Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Corvette C7 ZR1 model starting with a diecast

ismaelg

Hello,

So the baddest Corvette of them all, the mighty C7 ZR1 has never been offered in a plastic scale model. What a shame! The C7 Corvette generation in general has not been kitted. Only the snap Stingray and the "glue version" which is not much better.  I fear we'll be in the same situation with the C8 and C8R but that's another topic.
So I either had to wait forever or get creative.  You know where this is going.  The only starting point in 1/24 - 1/25 scale would be one of those cheap diecasts. 
MotorMax finally released the ZR1 in 1/24 scale.  
Typical diecast, the paint is bad, the door gaps are ridiculously huge, mirrors are cast into the doors, the rear spoiler is a joke, the wheels are a tad undersized, the interior is a joke... and I can fill a page of wrong things with it.  But: I told myself "It is what it is!  Shut up, Suck it up and jump in!"
Is it even worth a try with so many great kits I have started or about to start?  Why not?  I've never claimed to be normal.
So here it is:
2v2HHHQHdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HHHQZNxJ21ND.jpg

Grilles are molded in... ouch!  That will be the limiting factor in this "build".

2v2HHHQANxJ21ND.jpg 

I like the stripper.... wait, that doesn't sound right.  The stripper did a good job quickly... no wait... that doesn't sound right.... whatever! :)
2v2HHPEcqxJ21ND.jpg

So here is where I am now.  Several other projects are on the bench so I'm not sure how quickly I'll work on this one, but it is officially started.

2v2HHsroFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HHsr3CxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HHsrvLxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Very cool! I have one of these in the same color and I like it a lot. I did about an hour's worth of Snake-Fu tweaks on it but will be interested in your work to see if there's anything else I should or can do. Drive on! B)

Edited by Snake45

Can't wait to see what you do with it.  But for me, the OOB version looks like a Corvette, whether it's right or worng.  Not something I'll be by=uying but I do love to see the modifications and such that can be done.   I can always learn somethng and get to see a nice transformation.  

Thanks for sharing as you go.

Hello,

With so many started projects and so many excellent kits in the stash, why am I wasting my precious little time in a sub-par turd of a project?  I have no idea!
Lost count of how many hours used in this door.  No in progress pictures but below that primer there are dozens of little styrene strips glued here there and everywhere, superglue, putty and what not to make it halfway decent.

2v2HaRkUyxJ21ND.jpg

Just as a reference, here is the other side, still untouched.
2v2HaRkKNxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,

Read more: http://race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/1846/2019-c7-zr1-corvette#ixzz6DEDwC5SQ

Hello,

Just landed from a business trip to Houston.  My Scalefinishes order  was waiting for me in the mailbox.
2v2HZmdNzxJ21ND.jpg

I know, orange ZR1s are a "cliché", but I really like it.
Hope to get back to the workbench soon.  I need to work that primer a bit more before color can be applied.

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

Hi Len,

Been very busy so I haven't touched it since February.

For stripping, I used ZEP aerosol paint remover.  I think I got it from Auto Zone or maybe Pep Boys.  It works very well and it is not as harsh as aircraft aluminum stripper.

zep.jpg 

Thanks,
Ismael

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

Sorry I did not update this thread.  Let me get you up to speed:

Last month my airbrush went on a rabid rampage that included clearcoating the ZR1.

2v2H4SZDnxJ21ND.jpg

(The blue Viper is finished and posted in this forum.)

I am really beginning to dislike working on diecasts.  I do it only because of the subject.
Anyways, this sucker is polished.  For the life of me I can't get a painted diecast to polish like a plastic model despite using the same primer, paint, clear and technique.  Don't know why.

2v2HTzpSrxJ21ND.jpg

What?  Two days on a single decal? No wonder I never finish anything....
So I made a tape template of the roof. Transferred to a SMS CF decal and carefully cut it.  Carefully but frighten as hell I applied it.  Decal Sol worked beautifully.  Coated it with Future floor polish. 

2v2HTzpCqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2HTzpWyxJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,
Ismael

Thanks Randy!

Alright, bear with me.  By now there should be absolutely no doubt about me not been normal.  
After the ordeal of stripping an orange car to repaint in ...  orange,  it should be a matter of putting it back together, right?
WRONG!
The car came with an unusable  toy rear spoiler that supposedly represents option ZTK (High Downforce aero package).  That package also includes additional aero parts in the front splitter  as you can see in this picture of the untouched model out of the package.

2v2HSa4J8xJ21ND.jpg 

This has 2 problems: First, No way I'm using that spoiler, Second (and here is the trouble) I want my ZR1 with the low downforce package for higher top speed.  Not the ZTK High wing that reduces top speed from 212MPH to a mundane 202 MPH.
So I need to make my own Low Wing rear spoiler.  No sure yet on how to do that (I have some ideas I need to try) but that's another story.
But in order to make it a lower downforce kit, the front splitter needs to be modified.  Those aero fences must go. Problem is everything is molded in and very thick.  I Also found out too late the body has notches to accommodate this.
So here we go:
I made 2 filler panels to address the notches in the body.  Having I noticed this earlier I would have blended them before painting but these will do.
2v2HSaPcoxJ21ND.jpg

The splitter was severely modified and it is now looking like this:
2v2HSaPf5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2HSaPANxJ21ND.jpg

I also opened the molded exhaust.
2v2HSaPBrxJ21ND.jpg

The interior is beyond hope. Everything is molded in one piece and the seats are not only nowhere near what they should be, but probably the worst seats I've ever seen since my Tonkas of the 70's.  I wonder how GM licensed this.   It will all be black to hide it.  There is a HUGE hole behind the seats. I made a paper template and transferred to sheet plastic.  Will be painted black.
2v2HSaPt8xJ21ND.jpg

Thanks,