Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Freightliner FLA

I have started on a new (possibly too ambitious) project. Hermann has inspired me to build an Freightliner FLA cabover. I started with an AMT dual drive cabover kit, but the old style 71 series cab needs an extensive rework to be turned into an FLA. I started by cutting the front and roof off of the kit cab pieces. The truck that I am building will have a 96" BBC cab, rather than the 86" of the AMT kit. I decided it was easier to make the sides of the cab from scratch. I cut them out of 2 layers of .020" styrene sheet, laying them on top of each other to make a total thickness of .040. This way I could get the right shape to the doors (rounded corners) and extend the length of the cab without adding extra seems.

I widened the kit front, roof, and back wall using strips cut from an old donor cab (which was painted brown). The total width of the cab was increased by 4 scale inches. I also lowered the headlights by 3 scale inches.

2v2HeqRadxAC2cR.jpg

2v2HeqRHFxAC2cR.jpg

Still lots of work to do in order make this thing look like a real cab!

Edited by KJ790

I had to extend the chassis by 10 scale inches to match the longer cab. I also swapped out the spring suspension for an air-ride suspension from a Peterbilt pacemaker. Through the 80's, Freightliner used the same air-ride suspension that Peterbilt used in the 70's, so this made for a nice swap. I sprayed the cab with white primer so that I can see what defects need more work.

2v2HeyNjyxAC2cR.jpg

2v2HeyNMNxAC2cR.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

Looking good , did you move the head lights down still look a bit high ? 

Thanks! Yes I did move the headlights down. I probably should have moved them down a hair more, but then I would be into the heater vent intake on the passenger's side. On the 1:1 the right headlight is about 1" above the heater vent intake, but I don't know how accurate the intake is on the model. The headlight position will have to do for now.

Oh yeah, nice to see somebody else do a conversion on this AMT kit.

14 hours ago, KJ790 said:

I have started on a new (possibly too ambitious) project.

Well KJ, given your previous projects, I think the ambition is justified.?

If i understood it well, you widen the cab or did i misunderstood that?

Looking at the ctm grill, it look like the original wideness of the AMT cab.

I'm asking it, because I'm also working on the same size of this FLA, mine will be a high roof.

Compressed_70.jpg.213258c48513159ce14d498cf81caba8.jpg

If you want the picture removed, just notify me.

Since the rivet work is not done yet, I can always adjust the width of the cab  if necessary.

In any case you have a follower on this one,  I am curious what you will do with the rivets.

Hermann.

7 minutes ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Oh yeah, nice to see somebody else do a conversion on this AMT kit.

Well KJ, given your previous projects, I think the ambition is justified.?

If i understood it well, you widen the cab or did i misunderstood that?

Looking at the ctm grill, it look like the original wideness of the AMT cab.

I'm asking it, because I'm also working on the same size of this FLA, mine will be a high roof.

Compressed_70.jpg.213258c48513159ce14d498cf81caba8.jpg

If you want the picture removed, just notify me.

Since the rivet work is not done yet, I can always adjust the width of the cab  if necessary.

In any case you have a follower on this one,  I am curious what you will do with the rivets.

Hermann.

Thanks Hermann, your builds are definitely an inspiration. Hopefully I can make something close to yours. I did widen the cab by 4 inches. I am going to use a 3D printed grille that I designed to be the correct width. I think I am going to use archer rivets, but I may try some other options on a some scrap pieces first to see if something else will work better for me.

Thank you JK, i have now 2 cabin halves on the table.:lol:?

With the Archer decals you have to be careful when painting, sometimes they get detach at the corners when spraying paint.;)

On 2/10/2020 at 5:22 PM, Mr mopar said:

I did notice that a lot of guy's do the straight back cab where I'm going to do a slant back cab like this !

I would say, bring it on!!!

Hermann.

7 minutes ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Thank you JK, i have now 2 cabin halves on the table.:lol:?

With the Archer decals you have to be careful when painting, sometimes they get detach at the corners when spraying paint.;)

I would say, bring it on!!!

Hermann.

Thx Hermann you guy's make me want to do it so badly  ,but it will be sometime maybe next year sometime ….LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...