Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Notchback Mustang

Revell did, in 1969 and 1970.  Their kits could be built either as a convertible, or (with add-on vinyl roof) as the hardtop.  Not great kits, but the only ones in 1/25 scale.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

50 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

You could steal the top and trunk lid from the AMT 69 Cougar and transplant it on one of the Revell 69 Mustang kits. You might have to shorten it a bit, Cougars had a longer wheelbase but I'm not sure where the extra inches were added.

Yes..........I got a started project off eBay where someone did that very thing. I don't remember seeing where the roof may have been lengthened and unfortunately I'd take a pic of it, but like much of my other model stuff, it's buried in a box somewhere. I don't think the roof was modded other than simply transplanting one from another. Of course some changes to the rear deck would be needed.

That should be a pretty straightforward swap as far as I can see.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:32 AM, vamach1 said:

Gerry Chevalier was doing some resin copies of a 69 coupe.  He posted pictures on Facebook and I believe it is 1/24 and based on the Revell Monogram body.  Of course when I tried to find his posts I could not find any.  ?

I managed to get one of Gerry's Mustang Notchback bodies, along with a 69 Cougar fastback he mastered and cast with the parts left over from the Mustang conversion

On 2/9/2020 at 12:28 AM, Mark said:

Revell did, in 1969 and 1970.  Their kits could be built either as a convertible, or (with add-on vinyl roof) as the hardtop.  Not great kits, but the only ones in 1/25 scale.

I built one of those, brush painted Humbrol yellow with a matt black roof. It was very slightly chunky, thick plastic too as I recall...

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

You guys inspired an idea. Cut the roof and trunk from both a Cougar and a Mustang. Swap them. Voila! Notchback Mustang + Fastback Cougar.

You might try a search on this Forum, I recall someone doing just that in the resent past. 

There's more to converting a fastback to a coupe than swapping the roofs and trunks. The shape of the quarter panels at the top is quite different between the two. The coupe has a flat, barely sloped line at the top where the fastback's line slopes down substantially. Before you cut, do your research. 

12 hours ago, Plowboy said:

There's more to converting a fastback to a coupe than swapping the roofs and trunks. The shape of the quarter panels at the top is quite different between the two. The coupe has a flat, barely sloped line at the top where the fastback's line slopes down substantially. Before you cut, do your research. 

Thanks for the feedback. I was just throwing the idea out there. For those who can do bodywork (not me) I think they can pull it off.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Sorry. But, that's not even close. I hope that isn't a resin body that someone bought.

unnamed.jpg

There was no description.  This angle (your pic) clearly shows the difference.  Here is the original Revell kit which we all know was never reissued.  The kit had an optional hardtop.

IMG_5529.JPG

4 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I did a hardtop conversion on the '67 a while back. It's actually fairly simple if the cuts are planned right.

49106236976_f39afee761_b.jpg

I took the leftovers and created this abomination just to see if it would fit. Can’t make up my mind if I want to take it any further.

20200124_121516-1.jpg

If you don't,  maybe we can work something out.  I like it. ?