Model Cars Magazine Forum

Metalizers

20 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for restocks at your favorite store. With the exception of 1451 Aluminum Plate Buffing Metalizer, "they" have discontinued Metalizer in spray cans. You'll still be able to by the other shades in bottle form, which are still in the lineup.

Well, that bites a big one. Lotsa aircraft modelers are miffed, I'd assume.

Guess it's time to stock up on the bottle versions before they disappear too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've been using Alclad, been having good results with the exception of 'dull aluminum' which pulls from inside corners.  Saw on Facebook someone did a test of various brands, really need to find that and take notes, stuff I have never seen before.

C1 Models make a metallising powder that you rub on over a base coat. The base coat colour will determine how the buffed part will look when the powder is rubbed on and polished. A bit of trial and error to get the finish you want I guess!

Incidentally C1 reckon that decals can be applied directly to the buffed finish.

2 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

C1 Models make a metallising powder that you rub on over a base coat. The base coat colour will determine how the buffed part will look when the powder is rubbed on and polished. A bit of trial and error to get the finish you want I guess!

Incidentally C1 reckon that decals can be applied directly to the buffed finish.

That type of finish is very delicate.  Usually used for painting model aircraft for natural metal look.  Not so much for automotive models (rubbing metal powder onto an engine block or heads is not really very workable).

Hi Peter, generally most of the metallic run on powders are quite delicate as you said. I have just used some of C1's powder over a coat of Johnsons's Kleer (I think is has another name now) that I used over one of those craft polished Metallica from an aerosol. The Kleer  was applied with a soft flat Forman artists brush and levelled off beautifullly. I have never used an air brush with this product. No need. Once thiis had hardened off I used the C1 metallizer powder as directed and found it to be quite safe to handle afterwards. I was quite impressed with this product. They have a website for more details.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:56 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

That stuff looks great! They make it sound as if it's very durable, too. Thanks for the heads-up!