Model Cars Magazine Forum

De Agostini are serving the 1/8 scale fraternity quite well albeit very expensively when you work out how much you have to shell out by the time all the bits are collected to build one!. The Ford GT looks good, but I think that I will look at the Trumpeter or the new Meng kits to detail up. 1/12 sca!e is quite a nice size without being overly big to display. Howevef, I did see the Bond DB5 that a friend of mine made up in 1/8 scale from DAg  and it was most impressive I have to say.

I recieved a Toyota 2000 GT from them. 1/10 scale. So when I received the second call it was a surprise to say the least. These are the pics they sent of the prototype. Looks pretty good. Cannot wait. The USA distributor is a good friend of mine. 

3 hours ago, Brudda said:

I recieved a Toyota 2000 GT from them. 1/10 scale. So when I received the second call it was a surprise to say the least. These are the pics they sent of the prototype. Looks pretty good. Cannot wait. The USA distributor is a good friend of mine. 

... I got a card for Valentines Day ... it was nice ... but

Congrats Bruce!

I’m just a guy that got lucky, . Right place at the right time. My friend Mark from DeAgostini knows a lot of people in the model industry. Especially from over seas. When Liam White from the new( Agora model company) e-mailed to ask if I would build the Shelby Super Snake I was very surprised. He is introducing the model in the USA. Just lucky and I said yes I would like to build it. Keep you guys posted on that one also.

DeAgostini is REALLY killing me as I keep seeing the ads for this model on the board here. I've yet to keep going on the 1/8 '67 Shelby since I moved, and then there's the Eaglemoss 1/8 Mercedes 300SL which I'm just drooling over!

My biggest issue right now is space. My new place has a basement, but ever since my last place got flooded years ago, I worry about flooding now as I'm literally right against the river. So I put nothing of value down there just in case. I have a third floor, but the ceiling up there is VERY low which can be a dangerous thing for tall guys like myself. ;)

For those of you who've gotten their kits before, over time there will end up being a LOT of boxes before it's all said and done. If you're a slow builder like I am, those boxes can stack up mighty fast!

On 2/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, Brudda said:

I’m just a guy that got lucky, . Right place at the right time. My friend Mark from DeAgostini knows a lot of people in the model industry. Especially from over seas. When Liam White from the new( Agora model company) e-mailed to ask if I would build the Shelby Super Snake I was very surprised. He is introducing the model in the USA. Just lucky and I said yes I would like to build it. Keep you guys posted on that one also.

AAAAAH!!! ANOTHER one of my favorites!! WHEN?? Is this the '67 car or the new one?? Looks like this year the bank account is gonna be mighty empty! :D 

• 1 month later...

Hello, here is the first pack on the Ford GT. Met my friend Mark, from DeAgostini, in a parking lot to receive these parts”. Looked like a drug deal”LOL   Not  much to do here yet. Just showing what I received . The paint finish is very good. The intake and stacks look real good. The quality is top notch. Going to detail this one. Not going to get too carried away , but it could use a little more. 

C0DB2C02-B984-45CC-8774-34913C261C54.jpeg

5454BCE0-43CB-4BD5-B40B-BBF4A2839A8C.jpeg

1CA399C7-7DEF-4490-836E-C14B2CDB501D.jpeg

On 2/16/2020 at 5:02 AM, MrObsessive said:

DeAgostini is REALLY killing me as I keep seeing the ads for this model on the board here. I've yet to keep going on the 1/8 '67 Shelby since I moved, and then there's the Eaglemoss 1/8 Mercedes 300SL which I'm just drooling over!

My biggest issue right now is space. My new place has a basement, but ever since my last place got flooded years ago, I worry about flooding now as I'm literally right against the river. So I put nothing of value down there just in case. I have a third floor, but the ceiling up there is VERY low which can be a dangerous thing for tall guys like myself. ;)

For those of you who've gotten their kits before, over time there will end up being a LOT of boxes before it's all said and done. If you're a slow builder like I am, those boxes can stack up mighty fast!

