Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford F-1 Phantom

I've had this idea rolling around for some time. After building the '36 last year, the idea for this one really set in. Unable to resist any longer, I started hacking. The chassis is from the F-1. But, will have to be modified a lot to get the wheelbase right and the stance I want. Right now, it's literally resting on the axles. But, it's where I want the stance to be. The body is made from the '48 convertible clip, partial cowl and partial doors. It also supplied the rear fenders that have been widened and made to fit. The F-1 supplied the roof, partial cowl, top of doors, rear of the cab, bed floor and sides. Not sure if the chrome strips on the fenders will stay or not. Also, trying to decide on the interior whether to use the F-1 or the convertible. The F-1s would obviously be easier. Maybe I'll do a combo of both. We'll see. The plan for the engine is to use the truck block/trans with the convertible heads, intake, carbs and headers. The plans are subject to change at any time though. I did get enough cobbled together to get an idea of what it will look like somewhat. 

20200213_182316-1.jpg

20200213_182508-1.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

This looks real sleek. I remember your '36 Pick Up build and it was amazing. I have thought doing something on that order someday. The suspension sounds like you're going to need a big dropped front axle or go to an independent front suspension to keep your ride height. I would bring over as much as you can from the '48 and make a De Lux F-1 out of it. 

On 2/14/2020 at 3:15 PM, espo said:

This looks real sleek. I remember your '36 Pick Up build and it was amazing. I have thought doing something on that order someday. The suspension sounds like you're going to need a big dropped front axle or go to an independent front suspension to keep your ride height. I would bring over as much as you can from the '48 and make a De Lux F-1 out of it. 

Thanx! I'm pretty sure I can get it down where it is by doing an axle over conversion. I want to use the convertible interior if possible. The dash at the very least. It'll depend on how much work it'll take to get the door panels to fit. 

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Thanx! I'm pretty sure I can get it down where it is by doing an axle over conversion. I want to use the convertible interior if possible. The dash at the very least. It'll depend on how much work it'll take to get the door panels to fit. 

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The last coupe I built, even with a home spun drop axle, the wishbones were on the frame. Probably wouldn't work to well in 1:1, but this is plastic so I do as I please.  

32 minutes ago, espo said:

The last coupe I built, even with a home spun drop axle, the wishbones were on the frame. Probably wouldn't work to well in 1:1, but this is plastic so I do as I please.  

That's why I went with the pickup's chassis. No wishbones and I can adjust the wheelbase as needed without moving cross members. I built a '48 coupe 2 or three years ago and used the front chassis clip and rearend/springs from a '49 to get it down where I wanted it. 

The old '48 is now resting on it's own suspension! Most of my time has been spent on the chassis: cleaning up the frame, converting the suspension to axle over and getting the wheelbase figured out. The stance is just how I want it. I need to get the engine together to check it for clearance. I've made a few tweaks to the body. Just a little more fine tuning and it'll be ready for primer.

20200217_153426-1.jpg

20200217_153540-1.jpg

Final mockup photos! Everything that needs to be installed has been. Still some tweaks left. But, now I can blow it apart and make some progress. I'll start with the chassis and work my way up. I haven't got a color nailed down yet. It's a toss up between a light gray that may be too subtle or orange that may be too loud. I don't have either one in the stash. So, I may just go with something I have on hand. I also can't make up my mind about keeping the gas door on the fender or putting the filler neck back on the cab. Tail lights are another issue. Use the car's or the truck's? 

20200218_212358-1.jpg

20200218_212107-1.jpg

20200218_211946-1.jpg

20200218_212147-1.jpg

I really like the Flathead engine. I built a '49 Ford F-1 and did it in TS-42 light Gun Metal with some company signage as a tow rig for the Revell Midget & Trailer. Red wheels and the signage was small and also in red. Many of the old Ford colors would look good like the Dark Blue or Green and Maroon. Consider Fire Engine Red as some thing to consider. What ever color you use it's going to look great. 

I now have all of the major components prepped and ready for primer. Hopefully, I can get that done today.

20200224_122236-1.jpg.18ce51b1ca9d184880d59542b2af9a87.jpg 

I didn't do a whole lot of work to the frame. I removed the muffler mount to clean it up. I removed the front cross member of the spare mount, added a new member at the very rear of the frame, narrowed and boxed the truck's gas tank to fit and filled the rear spring mounting holes. Instead of cutting notches for the rearend out of the frame, I cut down the needed amount and gradually faded out the cuts. I removed the running board braces and relocated them to go under the step board. Up front, I added a couple chunks of styrene to the frame horns and shaped them to fit up to the splash pan. This also gives me something to mount the bumper braces to.

20200224_122504-1.jpg.17351e27a32ae113c1d536e9445f1561.jpg

The floorpan is a combination from both kits. The pickup supplied the floor pan. The convertible supplied the side pockets. A strip of .020 styrene was used to fill in the front. 

20200224_122637-1.jpg.ffa6bc544699a2cea235555538a6e34a.jpg

20200224_122849-1.jpg.946fcb7d3f5c259702805faacfa84517.jpg

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Do you have a body color picked out yet!

I think I do Carl. Right now, I'm planning on painting it Tamiya AS-29 Gray Green. It's kind of a stockish looking color. Don't know if I will shoot pearl over it or not. Kinda doubt it. Depends on the shade of the color. The interior and wheels will get Tamiya Light Sand.  

13 hours ago, slusher said:

I have a can of that color I was going to shoot on a 62 Impala but have not built it yet..

Have you sprayed anything with it yet? If you have, I'd like to see a photo to have a better idea of what it actually looks like.