Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with a Paint Adhesion issue

This '55 Chevy was primed with Tamiya Surface Primer, painted with Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer base/clear paint, then cleared with Testors Extreme Lacquer Wet Look Clear. The paint/primer seems very brittle and doesn't seem to have stuck to the plastic very well. While gently trying to scrape the paint from where the head light bezels will get glued in, bigger chips of paint/primer just flaked right off. Does anyone have any opinion as to why this happened? Is it a compatibility issue with Tamiya primer and Testors paint? The body was sanded with 600 grit, and washed with soap and water prior to primer.

20200209_114444.jpg

Edited by RT6PK

I have in the past chipped paint on A-pillar of a model and I carefully re-glued it using tiny bit of CA glue (but epoxy wold work too).  Nobody but me knows where that spot is.

Maybe you can find the chipped paint and re-glue it?  Most of the repair will be covered by the bezel anyway.

Edited by peteski

I would never try to scrape paint from a body to glue finish parts to it.

It's a recipe for disasters such as this.

This is just the nature of the beast with lacquer.

It can chip very easily.

External parts can be glued on with any number of adhesives that do not require scraping, including CA glues or epoxies, among others.

I use almost no solvent based cements of any kind in the final assembly of my projects.

I save them for assemblies prior to paint.

Steve