Model Cars Magazine Forum

how old are you??

Spike

Im 44 and have been modeling since I was about 7/8, my parents did'nt mind my hobby until I spilled a bottle of chrome silver on the carpet. my wife is another story, See I have about 300 kits and she wants me to build all of them, without collecting anymore before I Die. :rolleyes:

Gabriel.

I'm old enough to remember when gas was 39 cents a gallon, the attendant pumped it for you, he checked the oil and cleaned your windows, and they gave you a glass or dishes or trading stamps on top of all that... and yet somehow the oil companies still made a profit just fine... :rolleyes:

Spike,

Old enough to be retired but not old enough to be collecting a government old age pension but if I were, the money would be going to support my hobby. Been building since the late 1950's and hope to continue as long as I can.

Modelling has led to meeting and becoming friends with a lot of fine people over my life, has helped me to develop a strong interest in the study of history, certainly kept me out of other activities which would not have been good for me (I'd prefer to spend my disposable income on plastic then buy booze, drugs & smokes), taught me the life skills of patience and numerous fine motor skills. I came to the conclusion many years ago that "every model planned and built is an experience in solving problems". Another modelling friend likes to quote da Vinci, "model building is being able to hold history in your hands".

Don't let anyone try to convince you that building scale models is not a worthwhile activity at any age.

robw

I'm now 32 as of (oct 7th), and my Father started telling me that I was too old for the Hobby when I was 12..... Oddly enough, it was seeing him and my Mother building and me helping, when they were in their mid- Late 30's and into their 40's, that got me started into the hobby....

Just kindly remind your Parents that there are more Life Threatning,Expensive, and Addictive Hobbies that you could be into(Drugs,Sex,Gambling,Drinking,Theft, and Etc)...

Happy Early B-day BTW Mr. O :rolleyes:

Edited by Dragon7665

29 here and I've been building off and on since I was 7.

My wife has come to accept my habit. At least I'm not out drinking with guys or getting into any other kind of trouble when I get off work at night. We've got an agreement that she'll learn to build a kit when I sit down and learn to scrapbook. Neither side has had to pay out yet.

My boys (7 and 5) have built a few snap kits that never seem to last very long and my oldest will be introduced to painting on his next project.

:lol: I'm 55, be 56 next April 1st. Been buildin pretty steady since Apr.1st 1959 wen my big brudder bought me my 1st model(A Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker) Built quite a few since then. Even in the service AND in Viet Nam,I built military models an gave em to my C.O.'s( Brownie Points) All the wimmin in my life, have always accepted my hobby (cept once , when my mom tried to throw em out, an Pop came to my rescue) God Bless Him. I sure do miss Him. Got lotsa parts an stuff though. :lol:

I'm 51, my dad started me building car models when I was 7 or 8. I won't ever give it up, my eyes too went bad at about 40 :blink: so I just use more and more magnification :lol: . My son (20) also builds when he's not busy with college studies. My wife is pretty tolerant of our hobby, but doesn't understand my 300 plus stash of kits. My son and I belong to a great car model club with a bunch of great guys. The hobby is all good as long as all of us out here regardless of age keep on building. B)

Well I just turned 28 today and I actually just got back into the hobby about 4 years ago. I built between the ages of about 6 to 13 then suddenly the girls at school weren't built like 7 year old boys anymore. I spent high school chasing women and gettin in trouble. After school I went to the service where I spent my money on...um.... I actually don't remember where it went. I had fun though. After that I moved around a lot and continued to chase women. It wasn't until one of them caught me with a bear trap ( ouch B) ) that I began to settle down. As we prepared to start our family and I came to the realization that I probably shouldn't raise my kids taking advice from royalty. ( Crown Royal to be exact) So I got back into models and out of the bars. I still have a beer occasionaly, especially when my 3 year old gets a hold of a wip or a fresh build. Someone said that some of you were old enough to be their parents, fortunately for me one of you are my parent and without him I may have never discovered this hobby. Thanks dad. With all that said I've met some really great in a lot of places throughout my life. I must say that in this hobby the amount of stand up, friendly, and knowledgable people always amazes me. The bad eggs are very few and far between. Thanks guys. Talk to you later. -Will

HEY!

