Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Allison Blue & Gold Charger 500

gks1964

Got the paint on the chassis and the rear differential plumbed along with the pump and cooler. Made the shocks from aluminum tube and steel wire they still need to be painted and installed. Got the body and hood from the painter! 

DSCN0036 (2).JPG

DSCN0037 (2).JPG

7DCBFD9D-9510-4714-9407-190EA2E44007.thumb.jpeg.b1269830f82d0bd134e2e190e9fe158b (2).jpg

Edited by gks1964

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, gks1964 said:

Well get some wheels on it and we have a roller. Had to rebuild it after a crash with a hardwood floor!

Outch! That's hurt but it seem that you made a good recovery Gerald.  I do love the 69 Charger and you do have the attention to detail sir!  Sad that Mopar has quit the NASCAR, It was the best era with the epic battles of the American car makers.  Nice WIP by the way!

Looks nice.
But the hardware you have on the seat is for bolting the belts to the chassis, the part going in to the locking mechanism where the hole is has a longer narrow end...it's maybe too late to fix but now you know for the next build. ;)
I have been around racing harnesses a lot as I help as a crew man on my friends Super Comp Dragster, and we have had both the round style locking mechanism where you click in the belts into the lock, some has a lever to release and some has a knob you turn to release, and the latch style where you lock the belts with a hook.

Edited by Force

On 5/24/2020 at 2:03 AM, Force said:

Looks nice.
But the hardware you have on the seat is for bolting the belts to the chassis, the part going in to the locking mechanism where the hole is has a longer narrow end...it's maybe too late to fix but now you know for the next build. ;)
I have been around racing harnesses a lot as I help as a crew man on my friends Super Comp Dragster, and we have had both the round style locking mechanism where you click in the belts into the lock, some has a lever to release and some has a knob you turn to release, and the latch style where you lock the belts with a hook.

Thanks,

You're right sir! The parts I used was what I had available as I couldn't find anything to match the period and only photo I could find.

69 int..jpg

Wanted to memorialize the work that was done with the dry sump system, plumbing and wiring. Hope to use these parts again in a Superbird, Daytona and Roadrunner. All in all I don't think it looks not to bad.

DSCN0066 (2).JPG

Edited by gks1964

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

You need a spindle adjustment bad.

Yeah, I'd say lose about half or more!!! At this point I need to rebuild the whole front of the chassis. The engine cage is also to tall!

30 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

I always build the engine cage with the chassis in the car. After I had the same problem 

Think I may rebuild the entire chassis! I can use the first one as an example of what not to do! ?  

Gerald, when I was doing the Herb Adams Grand Am I had a chassis totally plumbed and complete. Then I found more pictures of the car in the Petersen Archives and realized he used basically stock frame and suspension. So I had to start all over from scratch. I'm feeling your pain. BTW the formal roof Buick Century is done-just need to build the mold.

1 hour ago, DoctorLarry said:

Gerald, when I was doing the Herb Adams Grand Am I had a chassis totally plumbed and complete. Then I found more pictures of the car in the Petersen Archives and realized he used basically stock frame and suspension. So I had to start all over from scratch. I'm feeling your pain. BTW the formal roof Buick Century is done-just need to build the mold.

Great news on the Buick!! This is the first stock car that I have built in 20 years! The help I have received here has been amazing. Think I'll start fresh on the chassis and use this as a great learning experience.