Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lee Smith 65 Plymouth AWB

Brutalform

Got bored with the 65 Galaxie. Just not feeling it, so back on the shelf it goes. 
Couldn’t wait to get started on this Moebius AWB. I plan to add a little more detail to the Hilborn injection system, using some black wire. I’m using this photo from the Max Perf book, as a reference. This system will use the long tubes, because from what I’ve read, the long tubes were used on the automatic cars, and the short on the four speeds. Smiths car started out as a four speed, so this is the route I’m taking. 

E5A2CE18-1085-4815-AE22-42144E26ADDB.jpeg

B942165C-F0D1-494C-8BFC-D02448495674.jpeg

EDF17925-17B0-4F3B-8519-6AA7300D2150.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

I drilled the manifold fuel block so I can run fuel lines to each separate tube, and a main fuel supply line to the under hood fuel tank. After the holes were drilled in the tubes, each line will get a hollow bolt head, where the line fits the tube. That will be later as I do the engine final assembly. 

A960C59C-A4BC-4F4E-B5F1-160D5A0D9C61.jpeg

9E1D9B4F-F791-4582-AEAC-DDD81E4DBA18.jpeg

A64F4163-E815-44EA-BD58-DF03E2E28548.jpeg

C2CB795D-0F28-40D1-8594-91F16E500996.jpeg

I like the subject of your build. I have two questions for you. You have done your research on this and my question has to do with the doors. Your picture of the real car shows what looks to me anyway is that the drivers door is a sedan door. I'm looking at the white colored metal surrounding the glass. The roof is a Hardtop Roof and the quarter side glass looks like a Hardtop glass and the rear portion of the roof is definitely a Hardtop in shape. As I recall many of these cars were cobbled together with what ever they may have had around the shop. While looking at your new grill, and realizing your still mocking up things at this point, the grill looks flat and the 1:1 grill was raised at the center bar and curved back from there to the top and bottom edge of the grill. opening. The wheels look good and I like your engine and fuel injection set up. 

Thanks everyone. 

JC the PE parts are from MCG.

David, the grill will bend very easily to resemble the real grill. I notice on the real car there is a body color support directly behind the center of the grill. Right now, I am painstakingly removing the center from the kit supplied grill, trying to get the chrome trim that surrounds the grill off in one piece. Hopefully if it all works out as planned, it will hold the PE grill in place, acting like a frame. Good thing I have a couple extras lying around just in case this one gets messed up. 
As for the door trim, there is a piece molded in the clear side window that separates the door and rear glass. It could be painted white to match the car, and then add some strip styrene around the top. 

Also, there is a seller on Ebay that I've purchased many decals from. Very reputable seller. I believe he goes by the name of Repols. He does a much better set of decals for this car. Fremont decals are good but this other set has the correct foil lettering, pinstripes, correct colors and the message that is printed across the trunk.

20200219_223157-vi.jpg

21 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Also, there is a seller on Ebay that I've purchased many decals from. Very reputable seller. I believe he goes by the name of Repols. He does a much better set of decals for this car. Fremont decals are good but this other set has the correct foil lettering, pinstripes, correct colors and the message that is printed across the trunk.

20200219_223157-vi.jpg

I wish I knew about these decals. I had the car masked originally to have the front fenders and hood remain white, just like the 1:1car.  Then I realized these decals I bought don’t have any of the gold foil trim. So I decided to just paint the fenders and tip of the hood all blue. It would have looked bad without the gold trim to separate the white and blue. Your decals even has the “Plymouth” for the hood and mine does not. 

Oh well... In to the purple pond it will go, if I can score these decals. Probably will end up cutting the Hilborn tubes, and building the stick shift version.

2E11BACE-787D-4D30-A260-E6B8A568B847.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform