Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many MPC gangbuster kits were there?

The individual '32 Chevy kits had the accessories but were not in Gangbusters series packaging.  The boxes for the individual kits resembled MPC '66 annual kits.  The Gangbusters Chevy kit was an expensive 7-in-1 deal with both bodies included.  That kit built one car, not two.

The 2 Lincolns probably closest to '28's. Roadster and Phaeton

The '32 Imperial convertible sedan, and the '32 Chrysler roadster (For some reason I think it's a CG Roadster not an Imperial.)

The combo kit 32 Chevy Cabriolet and Panel. 

MPC issued a couple other classics in Not Gangbusters.  1914 Stutz Bearcat issued x3 IIRC, one was TV show, one a Connoisseur Classic, and one a regular issue in red.

The 33 Panel came out as a 66 style box, no real GB stuff.

All the GB cars have been reissued a few times. Decent to build. 

Pretty much what people said, had to add the Stutz, neat kit people forget about.   

On 2/7/2020 at 6:21 PM, SfanGoch said:

MPC 205-249 was a 9 in 1 kit, 7 stock and 2 rods.

Your parts layout photo confused me for a minute.  It shows 2 sets of full fenders.  

I have a GB '32 Chevy found at a flea market.  Checking my kit instructions, it only came with one set of fenders, the ones with spare-tire wells. Which is also visible on the instructions in your photo.  All four kit builds have the spare tire wells.  The 2 hot rod versions just don't have the tires in them.

So I guess the owner of that kit got a bonus set of fenders. Wonder if MPC goofed (not unheard of), or he just threw them in the box from another kit. 

EDIT: the '27 Lincoln roadster Gangbuster kit has a neat feature and a neat accessory to go with it.  The kit has a golf-bag door on the passenger side, and includes a golf club bag and a few clubs to put inside it.  I think no other GB kit had the golf stuff.  I don't know if it was in the 1970's "Connoisseur Classics" re-issue.  That was the last re-issue of the '27 Lincoln, as far as I know.

Edited by Mike999
omit2

The '32 Chrysler Imperial "roadster" is definitely a convertible coupe.  Here's a "31 Imperial roadster for comparison:

2811.jpg

Also, according if these production figures from HowStuffWorks are right,  Chrysler didn't build any Imperial roadsters in 1932, though a few do seem to have been custom built:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/1931-1933-chrysler-imperial-eight5.htm

Edited by Richard Bartrop

This gorgeous thing is evidently around, but only from cowl back. Front end is now stock CL Imperial. :(

Woodlites, grille, hood sides, and louvers transform the car. Just killer. Project for the new re-issue, or 1:1 project for Sam Mann. 

image.thumb.png.80133dbaaa2e03a81559e1c54203589e.png

Real Chicago Gangbusters 31 Sedan with bulletproof glass and gun ports. Serious iron for 31.

2079742108_32ChryCLChicagoPolice1933interceptor.thumb.jpg.dabd7f177cc7a34fb4facd569582dc5d.jpg

32-33 CL, convertible roadster as Richard said. 

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/337758-classic-era-chrysler/  Fun thread, stays on topic for 3 pages. Astounding. Works just like all the other forums I'm on. And, you're smarter when you finish reading a thread. AACA is fast pitch. LOL. 

Link to different car but ibid 

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MB08/Vintage-Motor-Cars-of-Meadow-Brook/lots/r200-1932-chrysler-cl-imperial-convertible-roadster-by-lebaron/487526

ChryslerCLRoadster.jpg

4 hours ago, keyser said:

This gorgeous thing is evidently around, but only from cowl back. Front end is now stock CL Imperial. :(

Woodlites, grille, hood sides, and louvers transform the car. Just killer. Project for the new re-issue, or 1:1 project for Sam Mann. 

image.thumb.png.80133dbaaa2e03a81559e1c54203589e.png

I believe this is the car today, and it is a beauty. The top and windshield from a Jo-Han MB 500K look like they might be close.

1196425087_561e6ca036_b.jpg

I think the '31-'32 Imperials are some of the best looking of an era of already stunningly beautiful cars.  Sure, it's a copy of a Cord L-29, but there are far worse things to copy.

• 3 years later...

Great looking classic autos! When the original Gangbusters series came out around '66, four of them had 'photobox' covers. The Chrysler roadster did not, had nice box art with the Gangbusters equipment described on a side panel:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpc-204-200-chrysler-roadster-1932--1127306

Here's an article with pix of the full display that was at the IPMS Nationals in '15:

https://forum.ipmsusa3.org/topic/15576-gangbusters-at-the-2015-columbus-nationals/#comment-84012

Hope I get one of these built soon or maybe all five!

Cheers,

Doc