Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 chevelle yenko

streetmachine11

The engine looks nice! Great details! I built this kit a few months ago and thought the belt and pulley setup looked weird. The belt and pulley setup on this kit is actually wrong for a non A/C engine. The alternator should be mounted on the right side of the engine instead of the same side as the p/s pump. Not a big deal. It just doesn't look right with both accessories hanging on the same side.

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Terrific looking engine!!

Steve

thanks steve!

16 hours ago, larman said:

Outstanding work so far! That engine is top notch!

thank you

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great phantom/what-if project! Fabulous engine work. Special shout-out for using black plug wires, and routing them correctly AROUND, not over, the valve covers. Drive on! B)

yes I have a thing for phantom/what-if yenko cars. even did my 1:1 camaro! I know plug wires go over the covers from the factory but it looks better when there routed around them. 

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Holy Toledo ! That Mark IV is a work of art in its self ! Even has the leads on the freakin' ignition coil ! 

Is it a 427 or an L-78 ? 

yep it was an all day project that engine! it is the l-78 396 from the kit. it's such a nice looking engine I kept it instead of using the 427 from the Corvette. but I'll still put the 427 markings on it anyway visually the same engine

13 hours ago, Metalmad said:

Wow ! Awesome job on the engine.

thank you so much!

13 hours ago, beeRS said:

Very nicely done V8. I can even see, what looks like, a temperature sensor wire going into the inlet manifold! Great detail.

yes temp sender too! good eye thank you

13 hours ago, skinnyhoops said:

Hello first post here, and I wanted to just say that engine is a beauty.  And the custom hood, wow.  I can't wait to see more :)  

hello and welcome! this is a great place to be! thank you more progress soon....

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Where did you get that carb?

fireball modelworks best carbs on the market! as a wide selection to choose from

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Let me guess.........Fireball Modelworks.

Steve

beat me to it! 

2 hours ago, Painted Black said:

I must have gone color blind, they look grey on my screen.

they are grey w/black cap

2 hours ago, Steamboat said:

That engine looks awesome.  What do you use for the small gauge wiring?

the small wire is detail wire from pro-tech 

22 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The engine looks nice! Great details! I built this kit a few months ago and thought the belt and pulley setup looked weird. The belt and pulley setup on this kit is actually wrong for a non A/C engine. The alternator should be mounted on the right side of the engine instead of the same side as the p/s pump. Not a big deal. It just doesn't look right with both accessories hanging on the same side.

yes I thought it looked weird also it just looks to "heavy" on one side. I may move that to the other side so I can make the power steering lines visible and make a more convincing belt instead of the kit part

32 minutes ago, streetmachine11 said:

yes I thought it looked weird also it just looks to "heavy" on one side. I may move that to the other side so I can make the power steering lines visible and make a more convincing belt instead of the kit part

That would be great idea! I did that on a model some years ago and it does add that extra touch. With the alternator out of the way, it would make it easier to install the lines.

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I agree. My buddy has a big block Heavy Chevy non A/C without power steering. It has the alternator on the passenger side. When I built a model of it, I had to raid the parts box.

IMG_1085.JPG

35 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

I intended to build a 68 Yenko Chevelle but found in my research that Yenko did not make any Chevelles in 1968. So... I just kinda winged it.

this chevelle is what inspired me to build this one! I am painting it yellow and black. it's nice to see a build thread and all the work that went into the build. i came across a picture of this car on a resin website and just fell in love with it

On 2/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, streetmachine11 said:

This Chevelle is what inspired me to build this one! I am painting it yellow and black. it's nice to see a build thread and all the work that went into the build. i came across a picture of this car on a resin website and just fell in love with it

Well I am glad I inspired you. I was not aware my build was on a resin website. Do you have a link?

Jason, a few issues I had with this kit were: 

The hood doesn't quite fit flush with the header. Easy fix.

The grille also doesn't fit quite right. The headlight bezels and grille stick out too far. I got mine as close as possible and still had to trim the bezels at the top to get them flush with the header.

The tail light panel and rear bumper will fit much better if you trim off the lip on the bottom of the trunk. I had to trim mine after it was painted and assembled.

The wheel well lips are too thick and don't terminate like they should towards the bottom.  Very noticeable in 3/4 views. Another easy fix.

If you aren't particular about interiors, you'll be OK. If you are, you'll have your work cut out for you.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Plowboy said:

I think that it is correct. 68 was the last year of the alternator on the driver's side, AC or not. Compressor would have been on the passenger side and driven with a long belt. Starting in 69, the alternator moved to the passenger side. An AC car had the compressor on the driver's side,  driven with a shorter belt around a dual groove PS pulley.

fl0111-103176_6.jpg

fl0111-103176_6.jpg

1969ChevelleSS_11.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, Plowboy said:

Jason, a few issues I had with this kit were: 

The hood doesn't quite fit flush with the header. Easy fix.

The grille also doesn't fit quite right. The headlight bezels and grille stick out too far. I got mine as close as possible and still had to trim the bezels at the top to get them flush with the header.

The tail light panel and rear bumper will fit much better if you trim off the lip on the bottom of the trunk. I had to trim mine after it was painted and assembled.

The wheel well lips are too thick and don't terminate like they should towards the bottom.  Very noticeable in 3/4 views. Another easy fix.

If you aren't particular about interiors, you'll be OK. If you are, you'll have your work cut out for you.

thanks for the heads up I'll address these  before paint