Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint questions; Monster Kolor, Zero Paints & MCW

This is part of my issue with companies like MCW.

I absolutely love the product, but their website leaves something to be desired.

I really wouldn't expect them to have chips for every color they offer on their website.

That would be nearly impossible.

But their "cross referencing" is terrible!

For example, if you're looking for a particular Buick color, very often they will have it in stock, but it might be listed as a Chevrolet color under a different name.

This requires that you have to cross check by going to a paint referencing site like "PaintRef.com" to determine if the Chevrolet color is the same as the Buick color you're seeking.

It's a real PITA!!

This is another advantage that Scale Finishes holds over MCW.

Scale Finishes has all of their colors listed by name for a particular make and year regardless of whether the color is the same code under a different name.

It makes it infinitely easier to find the exact color that you are looking for.

Steve

Thanks, fellas. I've been to the various sites mentioned, but as has been stated, they all leave a lot to be desired. I have a 60ml bottle of Zero sitting here (Cobra guardsman blue), and it got me wondering if they, or one of the other two, makes a really nice orange color that I'd like. Monster makes a killer paint called Pumpkiss that I'd like to use on a Willys gasser that I'm working on, but the site doesn't even say if it's a lacquer or what,... very frustrating.

48 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Thanks, fellas. I've been to the various sites mentioned, but as has been stated, they all leave a lot to be desired. I have a 60ml bottle of Zero sitting here (Cobra guardsman blue), and it got me wondering if they, or one of the other two, makes a really nice orange color that I'd like. Monster makes a killer paint called Pumpkiss that I'd like to use on a Willys gasser that I'm working on, but the site doesn't even say if it's a lacquer or what,... very frustrating.

Zero paints are basecoat lacquer, so needs clear coating. 

4 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

Zero paints are basecoat lacquer, so needs clear coating. 

That much I was already aware of, as the bottle was given to me by a good pal that had already used a small portion of it on his own Cobra model, but thanks very much anyway, I certainly do appreciate any help I can get here.