Model Cars Magazine Forum

The nose emblem on my car "wore out".  (I thought it was speed rated for the car…)

Rather than buying a new one (or two as the rear one is aged too) I drew a replacement up in SolidWorks and printed it in what turned out to be seven pieces. 

NZMKCSO.jpg

I had to grow the main body in two pieces due to size restrictions of the printer and I engineered a separate "V" part to reinforce that joint along with locating pins and holes.  (The two ¼ inch holes are for the mounting pins for installation, not shown.)

The insert parts that were originally cloisonné elements were also rendered and grown as separate pieces for ease in painting.

EpCRiz2.jpg

Mounting posts were post-machined for a perfect fit to the car.

mOeZd4m.jpg

All three final pattern parts dry fitted before creating an RTV mold.

AjgXVog.jpg

Cast parts fresh out of the mold.

ZOiKKaO.jpg

Finished painted test assembly.  Now to make the two I'll put on the car…

x0kstwh.jpg

Very cool!  You have some serious skills and resources most of us can only dream of.

Couple of questions:

How much would the OEM replacement badge cost?

I'm wondering if your painted resin-cast badge will be as durable as the original factory-made badge?

Edited by peteski

Thanks guys!

The OEM versions for my car are about $200.00 a pair, when you can find them.  (I need two.)  There are a lot of cheaper "replacements" that are not OEM.  They look cheap and still cost more than they are worth to me.

I went with a C6 badge even though mine is a C5.  (I have C6 wheels on it too.)  I can always put the correct badges later on it since they are held on by foam tape, but right now I'm just enjoying my car.

They should hold up OK as I've used the same materials on other real cars and had no problems.  As long lasting as an OEM?  Probably not; time will tell how long.  The OEM badges often degrade in a dozen years on cars that see sun.  Ironically the inserts outlive the frames.   I have the molds and materials to make more if needed.  Who knows, I may make a different design...

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Looks good! And if they get damaged you can always print more!

As I understand Mark's 3D printed (grown) parts were just masters for making RTV molds.  The final badges were resin cast in those molds (so I guess more can easily be cast).  Cool!