Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building for Ease of Disassembly....

While looking at glue bombs and such on the forums, and the work put into them, made me wonder about something. How many of you guys build your models with ease of disassembly in mind? Parts that stay together, like engine halves, should be glued well. What about interior to body and chassis?

Just something I've been wondering lately......

I'm never thinking ease of disassembly. I don't rebuild my models, so I'm not worried about whomever gets my builds after I'm pushing up daisies.

However, I do try to use the minimum amount of glue to do the job. In most cases, this practice would usually allow for the model to be disassembled without a major disaster.

I only build automotive and light truck subjects...

If a chassis (and/or) interior fits tight into a model body, I won't bother to glue it.  No reason to and it sometimes works to my advantage. I had a seat come loose and I was able to pull the car apart to fasten it down properly. Can also help with cleaning later on too.

I pin a lot of things together and if I have a very tight connection between the hole drilled and pin,  I often won't bother gluing things like mirrors and antennia.  Sometimes to transport models to shows, I will remove these so they don't break and pop them back on at the show.

Yes, I build with disassembly in mind and always have. This has allowed me to blow apart 10 (so far) of my teenage '60s builds and thoroughly clean and repair/restore/rebuild/upgrade them as necessary. And I have another dozen or so to do someday. 

25 minutes ago, peteski said:

My models are build *NEVER* to be disassembled!  :D

So were a bunch of glue bombs and survivors I've bought off eBay and at the local toy show. B)

But, as J. Neilson of Forged in Fire says, "We're gonna do it anyway." :lol:

Edited by Snake45