Model Cars Magazine Forum

DESERT SCALE CLASSIC

Danno

DESERT SCALE CLASSIC is only 68 days away!  

• There are still some awards available for sponsorship!
  • There are still vendor tables available!
  • And, instant On-Line Registration for competitors / entries is now open!  Discounted entry fees for early, On-Line registration.
  • Competition in 30 classes, including special category for modelers under 16 years of age.
  • 101 unique plaques and trophies awarded, including Master Awards and a new, special award!
  • Free Make-N-Take for kids.
  • Vendor Expo / Swap Meet
  • All day Raffles and Door Prizes

Join us ~ along with scores of modelers from as many as 8 states ~ for the biggest, best, oldest and newest model car championship in Arizona!  DSC16!

Any and all information you'll ever need, including Instant On-Line Registration is available at our website (click here).

Best of Show - Desert Scale Classic 15 (last year), by John Teresi.

76d096f2322593dc20a8ee7e52bfd41b.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Cactus Car Modelers are greatly saddened to announce that DESERT SCALE CLASSIC 16 must be CANCELLED upon the directive from the Phoenix City Manager. The city has suspended all programs, meetings, and activities in its properties, including the Deer Valley Community Center, as a result of the untamed COVID-19 virus.

Please stand by for an announcement in the very near future concerning an exciting alternative venue we are working on!

We greatly appreciate the fantastic support of all our friends, entrants, participants, sponsors, vendors, and staff. It should go without saying we are truly disappointed, as we enjoy sharing this event with you.  But, considerations of the health and safety of all attendees must come first in light of the rising health risk associated with the COVID-19 virus.

Sponsors and vendors who have already invested in DSC-16 will be contacted next week with information and options.

Thank you for your continuing -- and growing -- enthusiastic support since 2005!

The DESERT SCALE CLASSIC Team

Cactus Car Modelers Club

Phoenix, AZ

We were very disappointed, too, but the eventuality of the public health risk, both real and perceived, dictated the decision along with the loss of our venue due to the city’s cancellation mandate.

But, stay tuned . . . We’re working on a dynamic work-around!

Had my annual trip to see the family all ready to go, looking forward to the contest and then the coronavirus!!  Being a county employee and knowing what we're going through i respect your decision.  Hopefully i can make it to the work around.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, Danno said:

We were very disappointed, too, but the eventuality of the public health risk, both real and perceived, dictated the decision along with the loss of our venue due to the city’s cancellation mandate.

But, stay tuned . . . We’re working on a dynamic work-around!

A different date is always an option.....

All dressed up for the dance:
IMG_1833_Fotor.jpg.9e477d985534c7ce2788d3aa6fd69f09.jpg
IMG_1841_Fotor.jpg.ecb65d7b2718a267a004454a4dbfe633.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today was supposed to be the 16th Annual DESERT SCALE CLASSIC Model Car Championship in Phoenix, AZ.  Until Coronavirus, we’ve never missed a date in more than a decade and a half.  But, fearing the travel and gathering restrictions may drag on and on, we decided to not miss this year, either!

So we innovated a work-around.  A plan that not only ensures another great DSC despite the stay-at-home lockdown, but also enables modelers from anywhere in the world to participate!

Our dscV16 - The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship is going strong!  There have been over 9,000 visits to our website since we launched it just 4 weeks ago! More than 200 entries so far and there’s still another two weeks before the registration deadline!

Beautiful awards for Best of Category, Second Place and Third Place in 29 Adult Categories plus a Youth Category!  Master Awards for Best Interior, Best Engine, Best Detail, Best Paint & Finish, and Best of Show.  Display Only Category for primer projects, works in progress, or past winners.

And, there’s a Virtual Vendor Room where you can shop for kits, parts, supplies, etc., almost like being in our usual vendor room any other year!

Plus, take some time to explore the winners and entrants from past years of the live DSC!

It’s an amazing project and you don’t want to miss out on this!!  Visit NOW.  Visit OFTEN (New Entries are added to the website as they come in).  Enter NOW (Registration ends May 1).

Tell Covid-19 where to go.  Join us at dscV16 - The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship. 

dscV16 - The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship

(Link: http://www.dscv16.com/)      

On 3/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Danno said:

COVID-19 Virus Quarantine?  In lockdown?  Sheltering at home?  Or someone else's home?

Don't come to Phoenix.  DSC-16 was canceled.  We'll come to you!

Rising from the ashes . . . 

dscV16 The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship

http://www.dscv16.com/home.html  

Dann - This is a fantastic solution. Misha let me know about it and I have been spreading the word and want to enter myself. I am wondering if you have a preferred photo file size?  I am concerned that large file high resolution photos might bog down the system and be slow to send and load. Also regarding the Replica class, what do you recommend for documentation?

Phil,

Thanks for your interest and your note.  Regarding photo files, I have to defer to our IT Team. As soon as you register your Entries, they will send you a guide that covers the photo image protocols from soup to nuts. It addresses everything, but if they miss something, you can contact them directly (their email address will be included). 

