Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Winternationals.

BaBaBooey

15 hours ago, BaBaBooey said:

This year is the 50th anniversary of the Pro Stock class. They representation of the evolution of the class. It cool to see early cars.

Definitely.The evolution of the cars is pretty remarkable.They obviously are responsible for creating the Pro mod class.The cars of today are just plastic bodies over a chassis.The older cars were much closer to the real car.So many cars through the years.So many drivers.Pro Stock was always my favorite class, that and Pro mod...

Edited by NYLIBUD

Thanks for the pictures, I wish I had been there.

About Pro Stock, I have allways liked the Pro Stock category but the sanctioning bodies have let the class going too far and has deviated too much from what it originally was, in the beginning (1970) the Pro Stock cars were just like Super Stock cars with slightly looser rules, but they still looked like the cars they were supposed to be and was still based on road going cars with engines based on what you could get in your car from the factory.
With the rules like they are today where the bodies of the race cars (mostly Camaro's) doesn't have much resemblence to the street going counterpart and all use one type of engine, the GM DRCE, wich is an aftermarket engine developed purely for drag racing and not available in any car and have never been...how fun is that...both the spectators and car manufacturers has lost interest and the class is slowly dying as the competitors are leaving because it's too expensive, look back 20-25 years where there were maybe 30-35 cars trying to get in the 16 car field, now they barely get 16 cars total for each event.
 I don't understand how taking away the hood scoops (I think race cars look cool with hood scoops) and introducing the electronic fuel injection they use today, and the fact that NHRA has shortened the Pro Stock Calender from 24 events to 18 would make the class more interesting...I'm not against evolution but it doesn't do it for me anyway as all the fun is taken out of it.
So it's maybe time to re-write the rulebooks, go back to square one and do an all new Pro Stock class with car bodies that looks a lot more like the street going counterparts from GM, Mopar and Ford, abandon the 500 cui rule wich was implemented 1982 and do a new engine rule based on the modern V8 engines used in the street cars with a displacement limit of maybe 358 cui or something like that, that will maybe get the interest back for the class from both the spectators and manufacturers.
Just look at the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock classes wich has gained lots of interest the last few years and the car manufacturers are all over it...get the hint!!

2 hours ago, Force said:

Thanks for the pictures, I wish I had been there.

About Pro Stock, I have allways liked the Pro Stock category but the sanctioning bodies have let the class going too far and has deviated too much from what it originally was, in the beginning (1970) the Pro Stock cars were just like Super Stock cars with slightly looser rules, but they still looked like the cars they were supposed to be and was still based on road going cars with engines based on what you could get in your car from the factory.
With the rules like they are today where the bodies of the race cars (mostly Camaro's) doesn't have much resemblence to the street going counterpart and all use one type of engine, the GM DRCE, wich is an aftermarket engine developed purely for drag racing and not available in any car and have never been...how fun is that...both the spectators and car manufacturers has lost interest and the class is slowly dying as the competitors are leaving because it's too expensive, look back 20-25 years where there were maybe 30-35 cars trying to get in the 16 car field, now they barely get 16 cars total for each event.
 I don't understand how taking away the hood scoops (I think race cars look cool with hood scoops) and introducing the electronic fuel injection they use today, and the fact that NHRA has shortened the Pro Stock Calender from 24 events to 18 would make the class more interesting...I'm not against evolution but it doesn't do it for me anyway as all the fun is taken out of it.
So it's maybe time to re-write the rulebooks, go back to square one and do an all new Pro Stock class with car bodies that looks a lot more like the street going counterparts from GM, Mopar and Ford, abandon the 500 cui rule wich was implemented 1982 and do a new engine rule based on the modern V8 engines used in the street cars with a displacement limit of maybe 358 cui or something like that, that will maybe get the interest back for the class from both the spectators and manufacturers.
Just look at the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock classes wich has gained lots of interest the last few years and the car manufacturers are all over it...get the hint!!

Exactly right.I'm 64 yrs old so I've seen a lot of what you said happen thru the years.I've been to lots of National events,Spring Nationals(6times),US Nationals(2),Gator Nationals,lots of local tracks.I rarely watch tv coverage now.To add a little food for thought...looks like there's plenty of open seats.I don't want to sound like I dogging on the NHRA,but I DO think they are completed out of touch with what people want to see.JMO

On a positive note....great pictures & thanks for sharing

13 hours ago, Gizzy said:

Exactly right.I'm 64 yrs old so I've seen a lot of what you said happen thru the years.I've been to lots of National events,Spring Nationals(6times),US Nationals(2),Gator Nationals,lots of local tracks.I rarely watch tv coverage now.To add a little food for thought...looks like there's plenty of open seats.I don't want to sound like I dogging on the NHRA,but I DO think they are completed out of touch with what people want to see.JMO

On a positive note....great pictures & thanks for sharing

Yeah, I was disappointed to see the stands so empty. But with tickets around 70 bucks, parking up to 30 bucks, a hot dog 13 bucks, fries 8 bucks and a 20 ounce soda at 7 bucks. Sure doesnt help things. Torrance Racing was absent, Steve and Billy. Also, the teams they help, Scott Palmer and Mike Salinas. It wasnt but a 13 car Top Fuel field. The weather I'm hoping is the cause for the low turn out, spectator wise.

I've been a fan of NHRA for as long as I can remember, 35 years at least. The entire series has made changes in leaps and bounds, good and bad. 

A personal feeling here, I dont like the countdown. To quote Steve Torrance from a few seasons ago, it's a welfare system for points. I get the entertainment part, wanting to make it more exciting for the fans. I for one, enjoyed seeing certain teams dominate. Like the KB Boys in Pro Stock, Tony Schumacher in early 2000s, Force in the 90s. 

Looking at the brighter things. It was good day. Didnt get rained out for the first time in like 20 years. The teams were in good spirits, especially the Napa team after the disaster they unfortunately endured enroute to prevent season testing. Got to spend time with my family. That doesnt happen much anymore these days. Got the smell of nitro in my nose, got my insides shook by 20000 horsepower. 

Edited by BaBaBooey
Typo