a clean room. They are expensive and I have very little left.

https://www.amazon.com/Lint-Free-Cloth-9x9-100-PK/dp/B00K33BWFG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lint+free+cloth+9x9&qid=1581101402&s=industrial&sr=1-4

However, I'm told that printable swatches are available in the quilting section of most craft stores. Should be a breeze for you. I adhere it to the seat with some double sided tape,

Thanks. Next time my wife goes to Joann fabrics I'll have her ask about it and maybe pick some up.

Later-

On 2/10/2020 at 3:13 PM, crazyjim said:

Going SHINY?

Yes. The 32 Chrysler beach racer I'm doing will have a gloss paint job. I won't be polishing it out, but a gloss paint seems to fit the build. Then I'm going to pull the '37 Chevy hot rod outa mothballs which is already gloss green, and finish it, and then the Allison Charger, which I was planning to do in a high gloss. I'll have my spray booth set up here real soon, which is badly needed.