Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hubley model upgrades

Any suggestions on upgrades for the metal Hubley '32 Ford roadster and coupe?   I would like to change the wire wheels to standard steel wheels, with a large rear tire, smaller front tire, for that "high boy" stance.   I think the Hubley's are 1:20 scale.   

Hubley did a '32 Ford hot rod that may have the wheels and other parts you're looking for.  I think it was only issued once, in 1959.  A search on "hubley 32 ford hot rod" will bring some pix of built-ups.  Warning:  the actual built kit looks nothing like the box art.

hub_32.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bainford said:

I wonder if the 1/18 scale world has any options worth using. 

GMP sells 1/18 wheels and tires meant to upgrade diecasts, should the scale difference not matter so much.

https://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_reviews/xq/ASP/manufacturer.gmp/classificationx.576865656C202620546972652053657473/searchScale.1:18/qx/reviewresults.htm

Some may be appropriate for an early Ford.

Thanks for the replies.  I do have the Hubley hot rod, the tires are the same as their other models.  I did try 1:18 bburago tires but they're way too wide, I'll check out GMP.  I did get a set of wheels/tires from some 1:20 Chev Suburban model that might work for rears, need something smaller in diameter for fronts so maybe 1:18 GMP will work.   Thanks all!

I actually find 1/20 to be a very nice scale. It's large enough that parts aren't quite so delicate where you might break them, just removing them from the sprue. But still small enough that kits and built models don't take up that much more space. I would have liked it if more had been kitted.