Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Aston Martin DB5

THarrison351

Well, if you Google Aston Martin DB5, the Silver Birch color version of the James Bond movie car pops up everywhere. As well as it should. Prior to the release of the movie Goldfinger, the car had barely been released to the public. The movie's special effects expert John Stears, persuaded Aston Martin to make its DB5 prototype available to make the film. Which Mr Stears modified into the famous Bond car with all the special gadgets. Ian Flemming released the novel Goldfinger with James Bond driving a DB3. The DB5  built from 1963-1965, was largely a carryover from the 1958-1963 DB4. The principle difference being the all-aluminium 4.0 liter engine; a ZF five-speed transmission, and three SU carburetors. The engine produced 282 hp and could achieve 145 mph. The DB4/5 had nothing in common with the previous DB3 design. The DB3 had a platform style chassis while the DB4/5 used a magnesium-alloy body/chassis built to superleggera or tubular type patent technique. Standard equipment on the DB5 included reclining leather seats, wool pile carpets, electric windows, twin fuel tanks, chrome wire wheels, oil cooler, full leather trim in the cabin and even a fire extinguisher. I've tried unsuccessfully for some time to find a repairable Danbury Mint James Bond DB5, but either they're too far gone or out of my price range. The standard version in Dubonnet Rosso metallic however, is in my price range, you just have to be careful of severe paint rash to the point of structural failure. I've seen a lot, especially in the gas cap covers, hoods, and trunk lids. This is an older release from DM, but it is very well detailed. The engine bay is plumbed and wired, the leather covered seats articulate, there's a cover in the floor for the spare in the trunk, the grille and badges are photo-etched, a working antenna, adjustable sun visors, opening gas caps, finely executed wire wheels. and all the markers and lighting lens are clear, amber, or red plastic instead of painted chrome. The only thing that's kind of heavy handed is the front steering mechanism. I'm very happy to say I got a good deal on this one in it's box and all it needed was a good polish to bring out this beautiful paint's shine. Here's the pictures

RHSide-vi.jpg

Front-vi.jpg

Rear2-vi.jpg

Engine-vi.jpg

Interior-vi.jpg

Trunk-vi.jpg

GasCap-vi.jpg

Chassis2-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I post the 1968 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Edited by THarrison351

Lovely model and interesting model history. Technically the 'DB3' model type refers to the sports racer:

image.jpeg.0d3fd70b59c6d0e27c612cab193ef999.jpeg

The forerunner to the DB4 was known as the DB MK III:

1957 Aston Martin DB Mk III fr.jpg

Even Ian Fleming himself got this confused, so the car is referred to in the book as a DB3, which it wasn't!

Apologies for being pedantic, and thanks for posting!  

NICE!  I just sold the one in Todd's collection last month to someone in South Africa thru Global Shipping.  It was nice - very little rash, one of the least rash I've seen.  And yes these cars look great when cleaned up.   Those working gas filler doors are always scary to me - way too easy to break, like so many of the other fine details on the nicer diecasts.  

13 hours ago, DonW said:

Lovely model and interesting model history. Technically the 'DB3' model type refers to the sports racer:

image.jpeg.0d3fd70b59c6d0e27c612cab193ef999.jpeg

The forerunner to the DB4 was known as the DB MK III:

1957 Aston Martin DB Mk III fr.jpg

Even Ian Fleming himself got this confused, so the car is referred to in the book as a DB3, which it wasn't!

Apologies for being pedantic, and thanks for posting!  

Thanks for the education. I'm always happy to learn!

?  I actually learned the difference from a gentleman who turned up at work some years ago in a DB MKIII, the first one I remember seeing up close!

Years earlier I had a memorable ride in a DB2 driven by a schoolfriends' Mum and had a ride many years later in a work colleagues' later model Vantage but I've never ridden in a DB5 which to me is the grail.

Cheers,

-Don.

I have this 1:25 scale MPC kit of a DB6.  So far I have only made a mold and a couple of copies of the body.  I have a guy that wants to create a convertible version for me to cast.  I paid a fair amount for this kit.

20200209_195157.jpg

Edited by Greg Wann

Greg that rear valence is fiddly IIRC, as was the Bond DB5. 

Volante DB6 would be cool. I think I have a DB5 builder with good body as well if that would be helpful. 

I bought nice DM Bond DB5 ages ago for great deal. Only issue was previous owner cut bottoms of right side tires off to keep from rolling, did it about 1/2 way up tire profile. 

Car had spare in trunk, so that fixed one. I found Dubonnet DB5 for dirt cheap, boxes, papers, was going to steal spare and sell. Paint and car perfect on arrival, thing was cheaper than a couple Maistos delivered. I stole spare, but the maroon car too nice to sell. Kept it, one of my favorite casting they did. 

Forgot-Matchbox did great DB2 coupe, early casting. I've got my one-owner in Dubonnet red with black knurled wheels. Best looking one of the bunch. 

Edited by keyser