Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvaging old tutorials

I’ve posted quite a few tutorials, and I used Photobucket (P/B) as the hosting site for the images. When P/B got greedy, they started watermarking photos if you didn’t pay their hosting fees. In doing so, they made my tutorials virtually worthless. The image below is an example: the upper half is what I uploaded to P/B, and the lower half is what you see because I didn’t bow to the P/B extortion. I’ve noticed other tutorials that have the same blurred images.

image.png.51c84805081ba24d8400c8142a14cb87.png

Since you can’t edit older posts (I only wanted to replace the images), I had to come up with Plan B. In an effort to salvage a tutorial that has popped up several times recently (bending tubing), I diligently copied the text into MS Word, located the original images on P/B, and was ready to create a new tutorial when it occurred to me there was a better way.

After locating the images on P/B, I opened the bending tubing tutorial in another window, went to the end of the tutorial part (before the comments were posted) and selected the Quote box. I then went to the quoted tutorial text/photos area, deleted the butchered images (one at a time), and copy/pasted the pristine images one at a time. After all was said and done, I did the Submit thing.

As a result, the original tutorial was salvaged, although you have to scroll to the end to see the revised version. An added attraction: if anyone has bookmarked the original tutorial, that bookmark is still valid.

Here’s a link to the bending tutorial after the above processes were applied.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/102629-bending-tubing/

6 hours ago, peteski said:

I think that if you contact the moderators, they might let you edit your old posts to upload photos to the forum and refresh the original posts.

This problem has been discussed recently. See

Thanks, I'll do that after the connectivity issue has calmed down. In your example, one post was involved; I would be affecting quite a few posts.

1 hour ago, BigTallDad said:

Thanks, I'll do that after the connectivity issue has calmed down. In your example, one post was involved; I would be affecting quite a few posts.

Who knows, maybe they can give you permissions to edit any of your posts for some period of time.

Edited by peteski