Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1970 Buick GSX 1/24. First for 2020.

Dragonhawk1066

Finished my first build of 2020. Monogram 1970 Buick GSX 1/24 scale. Color is Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal cleared with Tamiya TS-13 clear. Interior is Rustoleum 2X Satin Canyon Black and the woodgrain is done with Apple Barrel Nutmeg Brown over Khaki craft paint. The engine and transmission were done in craft paint also, as was the exhaust. I added spark plug wires/boots and Fireball Modelworks Radial T/A decals for the tires and printed my own license plate. I also raised the rear 1/4" (6 inches in 1:1) because it sits too low as kitted. I built one of these some 30+ years ago and did it in the factory yellow, so this time I wanted to do it a little different. I'm glad I did because I think it looks really good with the red and black stripe package. Thanks for looking!

DSCN3964.JPG

DSCN3966.JPG

DSCN3967.JPG

DSCN3969.JPG

DSCN3970.JPG

DSCN3972.JPG

DSCN3977.JPG

DSCN3981.JPG

DSCN3982.JPG

DSCN3950.JPG

DSCN3952.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Gorgeous GS-X !  I really like that Light Gunmetal ; a colour which works on new and old cars alike --- timeless .

I have one of these kits in my "To Do" stack . I'm thinking of painting it a more of a Buick-fitting colour ; I'll have to research other 1970 Buick colours (maybe a grey-green metallic) .

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nice work!

In my opinion, it looks better in this color combo than it ever did in the stock yellow or white!

Steve

I have to agree with Steve! While the color may be technically "wrong", it just looks so right! It really suits it well and looks like it could have been an available color. It definitely should have been! Nice work! 

13 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Very nice. I really like the color. 

Thanks Rob!

13 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Great looking Buick!

Thanks John!

12 hours ago, larman said:

Looks great on that color!

Thank you Larry!

12 hours ago, Bucky said:

Fantastic build! Great color on this one.

Thanks Keith!

8 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

YES!!!!! So good to see one in a gorgeous color like this, and yours is really beautifully done.  Great work!

Thank you Kevin!

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nice work!

In my opinion, it looks better in this color combo than it ever did in the stock yellow or white!

Steve

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I have to agree with Steve! While the color may be technically "wrong", it just looks so right! It really suits it well and looks like it could have been an available color. It definitely should have been! Nice work! 

Thank you Steven and Roger! I agree, it definitely just looks right.

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

Super nice build.

Thanks Jim!

1 hour ago, drodg said:

That looks great!

Thanks David!

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Beautiful! Love the colour!

Thanks Craig!

1 hour ago, SoDak1 said:

Very well done I would be proud to have this on my shelf. Kudos for going your own way on the color 

Thanks Jeffery!

2 hours ago, oldnslow said:

Wow , love the color (my first new car , 70 Nova was that color ) and goes with the stripes well . Great job on the car looks spot on .

Thanks Robert!

1 hour ago, Geno said:

WOW, WOW, Wow, that is stunning. Beautifully done Craig.

Thanks Gene!

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Gorgeous GS-X !  I really like that Light Gunmetal ; a colour which works on new and old cars alike --- timeless .

I have one of these kits in my "To Do" stack . I'm thinking of painting it a more of a Buick-fitting colour ; I'll have to research other 1970 Buick colours (maybe a grey-green metallic) .

Thanks John! A friend of mine has a 1:1 that he did in the Camaro Synergy Green. He's owned and restored several Skylark/GS/GSX in several colors for himself and others.