Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Plymouth Road Runner Grille

I bought a diecast copy of a Franklin Mint 71 Road Runner.  I was able to carefully remove the grille and remove the mesh part with the bird in it.  I made a mold and was able to successfully sand it open from the back.  I added some yellow die to help detail the bird.  The mesh part could be colored with a black felt pen and I suppose the top purple part could be colored likewise with a purple felt pen.  Like Neal Peart on drums, I can reinvent and improve resin casting ideas and techniques.   This is a cool little piece that will enhance the long wanted detail of your RR build.  RIP Neal,  you were a true master.

Greg

20200203_211952.jpg

20200131_210206.jpg

Edited by Greg Wann

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

What would it take to convert the Monogram 71 GTX into a Roadrunner? 

Mostly scraping off the rocker panel moldings and GTX emblems, and replacing the emblems with Road Runner logos (as well as this nifty bird head for the grille!). The rocker trim in the GTX kit is GTX only- even the top luxury model (Satellite Sebring Plus) got different rocker trim than the GTX.   

The stripe packages and some other options differed between both cars as well. I believe that the interior in the GTX kit could stand in for a deluxe interior as optional for a Road Runner.

The old Monogram 1971 Satellite kit might be an easier starting point, as that body has no emblems or rocker moldings. Also- that old Satellite kit comes with the base Road Runner (non-fresh air) hood, although the Air Grabber hood is correct for a 440+6 engine. 

These cars could be optioned with a vast array of equipment: front and rear spoilers (only available in the GTX kit), 440 4bbl and Hemi engines for the GTX, and 340 4bbl, 383 4bbl, 440+6 and Hemis for the Road Runner, full or canopy vinyl tops (also two-tone paint- where the car gets the vinyl top trim for a full or canopy roof but with a painted roof section instead), different kinds of stripes, Bazooka tips for the exhaust (available from Missing Link Resin), chrome or painted racing mirrors (certain car colors only), and sunroof.

Road Runners could be had as low option cars, showboats (although GTX's usually fulfilled this need) and anything in between.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...