Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70 Challenger question

I'd check the two kits against each other.  The Monogram kit is 1/24 scale and AMT's convertible is 1/25.  The Revell Challenger (the one based on the diecast) is supposed to be 1/25, but isn't much smaller than the Monogram kit.  

The Monogram kit's interior is likely way better anyway.

Beware- here are my thoughts: 

- the AMT Challenger interior is Ok. Just ok. The upholstery patterns and configuration are correct for an R/T. It also has a Rallye Cluster, correct for an R/T. 

- the Monogram/ Revell (1/24) Challenger T/A Kit has a pretty decent interior. I would say better than the AMT’s. The door panels are very nice. The dash is great, although it has a base instrument Cluster (which could be had in a T/A, but I think the R/T got a rallye cluster only). Still, you might not be able to get away from mixing scales with these pieces. 

- if it were up to me, I would probably try to get either an old MPC Cuda dash (the best  one with a Rallye Cluster, shape-wise to my eyes), or one from the new Revell 1/25 Hemi Cuda. While I’m at it, I would grab the console from the Revell Cuda, as the console in the AMT Challenger looks a little weird. The steering wheel, too. And you would probably have to work on the AMT parcel shelf if you’re going to build a convertible. 

The Revell ‘70 Hemi Cuda has a lot of other detail parts you could use to enhance a Challenger build- wipers, painted mirrors (although note that the AMT Challenger comes with pretty decent chromed side mirrors that could be used on other E and B bodies), suspension pieces, etc, not to mention a really nice Hemi drivetrain, the AMT Challenger’s drivetrain being pretty simple looking. Also: Rallye wheels, better tires, exhaust. 

The AMT kit has the standard (painted) gas cap...I have used the flip top cap from the 1/24 kit on the AMT kit and it looks pretty good. 

And- you could always give the Revell 1/25 “die cast” kit a look for parts...that one is sort of a hot mess, though. You would get some upgrade parts, but then you would find that mostly everything else (hood, grille, valences, etc) won’t fit the AMT 1/25 kit, since they are sized differently. The hoods and T/A parts for the Revell 1/25 are a bit strange looking, too. 

The neat thing about the Revell 1/25 kit is that there are little power window switches cast into the door panels. 

You might actually find the Revell 1/25 Challenger kit to be an upgrade for the interior, I’m just not 100% sure the stuff from that kit will fit the AMT kit.

Thanks, fellas. I know I'll end up using some cross-switching of some parts, just wanted to see if the AMT dash looked appropriately R/T like or not. As far as I recollect, the Monogram T/A has a fairly accurate dash (one version anyway), for a T/A, but I don't think it's really correct for an R/T at all.

The Rallye Instrument Cluster was optional , regardless of model or trim level ; this applies to the Plymouth Barracuda / Gran Coupe / 'Cuda as well . 

I've seen non-performance ( 318 , 383 two barrel )  models with the Rallye Cluster , and Hemi models with the standard instruments . 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, 1972coronet said:

The Rallye Instrument Cluster was optional , regardless of model or trim level ; this applies to the Plymouth Barracuda / Gran Coupe / 'Cuda as well . 

I've seen non-performance ( 318 , 383 two barrel )  models with the Rallye Cluster , and Hemi models with the standard instruments . 

This makes me feel that the kit bash between the two may be very, very doable then. I'll give it a shot, regardless.

As a followup, last night, while looking for something completely different, I uncovered my own AMT convertible kit. All things considered, it's much better than I'd remembered. Mish-mashing parts between the two kits now seems very doable indeed. As to scale differences, in my aircraft modeling, five different manufacturers' interpretations of scale accuracy for the same aircraft, often leads to five different dimensional differences between the same aircraft, so I don't sweat scale too much, I'll just make it fit.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

As a followup, last night, while looking for something completely different, I uncovered my own AMT convertible kit. All things considered, it's much better than I'd remembered. Mish-mashing parts between the two kits now seems very doable indeed. As to scale differences, in my aircraft modeling, five different manufacturers' interpretations of scale accuracy for the same aircraft, often leads to five different dimensional differences between the same aircraft, so I don't sweat scale too much, I'll just make it fit.

The AMT Challenger is not too bad to start with, unless you're building a hardtop (separate roof...).

The interior is OK, the engine not too bad, if a little simple. Adding a few things and careful assembly do pay off with this one.

Please post pics of your completed model when you can!!! 

10 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

The AMT Challenger is not too bad to start with, unless you're building a hardtop (separate roof...).

The interior is OK, the engine not too bad, if a little simple. Adding a few things and careful assembly do pay off with this one.

Please post pics of your completed model when you can!!! 

Thanks a bunch. I certainly will when the time comes. Right now I'm trying to finish off a '40 Willys gasser, then I may well move onto this kit-bash, as my confidence has grown to a point where I now think I can pull it off, at least I certainly hope so.