New here two. I'm 46 (started when I was 4-5)and still buiding. I've tried to quite numoerous times and, it ain't happening. I'm also an model railroader. B) I really miss those days when models were very prevalent in the five & dimes and AMT had massive line.

JC.

32 going on 33 in Dec. I tinkered with model cars when I was growing up, but I didn't really start building until last spring. I had a couple kits unfinished and I decided to pick one up and finish it when I quit smoking. Haven't looked back and regret nothing. The $1500 I was spending a year on cigarettes went right into kits and tools. :)

I'll be 29 in DEC. Unfortunatly I don't have the support from my wife that most of you do. Every time I buy a new kit she asks "why do you need another one when you have so many to still work on"? I HAVE A TOTAL OF TEN UNBUILT, LOL. Oh well, what can you do. She knew about my hobby when she married me.

I just turned 40. My 64 year old father still builds. My 14 year old son builds.

My wife and remainder of the family fully support us...

As a Dad of a 14, 16, and a 20 year old, I thank God everyday that my kids don't come home drunk, stoned, pregnant, etc...

They have safe interests SO FAR. Model building is a safe interest.

What are your parents concerns?

Edited by airbrush addict

I'll be 38 just before Christmas this year, and except for minor seasonal/motivational breaks over the years, I've been at it since about age 7.

My mom and one older brother got me into it way back when, and both are still enthusiastic; he still builds on rare occasions, but she has yet to get back at it(she has a stash of 5 or 6 unbuilts & about 5 built-ups). My wife is a scrapbooker, so neither of us can throw stones about how much space and $$ each other's hobbies consume....I got her into building a few years back, and she has one finished model - with about 4 more waiting for attention.

I'm 66 this month, been building since Revell was 1/32 scale, started modelling cars in 1952, at 10 yrs of age.

Built many of the Revell "69-cent hot rod", first serious kitbash was the Revell 1921 Center Door Model T Sedan, chopped top with hot needle (over gas stove) and used running gear, big & little tire sets, and Flathead V8 from one of those 69-cent hot rod kits!

Laid off in 1962, last kit was the "Big Deuce", poured in red. (did it as a Highboy)

Regained interest in '78, a strange story. I'll tell it in a different post.

My wife builds, too. She's 53, looks and acts way younger. She likes MoPars, but digs it all. I am blessed.

32 going on 33 in Dec. I tinkered with model cars when I was growing up, but I didn't really start building until last spring. I had a couple kits unfinished and I decided to pick one up and finish it when I quit smoking. Haven't looked back and regret nothing. The $1500 I was spending a year on cigarettes went right into kits and tools. :)

You are old! :o

Not even close! But yup, great choice

Grimreaper, your avatar is awsome!

im 16, i built tanks every now and then from the time i was about 13 to maybe mid 14, then i picked up a viper model (first car) completely screwed it up and i stopped modeling till i was 15 and have been building cars non stop till then.

oh yeah, and i managed to revive most of the viper model..

I'm old enough to remember when gas was 39 cents a gallon, the attendant pumped it for you, he checked the oil and cleaned your windows, and they gave you a glass or dishes or trading stamps on top of all that... and yet somehow the oil companies still made a profit just fine... :huh:

I think that would put you around the 34-37 range.....in 1971 my dad was still paying 25 cents/gallon

I've been 35 for almost a year now. Started building around 5 yrs old, Dad and Grandpa got me started, and Dad still has 6 or 7 kits that he managed to keep out of the reach of my grubby mits, but hasn't built since the mid 80's. We all got into toy tractor and die cast car collecting around then, and growing up in Iowa made the trek to Dyersville every year for the National Farm Toy Show(Dad still does, grandpa passed away) which included a tour of the model kit factory. I always liked seeing the kits being made, but it never got them building again. I on the other hand never really stopped building, I slowed down for a couple years in highschool to party and make a lot of bad decisions, but now it's a full time hobby and I have my 4 and 12 year olds building and going to shows now too.