Regarding documentation for the Replica Category, anything that clearly shows the 1:1 vehicle you replicated is good. It can be magazine articles with pictures, dealer or manufacturer advertisements, brochures, manuals, etc., or, if it is a unique, specific vehicle, photos are good.  Go to the website, select the button labeled "The Championship" and scroll down to the Replicas page. There's an Entry that is a replication of a vehicle from the modeler's life.  Click on the Documentation button to see how he documented his Entry.

Thanks for supporting DSC and dscV16 - The Virtual Venue.  Enjoy, and Good Luck!

-dan- 

Just a quick note and reminder that the Registration and Entry deadline is looming near --> Only 9 days to go!

Don't miss the OnLine alternative to DESERT SCALE CLASSIC 16!  We all know why DSC16 had to be canceled, but rather than lose a whole year, we went viral!  Virtual!  Please go take a look at how it is shaping up! 

We have 300 entries so far from 50 builders representing 14 states and 3 provinces!  MORE THAN 11,000 visits to the website in the month since we launched!!  

How else can you show off your builds to 11,000 modeling enthusiasts?  

Plus ~ a Virtual Vendor Room where our vendors (and you can be a vendor, too) display items and products for sale via the Internet.

And, in typical DSC fashion, prestigious awards in 29 Categories plus a Youth Category and 5 Master Awards.  BONUS:  You get to judge the judges!  Cactus Car Modelers Club Members don't compete against you, but their builds are on display in a special gallery and Registrants vote on those!

We took COVID-19 lemons and made lemonade.  Don't miss out!  

dscV16 - The Virtual Venue

http://www.dscv16.com

16 hours ago, Danno said:

Just a quick note and reminder that the Registration and Entry deadline is looming near --> Only 9 days to go!

Don't miss the OnLine alternative to DESERT SCALE CLASSIC 16!  We all know why DSC16 had to be canceled, but rather than lose a whole year, we went viral!  Virtual!  Please go take a look at how it is shaping up! 

We have 300 entries so far from 50 builders representing 14 states and 3 provinces!  MORE THAN 11,000 visits to the website in the month since we launched!!  

How else can you show off your builds to 11,000 modeling enthusiasts?  

Plus ~ a Virtual Vendor Room where our vendors (and you can be a vendor, too) display items and products for sale via the Internet.

And, in typical DSC fashion, prestigious awards in 29 Categories plus a Youth Category and 5 Master Awards.  BONUS:  You get to judge the judges!  Cactus Car Modelers Club Members don't compete against you, but their builds are on display in a special gallery and Registrants vote on those!

We took COVID-19 lemons and made lemonade.  Don't miss out!  

dscV16 - The Virtual Venue

http://www.dscv16.com

Hi Dann.

I have to ask.

I have visited the website several times over the past couple of weeks, and particularly the "Championship" section containing all of the entrants.

It appeared to me that there were no where near 300 entries the last time that I visited, (very recently) so I counted them and came up with 87 entrants.

Am I missing something?

Are there other pages of entrants that I'm not seeing?

If so, I have not been able to find a way to turn the page.

Many of the categories contain only one or two entrants, including categories such as "Customs" and "Street Machines".

I have to be missing something.

Steve

Even though it's a PITA to prepare for this remote version of a contest, I would think you guys running the show must be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.  It's one thing to try and take decent pictures, I have rigged a studio set just for this show.  It will be a HUGE task to sort through all the entries, and post online.  Kudos for giving this a shot.  Also got me a license plate for some of my models!
527557256_37c.jpg.954c53dce7dd0032b202eac0ad135110.jpg

Steve, 

We have received right at 300 Entries.  There are not that many models showing in the Championship galleries at this time because many of the Contestants haven't yet submitted their photos.  Hopefully, the rest will arrive soon.

Thanks for your interest, and, good luck to you!

3 hours ago, Danno said:

Steve, 

We have received right at 300 Entries.  There are not that many models showing in the Championship galleries at this time because many of the Contestants haven't yet submitted their photos.  Hopefully, the rest will arrive soon.

Thanks for your interest, and, good luck to you!

Thank you for your response Dann.

I knew that there had to be something going on.

Over 200 entries to organize in one week sounds very difficult to me!

I hope that people with pending entries will take mercy upon you and "GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER"!!!!!! :D

Steve

Registration deadline for dscV17 - The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship is 11:59 p.m. MST tonight. That leaves almost 17 hours (from now) to fill out Registration Forms and pony up $2 per Entry to participate in our Anti-COVID-19 Alternative DESERT SCALE CLASSIC!

Join us! Show your stuff! Beautiful Awards! More than 13,000 visits to our website this month!

Hurry! Ending soon (16 hours and 44 minutes now).

dscV16 - The Virtual Venue Model Car Championship Website

• 4 weeks later...

I just went through the DSCv16 website and reviewed all of the winners. Congrats to all who took honors in this ground-breaking event and a shout-out to Codi (Tim) with the Best of Show, Best Detail and Best Engine Master Awards.  Very well deserved.