AAAAAH!!! ANOTHER one of my favorites!! WHEN?? Is this the '67 car or the new one?? Looks like this year the bank account is gonna be mighty empty! :D 

Sorry for the slow response sir. The super snake is the 1967 with the thunderbolt Goodyear tires. The kit is just like your DeAgostini Shelby kit. It is white with the tri blue stripes. And it’s available now. I will post the kit soon. I have the first pack and will post it soon. 

Yes UncleScott58, the size is huge. And where do you put them when finished?  The price is big also.   You only live once......if you can , try to get at least one. I gave the Toyota away, but I am going to keep the ford GT. Also doing the super snake in 1/8 also. Going to keep that also. I love the Shelby - ford stuff from the road racing world at this time. So my display will be of that. I wish someone would make a Ferrari P4. Probably my favorite road racing car for the styling. 

• 1 month later...

So tell me Bruce, these models require just assembly?  Looks like they are already painted with decals in place? I presume they provide the tools necessary for assembly?  How do you rate the level of difficulty and skill  needed to assemble?

David, I have the '67 Shelby and if you're going to build the kit right out of the boxes, then yes it's just simple assembly. However, the Shelby to my eyes could stand to have more detail in the engine bay area particularly, as what they give you leaves it too toylike for my tastes.

It's been quite awhile since I worked on mine.........as we speak I got another wheel soaking in lacquer thinner as they're painted silver which isn't correct for those Magstar five spokes. Another thing of note and this will depend on how critical of paint you are, the paint itself at least the body panels on my kit could stand a good rubbing out and polishing. I tested this out on the nose of the body, and it will take the polishing, but the stripes do not. They tend to "run" with any use of water on them when rubbed out and I'll just leave those alone. The built thread for mine is here.

Hope this helps!

I want to add David that they do give you a Phillips head screwdriver to use. The screws are self tapping, but I recommend you have some 3 'N' 1 household oil to very lightly oil the screw holes. There are no threads pre-drilled into the body and oiling them will make things easier. Assembly is pretty straightforward, but just like a model kit I strongly recommend test fitting your parts before screwing them together.

HI Bill...thanks for that information.  Hard to believe they are not super detailed for the price.  I was thinking of tackling one of these but did not want to embark on the build if it was either too difficult to build or the quality was not on par with the cost.  I will for sure check out your build thread.

I have to give the folks at D'Agostini credit where credit is due. They did get the body and interior details spot on as far as shape.........but yeah, they could have added more such as throttle linkage for the carbs, brake/fuel lines, emergency brake cable, etc. On the other hand, they wanted to keep this as straightforward I suppose as possible so if the detail is too much to attain, word would spread how difficult the kit is which would hurt sales.

But...........they are the ONLY ones that make a 1/8 scale 1967 Shelby Mustang!

Hello Slimguy, sorry for the slow response, yes Mr Obsessive is right. They give you a few tools. The model is assembly only with no painting. I will add some detail to this kit. Like the Webber’s look a little plain. But that’s ok , I’ll just add a little to them.( They are easy to assemble. I put together a 1/10 Toyota 2000 GT. In a month. I have a job so it was after work. A few minutes a night).  And that is what I’ll do to the other parts , add a little to where it’s needed. As far as price , it is expensive. No getting around it... But if it is a car you are in love with, you only live once. This will be a centerpiece in a room in my house. Also there is a problem with room. They do take a lot of space. You can paint them if you want. My DeAgostini 2000GT came white and I repainted it. Here are a few pics of the Toyota 2000 GT

C185CC73-464B-4103-81AD-060084BCF7D8.jpeg

A9DE491C-27F5-4A94-8108-F99C0A5BDBD8.jpeg

4E18909D-1CFA-43C1-859F-498E86B96659.jpeg

C6634424-24A6-420B-BA43-FAA04D2962A5.jpeg